Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Engine Shudder

Ok I have had my baby for almost one year and in this time I know all my trucks quirks.
After a two hour road trip on one of our 80 degree days I stopped at Sonic to get a drink and while idleing and waiting for my drink I noticed the the engine shudder, not once but several times. The temp was normal, had about 1/2 a tank of gas, Oil is at 40%. My driving speed between 55 -75, not a constant speed.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Has anyone added a gas additive to their tanks? Should we? Would the alum. engine require anything different than other engines? If you have added anything what did you use?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have noticed my 04 stumble once and a while during an idle. Kind of like a miss. Otherwise it is smooth as can be. :cool :cool

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,782 Posts
Wildcat, went through that several times...

Driving to Port St. Lucie (this happened twice last year) I filled up once to reach my daughters house. When there, stopped for an hour, started her up, and it didn't want to run. Black smoke out the back, and the engine light came on....and stayed on. Scared the b'jesus out of me. Finally after idling for several minutes, I couldn't accererate without kicking and bucking very seriously.
Next day I doive 10 miles to the Chevy dealer, and after five hours he told me it was the emmision sensor or the PCM. He reset the light off but it didn't make me feel any better. He also said the PCM would return to a "default" condition so the truck would run, but gas mileage was in the pits I struggled through the weekend and traveled the 520 miles home OK.
The Chevy dealer locally said there were no "misfires" registered on the PCM. He did determine it was not a DIC problem, nor a emmision sensor problem, so they ordered a PCM. Since then I have not had the problem again.

I believe running at highway speeds for extended periods of time and then stopping with only an idle is not adjusted quickly enough by the PCM and causes the hiccup condition. May not happen to everyone, but is random enough to cause alarm to the victim. This is my take on the experience.

P/P

Peace :flag

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok that gives me something to talk to my dealer about when the oil change comes up. I will watch it between now and then too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts