Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was waiting for my fast food at their window today for about 5 minutes ( with the air on ' low fan') and the engine just shuts off on its own!!!
Here were my symptoms: (Automatic Trans, 2005 LS2 Model)
1) After the engine shut off...It wouldn't start once I tried to turn the key over.
2) Would not go out of 'Park'.
3) Turned the key over repeatedly... no sign of ignition. No clicking, etc.
4) Dash lights all lit up once I turned the key to 'on position'
5) I could remove the key though.
6) Waited 5 more minutes and it started right up!.....go figure!
7) Drove to Chevy Dealer with engine light on ( not blinking).
8) Code reading said: 'C0298', Powertrain Control Malfunction' with a Status of ' History' in the status column.

Tech believes it's the Ignition Switch. I tend to agree.

Any ideas before I hear back from the Dealer?
All help is appreciated

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Probably the ignition switch...it's also possible (though less likely) that your crank position sensor is bad or intermittent. But, the tech should be able to see this fault on a scan unless it's extremely intermittent or a bad/dirty connection...not the easiest thing to get to by the way.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
3,859 Posts
I was going to say the usual '05 Fuse box broken wire, but with the other stuff probably NOT. Switch or Battery ground cable to frame?

Nick

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
879 Posts
The 05/06 engine fuse box issue happens after the engine gets warm and then the engine dies. When you attempt to restart, it just flips over and over. Everything else seems to work. If you open the hood and let it cool down for ~20 minutes or longer the engine will restart. Maybe if it is cool out, it can take less time. I thought my 06 fuse box was immune, it died after 13yrs. I’ve subsequently preemptively fixed my other fuse box.

I feel the code is from the electrical gremlins when the system wouldn’t start and there was electronic interference between the systems. I’ve had similar happen when my battery was getting tired. I disconnected the battery for > 20minutes and then replaced the battery. Subsequently the gremlins have gone away. I’ve subsequently started cleaning the various grounds.

If the ignition switch is original, or more than a few years old, it might need to be replaced. If you are into diagnosing the issue, I’d suggest disconnecting the battery for a while to let the computers reset. Then reconnect it and see if it is reproducible.

Let us know what you do and how it goes.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Gary do you know if the ignition switch was ever replaced before? If it had been and an none GM was used might be the problem. Some have issues with an aftermarket switch being installed and then failing again shortly after it was installed.

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gary do you know if the ignition switch was ever replaced before? If it had been and an none GM was used might be the problem. Some have issues with an aftermarket switch being installed and then failing again shortly after it was installed.
I think it’s the original one since I bought it a few months ago. I don't see it on my Carfax report, which usually includes maintenance details.

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 05/06 engine fuse box issue happens after the engine gets warm and then the engine dies. When you attempt to restart, it just flips over and over. Everything else seems to work. If you open the hood and let it cool down for ~20 minutes or longer the engine will restart. Maybe if it is cool out, it can take less time. I thought my 06 fuse box was immune, it died after 13yrs. I’ve subsequently preemptively fixed my other fuse box.

I feel the code is from the electrical gremlins when the system wouldn’t start and there was electronic interference between the systems. I’ve had similar happen when my battery was getting tired. I disconnected the battery for > 20minutes and then replaced the battery. Subsequently the gremlins have gone away. I’ve subsequently started cleaning the various grounds.

If the ignition switch is original, or more than a few years old, it might need to be replaced. If you are into diagnosing the issue, I’d suggest disconnecting the battery for a while to let the computers reset. Then reconnect it and see if it is reproducible.

Thanks for all the insight and suggestions here. I'm going to relay all suggestions and feedback to my dealer/mechanic this coming Monday. Stay tuned!

·
SSR Believer
1,120 Posts

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
27,954 Posts
Thanks for all the insight and suggestions here. I'm going to relay all suggestions and feedback to my dealer/mechanic this coming Monday. Stay tuned!
If it is the fuse box do not let the dealer fix it because they will replace the fuse box, if they can find one, and it is likely to have the same issue. send it to Dicktator or Dragon2U, or one of the others who fix them, and have it repaired so it will last.
When mine was replaced the box was about $700.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,091 Posts
Seems more like a fuse box issue, even if not the current issue it should be done to cross it off the list and peace of mind in the future.

My prices are listed in the link below.

Helpful Links
Add your location on Fanatic PINMAP and locate others
SSR Technical Resource Website - Quick searchable help
Electronic Repairs - Speedometer, brake, door latch, fuse box, stereo, etc

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If it is the fuse box do not let the dealer fix it because they will replace the fuse box, if they can find one, and it is likely to have the same issue. send it to Dicktator or Dragon2U, or one of the others who fix them, and have it repaired so it will last.
When mine was replaced the box was about $700.
If I locate a new "GM Fuse & Relay Box 10375734" part/module, should I have this repaired also? I'm thinking of a complete switch-out of parts, which will have less downtime.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,183 Posts

Problem is - Engine Fuse box, on my SSR How to Library:

Sent refurbished box to Virgin Islands last week.

$100 + postage, repair/test. Core exchange.

EVERYTHING goes thru Ignition Switch! Switch should be changed when you change battery also Neg battery cable.

Multiplex wiring GROUND completes the circuit!! 16 GROUNDS on 05/06 SSR.

Dicktator

1 - 20 of 38 Posts