Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after years of putting it off I am finally going to tackle dressing the engine on TUFANUF. first will be the engine cover. I have seen other members have painted theirs. my question is, did they sand the rough plastic or use filler to smooth it for paint. I want to paint it black with blue and purple flames to match our R. thanks for any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
The cover has a texture. I guess you are wanting it to be smooth when finished, like the body?

I painted my gauge pod. I did sand it and put a lot of time in it. I ordered the paint and primer. I had some left over so I decided to do the engine cover as well.

I'm happy with the cover. All I did was clean it good so there was no oil or other grime on it. A few coats of primer. a few of finish coat, and a few of clear coat. and I was done, with plenty of time to dry in between.
If you are impatient, you need to find something else to do. We were away a few days inbetween some of my coats.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Cover looks nice Wolfpacker did you paint the vortex or is that the original color coming thru?
Thanks, I put tape over the vortec logo. ( I could have done a better job, it would have made the touch up easier. But I didn't know what I was doing-you know how it is the first time around)
Then I removed the tape and put the primer and finish coat on with a model brush. Yeah, a lot of work. Would be much easier to just paint it. But I like the way it highlights the cover.

Iv'e included some images of different steps. I didn't have any with the tape on.

Attachments

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
5,741 Posts
TUFANUF, when you say filler, did you mean like body putty? I know that method is common for the interior but I would not do that to the engine area as the heat and flexing would likely make it crack off. Stick with sanding and priming. if you decide to paint your engine cover, I have done a few, I would suggest a few things.....

1. Yes, if you want a nice smooth finish then you will need to sand it down a little and also use some high build primer.

2. After you sand the cover down a little make sure you use plastic adhesion promoter before you use the primer and anytime you see the plastic coming through between sanding. I use Duplicolor from a spray can and have good success.

3. Always best to use automotive 2 or 3 stage paint and not an off the shelf spray can as the automotive paints are more robust and will last longer.

I do agree with the 2 above comments, getting a fiberglass one would save a lot of time sanding, I think the one from Eric is more stock looking and the one from DG is slightly stylized, both look great.

Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
after years of putting it off I am finally going to tackle dressing the engine on TUFANUF. first will be the engine cover. I have seen other members have painted theirs. my question is, did they sand the rough plastic or use filler to smooth it for paint. I want to paint it black with blue and purple flames to match our R. thanks for any suggestions.
TUFANUF: Dragon2 finished mine, very pleased with results. Also did fuse box cover.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
05 06 cover

anyone make a 05-06 model.

dave
I installed a 2011 Camaro v8 cover. It required a little bit of trimming around the throttle body and came out good. You can also use a late model GTO cover or Holden, G8 cover.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
21 Participants
Redracr
Chevy SSR Forum
Chevy SSR Forum - where SSR fans discuss modifications, wheel & tire tech, performance and so much more!
Full Forum Listing