Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello SSR owners. I need your help with a problem that I caused while using my husband's SSR (yes--he let's me drive the SSR but maybe that will stop now Ugh!). And, yes, I am using his SSRFanatic.com account to reach out to all of you with this problem that is weighing on my mind and heart. So, the details.... The SSR is a 2005 model year with larger V8 engine and automatic transmission. It is a low mileage SSR (we drive it only on drive pavement and when sun is shining with no chance of snow or rain -- yes, my OCD husband babies it a lot!). Anyway, two days ago, I drove the SSR to a restaurant to pick up two pies for a forthcoming birthday party. As it was very cold outside (-2F --> yes we live up north BUT there was no snow on ground and the SSR would not get wet or dirty -- a no-no with my OCD husband Ha!), I left the SSR idling with heater on (fan setting of 3) while I went into the restaurant. It took time to get these freshly-made pies (plus I visited with some friends having coffee -- a mistake, I know!). I kept an eye on the SSR (thinking it could be broken into and stolen) while visiting/waiting, and things were fine for first 30 minutes or so. Suddenly, I noticed that fluid was dripping out of engine onto the pavement (it was indeed coolant coming from the overflow(???) tube that is on the white coolant tank on passenger's side of the engine compartment) plus steam was coming out too (I could see steam and i could hear hissing/sizzling sound coming from engine. I opened up the driver's side door and saw that the temp gauge was at 260. I panicked and shut off the engine and removed the key. I waited for the steam to subside (and hissing sound to stop). I then opened up the hood and left the SSR sit in cold winter air for about 20 minutes or so. I then started the SSR (it sounded fine and there were no lights or sounds coming from engine) and drove it our home (about 1/4 mile from restaurant). I watched the temp gauge and it started out at 100, and rose to less than 200 by the time I got home). I then turned off SSR and left it in garage and it has not moved for two days. So, I am wondering if you could provide some guidance on what I should do to repair or take care of the SSR. Have I ruined/damaged the engine when it overheated and coolant flowed out and steam appeared? Should I have SSR towed the Chevrolet dealer and have them check for any damages (and what do I tell them to look for???)? Should I have the Chevrolet dealer do a radiator flush and refill and check coolant system? Should the dealer replace any hoses or caps or valves or seals on coolant system? Is the engine oil OK (I think my husband has it filled with Mobil 1 oil, and he did so about 100 miles ago (it is a low mileage SSR -- only 8,000 miles total to date) based upon the oil change sticker. Any assistance and help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!! and If you live close enough to me, I am happy to bring you pies to thank you for responding to my plea for help! God bless all of you SSR Fanatics!

·
SSR Believer
911 Posts
Based on your nicely detailed description there's no need to panic or worry too much in my opinion. Bottom line, if you were able to let it cool off and drove it home with no noticeable ill effects and there were no "check engine" lights on, there was almost certainly no permanent damage done. The LS2 engine in your SSR is a pretty tough piece of machinery.

Stock SSRs are somewhat notorious for overheating. If you're driving down the road at most any speed there's enough air coming across the radiator to keep things nice and cool, around 190 to 210 degrees on the gauge. However the SSR's engine compartment is pretty tight and the OEM cooling fan is poorly designed, often not capable of pulling enough air through the radiator to keep it cool on a hot day in bumper-to-bumper traffic or, as you found out the hard way, if left to idle for an extended time. The overflow and steam you saw was coming from the white overflow or "surge tank" which was doing its job.

It would be a good idea to take it in to have someone check the coolant level, radiator hoses, water pump, thermostat, etc. especially if none of those parts have been replaced. I avoid dealers like the plague, but a good local mechanic should be able to take good care of you. If you post the town you're in someone here will likely be able to make a recommendation.

You should be safe to drive it to the repair shop. Before you go have a look in the overflow tank to see if there's enough coolant/water in it. Remove the cap when it's COLD, though. Never open it if it's hot! You may need to add some water to bring the level up a bit, but not to the top per the directions attached from the owner's manual.

If it's never been replaced, I'd order a new pressure cap for the coolant tank for sure. The seals are known to go bad after a few years.

Going forward you might consider replacing the cooling fan with one almost everyone here uses from Simple Engineering. It's easy to replace (DIY video here) and worth every penny. Makes a great birthday present. Just sayin' ;)

Others will chime in with more advice. @Mike in AZ is an SSR cooling system expert. He'll have more comforting words I'm sure. You've come to the right place!

Let us know how things go. Now you can relax a bit. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Dear Mrs. Docdenny666,
I agree entirely with richsadams, however as cold as you indicate the outside temp was I wonder if the electric cooling fan was/is working at all. As he indicated if you are moving at all at that temp the engine should not run much over t'stat opening temp. I would think at -2F any movement of air by the electric fan would have been sufficient to keep it cool at idle. Definitely check the coolant level, since you use the truck so little it may have been low and not noticed and check the fan, with no A/C it should cycle on at above about 210F or should come on with A/C engagement regardless. If it is not working definitely get with simple engineering about a replacement, certainly before spring and warm weather. I too think you should not worry at all about having damaged the engine at 260F. That motor will take more than that for a short period of time.
Tuckerred :cool:

·
Registered
901 Posts
Great info rich flushing out the cooling system and changing the thermostat should be done periodically especially if the truck is not used much. As mentioned above the OEM fan might not be working and should be replaced with one of Mike's would be money well spent on this. One more thing get out there and use that SSR enjoy it thats what you bought it for, hope to see you at a rally down the road.

·
Premium Member
6,323 Posts
Hello SSR owners. I need your help with a problem that I caused while using my husband's SSR (yes--he let's me drive the SSR but maybe that will stop now Ugh!). And, yes, I am using his SSRFanatic.com account to reach out to all of you with this problem that is weighing on my mind and heart. So, the details.... The SSR is a 2005 model year with larger V8 engine and automatic transmission. It is a low mileage SSR (we drive it only on drive pavement and when sun is shining with no chance of snow or rain -- yes, my OCD husband babies it a lot!). Anyway, two days ago, I drove the SSR to a restaurant to pick up two pies for a forthcoming birthday party. As it was very cold outside (-2F --> yes we live up north BUT there was no snow on ground and the SSR would not get wet or dirty -- a no-no with my OCD husband Ha!), I left the SSR idling with heater on (fan setting of 3) while I went into the restaurant. It took time to get these freshly-made pies (plus I visited with some friends having coffee -- a mistake, I know!). I kept an eye on the SSR (thinking it could be broken into and stolen) while visiting/waiting, and things were fine for first 30 minutes or so. Suddenly, I noticed that fluid was dripping out of engine onto the pavement (it was indeed coolant coming from the overflow(???) tube that is on the white coolant tank on passenger's side of the engine compartment) plus steam was coming out too (I could see steam and i could hear hissing/sizzling sound coming from engine. I opened up the driver's side door and saw that the temp gauge was at 260. I panicked and shut off the engine and removed the key. I waited for the steam to subside (and hissing sound to stop). I then opened up the hood and left the SSR sit in cold winter air for about 20 minutes or so. I then started the SSR (it sounded fine and there were no lights or sounds coming from engine) and drove it our home (about 1/4 mile from restaurant). I watched the temp gauge and it started out at 100, and rose to less than 200 by the time I got home). I then turned off SSR and left it in garage and it has not moved for two days. So, I am wondering if you could provide some guidance on what I should do to repair or take care of the SSR. Have I ruined/damaged the engine when it overheated and coolant flowed out and steam appeared? Should I have SSR towed the Chevrolet dealer and have them check for any damages (and what do I tell them to look for???)? Should I have the Chevrolet dealer do a radiator flush and refill and check coolant system? Should the dealer replace any hoses or caps or valves or seals on coolant system? Is the engine oil OK (I think my husband has it filled with Mobil 1 oil, and he did so about 100 miles ago (it is a low mileage SSR -- only 8,000 miles total to date) based upon the oil change sticker. Any assistance and help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!! and If you live close enough to me, I am happy to bring you pies to thank you for responding to my plea for help! God bless all of you SSR Fanatics!
Please post back and tell us what the problem was when you find out?

·
BLU SSR
2,151 Posts
I can't disagree with the above advice and if it starts and runs OK after setting for a couple days and cooling off completely it will be fine. Given the outside temp. and the amount of time it was at idle, I would be very surprised if the fan is working. Don't let the low mileage fool you, the OEM fans are notorious for early failures, mine quit at 11,000 and many failed sooner. So do you and your SSR a favor and order a fan from Mike at Simple Engineering.
Let us know how things turn out and STOP BEATING YOURSELF UP - IT WASN'T YOUR FAULT.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,656 Posts
Like the guys have said, don’t let this event rattle you.

There are a couple basics to cover...... Be sure there is sufficient coolant in the surge tank to get you where you need to go for service. No reason for towing. Check the Cooling Fan Fuse in the engine compartment fuse box. It’s the yellow 60 amp square fuse at the inboard forward corner of the fuse box. If the fuse is good and you have adequate coolant, head on down to your favorite repair shop or dealership for troubleshooting. Ask them to simply test the cooling fan operation using a “GM Tech 2” hand-held tester. It’s a very comprehensive piece of test equipment that will allow them to command the main cooling fan to the two “on” states. I suspect this is where you will find the problem. If the fan works, they will probably not have any difficulty isolating root cause and repairing it.

If your cooling fan has failed, contact me and I’ll send you a new one. With a price under $400, delivered, it is less than 1/3 the price of the GM part ($1265 retail) and has a 5 year / 50,000 mile warranty. Installation is less than 20 minutes for a novice and it comes with very clear directions.

We have your back. Don’t sweat it.

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,948 Posts
Might be just a simple Radiator cap not being tight. Also check Coolant, then top it off. Happened to me one time when I had an 05 and all it was, was a loose Radiator Cap. Replenished the Coolant, tightened up the Cap and everything was OK. tennesseecozydog.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
27,464 Posts
Might be just a simple Radiator cap not being tight. Also check Coolant, then top it off. Happened to me one time when I had an 05 and all it was, was a loose Radiator Cap. Replenished the Coolant, tightened up the Cap and everything was OK. tennesseecozydog.
But remember that "top it off" does not mean fill it to the top, Just to the fill line.

·
Slingshot Rules!
64,858 Posts
This story brings back many memories . . .

My Dad who worked in the Auto Industry his entire life, always "preached" . . . Regardless of the conditions, NEVER allow the engine to idle for more than a minute or two . . . NEVER.

Nowadays, with all of the electronics and other "stuff" in the engine compartment restricting air flow, I believe Dad's message would be even more significant.

! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: !

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
27,464 Posts
This story brings back many memories . . .

My Dad who worked in the Auto Industry his entire life, always "preached" . . . Regardless of the conditions, NEVER allow the engine to idle for more than a minute or two . . . NEVER.

Nowadays, with all of the electronics and other "stuff" in the engine compartment restricting air flow, I believe Dad's message would be even more significant.

! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: !
That would be in the days when I was told to let the engine warm up and get the lubricant flowing before you head out in the morning?

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Hello SSR owners. I need your help with a problem ...
One more thing to consider ...
I had a similar issue last time I had the SSR in extremely cold temps. I drove to work one morning in the ice and snow and, when I parked, had billowing steam come from under the hood. Popped the hood and saw coolant spraying from the overflow tank onto the engine and firewall. When all settled down, it was the result of a crack in the overflow tank itself, not a loose or cracked hose. The crack in the overflow tank was in the "crook" of the tank at the mid-point between the upper and lower halves of the tank, This is the side facing the engine and "below" where the two hoses attach near the top. Fortunately, the overflow tanks are readily available and I purchased one the same day from Autozone for about $32.
The crack in the overflow tank was difficult to spot because of its location ... I was able to tell because that is from where the coolant was spraying.

Give the tank a good once-over and maybe the problem can be corrected by simply swapping in a new overflow tank.

·
SSR Believer
911 Posts
One more thing to consider ...
I had a similar issue last time I had the SSR in extremely cold temps. I drove to work one morning in the ice and snow and, when I parked, had billowing steam come from under the hood. Popped the hood and saw coolant spraying from the overflow tank onto the engine and firewall. When all settled down, it was the result of a crack in the overflow tank itself, not a loose or cracked hose. The crack in the overflow tank was in the "crook" of the tank at the mid-point between the upper and lower halves of the tank, This is the side facing the engine and "below" where the two hoses attach near the top. Fortunately, the overflow tanks are readily available and I purchased one the same day from Autozone for about $32.
The crack in the overflow tank was difficult to spot because of its location ... I was able to tell because that is from where the coolant was spraying.

Give the tank a good once-over and maybe the problem can be corrected by simply swapping in a new overflow tank.
That’s certainly a possibility. The previous owner had to replace the surge tank in ours a few years ago for the same reason. He included a receipt from SE for a new one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Based on your nicely detailed description there's no need to panic or worry too much in my opinion. Bottom line, if you were able to let it cool off and drove it home with no noticeable ill effects and there were no "check engine" lights on, there was almost certainly no permanent damage done. The LS2 engine in your SSR is a pretty tough piece of machinery.

Stock SSRs are somewhat notorious for overheating. If you're driving down the road at most any speed there's enough air coming across the radiator to keep things nice and cool, around 190 to 210 degrees on the gauge. However the SSR's engine compartment is pretty tight and the OEM cooling fan is poorly designed, often not capable of pulling enough air through the radiator to keep it cool on a hot day in bumper-to-bumper traffic or, as you found out the hard way, if left to idle for an extended time. The overflow and steam you saw was coming from the white overflow or "surge tank" which was doing its job.

It would be a good idea to take it in to have someone check the coolant level, radiator hoses, water pump, thermostat, etc. especially if none of those parts have been replaced. I avoid dealers like the plague, but a good local mechanic should be able to take good care of you. If you post the town you're in someone here will likely be able to make a recommendation.

You should be safe to drive it to the repair shop. Before you go have a look in the overflow tank to see if there's enough coolant/water in it. Remove the cap when it's COLD, though. Never open it if it's hot! You may need to add some water to bring the level up a bit, but not to the top per the directions attached from the owner's manual.

If it's never been replaced, I'd order a new pressure cap for the coolant tank for sure. The seals are known to go bad after a few years.

Going forward you might consider replacing the cooling fan with one almost everyone here uses from Simple Engineering. It's easy to replace (DIY video here) and worth every penny. Makes a great birthday present. Just sayin' ;)

Others will chime in with more advice. @Mike in AZ is an SSR cooling system expert. He'll have more comforting words I'm sure. You've come to the right place!

View attachment 572540
Hello Richsadams and all of you SSRFanatics! Oh my word! All of you SSRFanatics have been so kind, thoughtful, and helpful to me!!! You have put my mind to rest with you great advice, ideas, insights and solutions! What a wonderful support group all of you have been to me! I wish I had such great support coming from my girlfriends (yeah, sometimes it is like a Real Wives of Car Lover Husbands ("RWOCLH") when I get together Ha! Ha! Ha!). I am so impressed with how everyone here has responded to my plea for help and advice -- you all are fantastic SSRfanatics! I am so thankful for your timely responses. I don't know how I am going to get homemade pies to all of you -- but I will think of something appropriate to give all of you as a token of my appreciation. In the meantime, I thank each and everyone of you that has helped me out with great advice and solutions. God bless all of you and your families! And, a special shout-out of appreciation and thanks to SSRFanatics.com for creating such a wonderful forum for me (and my husband, of course! Whoops -- nearly forgot about him! Ha! Ha! Ha!).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

View attachment 572540
Thank you so much!!! You really put my mind at ease! I put a a general message to everyone below, but thank you for such a quick/prompt reply to my plea for help! :) :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dear Mrs. Docdenny666,
I agree entirely with richsadams, however as cold as you indicate the outside temp was I wonder if the electric cooling fan was/is working at all. As he indicated if you are moving at all at that temp the engine should not run much over t'stat opening temp. I would think at -2F any movement of air by the electric fan would have been sufficient to keep it cool at idle. Definitely check the coolant level, since you use the truck so little it may have been low and not noticed and check the fan, with no A/C it should cycle on at above about 210F or should come on with A/C engagement regardless. If it is not working definitely get with simple engineering about a replacement, certainly before spring and warm weather. I too think you should not worry at all about having damaged the engine at 260F. That motor will take more than that for a short period of time.
Tuckerred :cool:
Hi! Tuckerred1948. I appreciate your valuable insights. I see that Mike in AZ/Simple Engineering kindly replied to my plea for help too, and provided some good information that is complementary to your message. I am so thankful for your insights and help!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts