Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove my yellow beast in the winter and now I have white spot corrosion on the aluminum engine brackets. Does anyone have an easy way to clean this off? There ares so many intricate crevices, It looks difficult to clean up without scratches or marks.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Us Too

We had this problem too but, while visiting Toronto (where we also got the ChipGuard on the full front and the rocker panels) and driving in a lot of salt decided to have the baby sprayed by Krown Rust Proofing.

Not sure what this foamy pink stuff is. They call it a "chassis lubricant" and "rustproofing" that virtually eliminated the chassis noises our truck had. This Krown stuff also seems to have either covered up or washed off the white stuff caused by the salt. The surfaces are not as smooth as before the salt but this stuff does work as we had our Ford Lightning done twice up there on alternating years and never had the bad chassis noises the Fords are known for after the first treatment and NO rust after four winters (sold it to a friend last fall when the SSr showed up).

Found out about Krown through a friend in the Jaguar Club in Toronto who has a concours XKE and has this car done bi-annually. Also, the mechanics really seem to like it as it keeps the nuts and bolts very easy to take off and is not sticky/waxy like some of the other products. The XKE is in fabulous shape and the buddy credits the Krown product. Cost was like less than US$100 each time and my feeling, based on the Lightning experience, is more than positive.
:seeya

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Ah yes. Al2O3 (Aluminum Oxide) Aka aluminum rust. :)

Is taking the part off the car, entirely, out of the question? :):)

Best if it is taken care of before it happens. Chemical means would make it easy but I wouldn't want to us that in-situ. It would have to be followed up with neutralization and barrier treatment.

I wonder if marine tech. in the form of sacrifical zinc plugs bolted to the chassies would help. Otherwise a barrier is the only way to keep control.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Corrosion

Freezer,

Being down here in SoFla n living close 2 salt water we hav similar probs on our boats. We use a product called T-9. It comes in a spray can available in most any hardware/home center down here. Its actually used on aircraft from what I've been told n seems 2 do the trick. We apply it 2-3x/yr with no other prep or probs. U may want 2 clean up any existing serious probs b4 using.

Also, ur "private message" box is full. Can't send u any PM's.
:nono

:cool

1 - 4 of 4 Posts