Chevy SSR Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
If I locate a new "GM Fuse & Relay Box 10375734" part/module, should I have this repaired also? I'm thinking of a complete switch-out of parts, which will have less downtime.
Thanks
Yes that is the thing to do. If you go into it that a new one will solve the problem, it could also fail and lead you to think it can't be the fuse box and go in the wrong direction. If you swap in a repaired one, you know it is taken care of and done. I did this with one. I sent it to Dragon2U and it's waiting on me to put it in the truck now. Once I swap that one out I will send the one I take out to be repaired and then swap it into my other 05.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
27,954 Posts
If I locate a new "GM Fuse & Relay Box 10375734" part/module, should I have this repaired also? I'm thinking of a complete switch-out of parts, which will have less downtime.
Thanks
I am not sure what @Dragon2U said in his PM but I am sure it was good advice as is what Dicktator said in his post. Personally, I would not trust a new fuse box as much as I would the one that was repaired by either of these Fanatics. The problem was a built in time bomb and there is no telling which units were built with it. The problem was in the installation of a wire inside the box. Given the down time, if you remove yours and send it overnight to either of these Fanatics and have them fix it and return it you will probably be down only two or three days at most if it is a daily driver.

I guess I should have read the whole thread before answering. :cautious:

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I think I'm going to do a total switch-out with a NEW unit, but have it looked over and repaired/corrected by Dragon2U. Once I get it back, I'll have it dropped in.
This way, I can have the original pulled out and fixed as time permits... which will make it a good ( repaired ) backup. Don't want to take any chances.

Everyone's advice is highly appreciated here. (y)

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
27,954 Posts
I think I'm going to do a total switch-out with a NEW unit, but have it looked over and repaired/corrected by Dragon2U. Once I get it back, I'll have it dropped in.
This way, I can have the original pulled out and fixed as time permits... which will make it a good ( repaired ) backup. Don't want to take any chances.

Everyone's advice is highly appreciated here. (y)
If you follow @Dicktator's One drive instructions it is a fairly simple removal and install and save the labor charges. Then you will be ready to help another in the future.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,183 Posts
Fuse box problem was found/addressed by Florida Fanatics, Art Bonadies and Marty. GM would not even look at the problem. To few SSR to worry about and it was only 05/06.

Tried to isolate by Month/Year/Vin# NO luck. Random.

Buying new fusebox, if you can find one, for SSR could have the problem. Broken wire during Production at the Factory!

Best to repair/reroute/test your Fuse Box or one that has been refurbished.

I have refurbished fuse boxes on shelf. Need core and $100. + postage. Same day turnaround.

Dicktator

1. Broken wire, see it?
2. There it is under magnifying glass.
3. NEW wire, reroute, no bends, tested.

Attachments

·
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX
74 Posts
Hey Gary I have the exact same problem you do. All the same symptoms. Except the OBD2 CODE I pulled out w/my scan tool was a P0601= Internal control module memory check? Sum error. Basically the ECM performs a self check of its self plus all the other computer's in the vehicle that it talks to for other info. If something is bad it shuts down the truck. I've had all the mods done Ign. Sw. Fuse box wire. Done all my grounds. Cleared the code and started it and in about 7 or 8 mins. It just shuts down did this twice both times I got the same P0601 DTC. Talked to a friend who is a shop owner and top notch Tech. With computer related issues and he pulled up a program he uses that tracks mehcanical problems and it showed 4 other SSR's had this issue and the fix is the main ECU OR POWER TRAIN CONTROL MODULE. Had to be replaced and reprogrammed. Im not saying this is your problem but the Ign Sw. And the fuse box wire are not gonna throw a DTC. but you should do both of those mods. But they are not gonna fix your current problem. Sorry for the long post.

·
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX
74 Posts
Hey Gery here is a screen shot of a description of your DTC C0298 It is a Chassis fault. Basically something to do with the T/C sys. Or Traction Control computer or the BCM= Body control module not talking to the PCM. = Powertrain control module. So thats probably why your truck is shuting down.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hey Gery here is a screen shot of a description of your DTC C0298 It is a Chassis fault. Basically something to do with the T/C sys. Or Traction Control computer or the BCM= Body control module not talking to the PCM. = Powertrain control module. So thats probably why your truck is shuting down.
That's the feedback I'm getting from my Chevy Mechanic also!
I've decided to get that fixed/replaced as well.
I have also decided to be proactive about the fuse box issue too. This seems to be a common problem.

Thank you for that info! (y)

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Fuse box problem was found/addressed by Florida Fanatics, Art Bonadies and Marty. GM would not even look at the problem. To few SSR to worry about and it was only 05/06.

Tried to isolate by Month/Year/Vin# NO luck. Random.

Buying new fusebox, if you can find one, for SSR could have the problem. Broken wire during Production at the Factory!

Best to repair/reroute/test your Fuse Box or one that has been refurbished.

I have refurbished fuse boxes on shelf. Need core and $100. + postage. Same day turnaround.

Dicktator

1. Broken wire, see it?
2. There it is under magnifying glass.
3. NEW wire, reroute, no bends, tested.
What gauge is this wire that breaks in the fuse box?

·
SSR Believer
1,120 Posts
The wire gauge has been mentioned in some posts and I'm sure @Dicktator or @Dragon2U can tell you exactly. All of the other details you need are in Dicktator's DIY library. Look for "Fuse Box Repair - Engine":

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,183 Posts
We have Multiplex Class 2 wiring. ALL the modules "talk" to each other.

Black wire carries current, GROUND completes the circuit.

03/04 has 14 grounds. 05/06 has 16 grounds. Everything goes thru ignition switch.

Communication Link or Splice Pac is located behind Headlight switch under dash.

SSR quits, either electric or gas. 05 had recall on fuel pump. Check pressure at intake manifold.

More information on my SSR How to Library:

Check with Mike Moro, very good on engine.

Dicktator

Attachments

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,265 Posts
C0298 is not related to the BCM... It is a communication issue between ECM/TCM and the EBCM. The EBCM is the Electronic Brake Control Module located on the ABS pump. It is likely not related to Gary G’s current die/no start issue.

I would try to fight One Problem at a time. As others have suggested, it is most likely the fuse box as it is a known issue. I would start with getting that fixed as per Dicktator’s procedure. Several members can do this for you. Then after you get that back and CONFIRM that you still have/have not got an issue, then proceed from there.

Do not replace a number of items all at once or you’ll create a troubleshooting nightmare. After you confirm the fuse block being the culprit or not by driving several weeks, then proceed with Ignition switch because it is another known issue/preventative maintenance item. Do not do both at the same time. Tackle the EBCM issue later, if it still exists.....

The wire is 20 ga

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,115 Posts
Someone made a jumper wire and was selling them. If it stalled and you put the jumper wire on it and it started right up then you know for sure it is the wire problem and you can get it fixed permanent.

·
SSR Believer
1,120 Posts
Someone made a jumper wire and was selling them. If it stalled and you put the jumper wire on it and it started right up then you know for sure it is the wire problem and you can get it fixed permanent.
Good idea and dead simple to DIY too. Look for "Emergency Fuse Box Jumper":

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 11.23.51 PM.JPG

·
Daily Driver
8,897 Posts
I guess I should have read the whole thread before answering. :cautious:
Well yeah, that might be. But considering the amount of time and effort you put into making everything work here for the rest of us, it's to be expected for you to try to trim the time spent. No harm, no foul, thanks for your efforts. (y)

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
27,954 Posts
Well yeah, that might be. But considering the amount of time and effort you put into making everything work here for the rest of us, it's to be expected for you to try to trim the time spent. No harm, no foul, thanks for your efforts. (y)
Your comments are greatly appreciated!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts