Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We SSR owners may have a group opportunity here if we are interested in working with a well respected speed shop located in metro Atlanta, Georiga.

I just got off the phone with Paul Smith, who works daily with Reese Cox, the owner at MTI Racing. Paul and I have been talking back and forth for a couple of months about stuff related to my Gearing Guru Performance Modeling business, but my SSR has come up quite often as he tells me about his dragstrip Corvette and I tell him what I have been doing to the SSR. MTI has been working on C5 and C6 Corvettes ONLY, but Reese has expressed some interest in working on other GM performance vehicles. His shop has a great reputation on the web, and was one of 2 local shops recommended highly to me.

Today I asked Paul if Reese might be interested in installing a set of headers for me if I buy the headers. I have been hesitating buying headers until I KNOW I have a reliable shop that can do the installation for me.

Paul checked with Reeses, and the surprising answer was that not only would they do the install for me - this week even if I could get the headers here by then - but Reese is also wondering if there are enough SSR owners located near enough to Atlanta, that would consider getting some tuning work done at MTI, to make it worthwhile for him to get the necessary tuning software and specific expertise for the SSR.

I told him I could probably easily find out by asking right on this website.

Right now, I know there are at least 2 shops that do superchargers and presumably other work on SSRs, but one is in NJ and the other in CA, so that doesn't work for people in the southeast.

So, how about it guys? Any SERIOUS interest? Don't say "yes" unless you really have the intent and some actual money to spend - I wouldn't want to mislead MTI into believing that there is a market if they make the investment and effort, if there really is not, or it's just way too small.

As you guys have seen from my "Scientific and analytical" thread on this board, the potential for some fairly big improvements in performance is there, but a lot of the work is beyond home garages! Nice professional support nearbv would be nice.

Jim G

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Good Idea Jim.. I hope you can get enough support for this. I do not have that need at this time as the SSR is not a performance vehicle in my mind. I did somethings to help it a little but that is it.

I have another toy that is twice as fast, uses half the fuel and a whole lot more fun for speed.

Good Luck!

·
Yes, I have an ATTITUDE !
1,678 Posts
Hey Jim ,
what shop in N.J. ?? would like to know this. Thanks Chris :flag

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chris, here you go with ALL the informartion I have on it. He posted an ad here a couple months back:

"
Hi guys, just wanted to offer the members here a winter special on the Magnuson supercharger kits installed and tuned. Complete price for the 04 SSR is $6,195. You can purchase a 3 year 36,000 mile powertrain warranty for $200. Feel free to give us a call at the shop if anyone has any questions.. Have a great Holiday season
609-752-0321
"

That's all the info I have.

Jim G

G

·
STS turbocharger, will they install.........

along with tuning it, a set of headers and a set a 4:11 gears?!I'm seriously interested and I'm in NC. Keep up the great work and interesting posts, Jim. Thanks, Fred :cool :flag

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fredfryguy: See my "Jim G's excellent day of adventure & learning" post and also my "Supermaxx headers" post for the latest.

Jim G

G

·
I have a new 6 speed and live in the Charlotte, NC area and would be interested in performance upgrades from the folks in Ga.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going to let MTI know that there IS some interest. Reese needs to see if there is ENOUGH to warrant a development program.

Jim G

G

·
Hi Jim, Ask him if he is willing to install a STS turbo along with the Supermax headers. Thanks, Fred

Ps I have read your other posts and they very informative, thanks. :cool :thumbs :flag
JimGnitecki said:
I'm going to let MTI know that there IS some interest. Reese needs to see if there is ENOUGH to warrant a development program.

Jim G

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will ask him Saturday when I accompany him to the track to test some cars, including the 427 smallblock one I described in my "Jim G's excellent day of adventure and learning" post.

Jim G

1 - 12 of 12 Posts