Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Ret. Air Force
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
@TruckingeeSSR Mike and Kay need our help! Kay was driving the R today and the engine completely shut down while on her way home from the Atlanta Airport. She made it safely to the side of the road and AAA is on the way with a Flatbed wrecker.

Kay took this picture of the dash, you can see two different engine lights are on. She says the engine will turn over when she turns the key but no ignition.

This is all the information I have at this time. Mike is currently on the road and asked me to post this on his behalf.

Attachments

·
Dr Who
649 Posts
@TruckingeeSSR Mike and Kay need our help! Kay was driving the R today and the engine completely shut down while on her way home from the Atlanta Airport. She made it safely to the side of the road and AAA is on the way with a Flatbed wrecker.

Kay took this picture of the dash, you can see two different engine lights are on. She says the engine will turn over when she turns the key but no ignition.

This is all the information I have at this time. Mike is currently on the road and asked me to post this on his behalf.
What year SSR?

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,400 Posts
Could be the dreaded fuse box wire also check ignition fuse.
I think it sounds like the fuse block issue and if it has been sitting for a half hour or so it should be about ready to start again and if you do not push it is should get home. Just talked to Alex and he asked me to post this. Said you are near Dragon 2 U and He should be able to repair it.
Hope this helps. If there are questions you are welcome to cal 626-825-1966 and I will try to help from CA if I can. Been there, done that and I know it is scary!

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,394 Posts
Do BOTH Engine lights come on with the fuse box issue? Like in the picture?

Nick

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,400 Posts
Do BOTH Engine lights come on with the fuse box issue? Like in the picture?

Nick
I must admit that when it happened to me I saw a lot of lights on the dash but was more worried about navigating 4 lanes of traffic at 60 mph and do not remember specific lights. By the time the tow got me to the dealer the engine started just fine.

Reactions: S2NAZ

·
Ret. Air Force
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE: Kay was able to start the R one more time...but still had the truck towed back home. She is home safely.
Thanks for all the help and suggestions and concern from our family members.
Mike will still need help and advise in the following days, once he gets back home.

Any other comments and suggestions are still very welcomed.
Sounds like it may be the fuse box re-wiring problem that many 05 and 06 owners suffer. Maybe Mike @Dragon2U in Warner Robins will be able to help

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,670 Posts
The symptoms you describe is exactly what occurs with bad fuse box.

Broken wire from production gets hot from engine heat, lifts, engine shuts down, cools down, engine starts.

You can get it repaired and eliminate the problem. 05/06 SSR ONLY!

Several repair fuse boxes. I have repaired ones in stock, send your box, I send repaired box same day.

Exchange, your old box and $100 for labor/shipping, you get repaired/tested box.

My SSR How to Library link: https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5

Look up FUSE BOX REPAIR.

Dicktator

1. You can see broken wire under magnifying glass. Manufacturing defect.
2. Wire separated to show break
3. Fuse Box has to be completely taken apart.
4. I run/recommend NEW wire installed in straight path.
5. Test repair.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
I can send you a Temporary Fuse Box Jumper.
The jumper will prove if the fuse box wire is or is not causing you engine shutdowns.
Install the jumper;
If the engine runs correctly with the jumper installed, the fuse box wire is defective and the wire needs to be replaced or bypassed.
If the engine shutdowns still occur with the jumper installed - the fuse box wire is not causing the issue
PM me with your name & address, if you want to try the Temporary Jumper Test.

·
Caretaker of Max'sSSR
171 Posts
Only 05/06 issue?

The symptoms you describe is exactly what occurs with bad fuse box.

Broken wire from production gets hot from engine heat, lifts, engine shuts down, cools down, engine starts.

You can get it repaired and eliminate the problem. 05/06 SSR ONLY!

Several repair fuse boxes. I have repaired ones in stock, send your box, I send repaired box same day.

Exchange, your old box and $100 for labor/shipping, you get repaired/tested box.

My SSR How to Library link: https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5

Look up FUSE BOX REPAIR.

Dicktator

1. You can see broken wire under magnifying glass. Manufacturing defect.
2. Wire separated to show break
3. Fuse Box has to be completely taken apart.
4. I run/recommend NEW wire installed in straight path.
5. Test repair.
Just checking.....is this primarily an 05-06 issue?

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Alright here's the latest. R has randomly started last day or two, more would start than wouldn't. When it wouldn't start it cranks like a beast but no firing. I've also noticed that the ignition has a tendency to stick when it won't start. Local repair shop read a code of driver 5 line 2. This sound familiar to anyone ? Originally I thought this was the fuse box issue and was going to have Dragon2u fix it for me. I still plan on doing that but does this sound like the problem affecting it now. If it is the fuse box would it crank and not fire or would everything be dead ?? Appreciate any opinions or help.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,670 Posts
My limited experience, 12yrs, it would be dead! NOT crank.

05 had recall on fuel pump.

Had problem with fuel pressure.

But check with Mike Moro aka Simple Engineering.

Dicktator

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,276 Posts
The cranking and not firing as well as multiple warning lights on the cluster were the same symptoms as the bad OEM black ignition switch on the Pace Truck. Did this multiple times to me leaving me temporarily stranded. It also tried to lock the key in the key cylinder when it occurred. Battery was recently replaced at the time so not a voltage issue. The continued cranking even after you release the key is the manner in which the ECM is programmed to start at least on the 05-06 LS2 engine. The ECM controls the starter after it receives "start enable" and disengages the starter after it determines engine has started. Without firing the engine will continue to crank until the ECM times it out or you turn the key off. After replacement of the ignition switch on Bess' Pace truck, we had no more intermittent start issues. Doubt this is your same issue but at least some similar symptoms.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Alright here's the latest. R has randomly started last day or two, more would start than wouldn't. When it wouldn't start it cranks like a beast but no firing. I've also noticed that the ignition has a tendency to stick when it won't start. Local repair shop read a code of driver 5 line 2. This sound familiar to anyone ? Originally I thought this was the fuse box issue and was going to have Dragon2u fix it for me. I still plan on doing that but does this sound like the problem affecting it now. If it is the fuse box would it crank and not fire or would everything be dead ?? Appreciate any opinions or help.
What was the code #, the description is not familiar to me, may be to someone else?

I am not sure if the fuse box failure will allow truck to crank, It will shut down injectors, ignition coils and O2 sensors heaters. I have not researched all of the five fuses in the circuit and the possible complaints. I do know from my research and the information from Dicktators great one drive and the powerpoint from ED regarding this issue. The fuse box failure prevents relay #42 from being energized and that would shout of power to fuses 28, 29, 33, 34, 35 ,36. This definitely prevents a no start = no crank ???? If I owned an 05-06 I would pull relay 42 and let you know. Maybe someone else that has had a fuse box failure or more experience than I have will comment on this.
I do believe my test procedure is valid.

This is tested easily using a test light or voltmeter at the underhood fuse box.
Check one or all of the above mentioned fuses for voltage WHEN THE PROBLEM IS OCCURRING. If you do not find any voltage getting to those fuses you can suspect a fuse box or relay issue.

Best of luck let us know what you find.

EDIT - I believe @river_rat explained the the "stuck" ignition! And it is the same for 03 -04 and many other GM models
Something I left out - and while I was typing this.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts