Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, I know you current SSR owners are biased as Hell but I will try something here anyway. With more and more '05's selling for just over and some under $30K and with MSRPs at or near $50K, what is the "real" equivalent value of a new '03 on today's realistic, buyer's market? What I am saying is that I believe I will be able to find another '05 6 speed for sale for around $30K and I dislike the 5.3 with 4 speed auto so what do ya'll think the price would need to be to make me tempted to go with a new '03? It would be for my wife and I would get a 6 speed something later. I am asking because I am dickering with a dealer for an '03 and neither of us are too happy with the prices we are hearing from each other which means it might be a fair price???? ....also, just how bad are the '03's anyway? (compared to later years)

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,328 Posts
Hmmmmm, I kinda like my 03 and don't see anything "bad" :D

Major changes that I think between years is:
Engine size
Door panel size (more room for hands to get to controls)
Hood prop rod vs hyd pistons

Most everything else is the same but I'm sure someone will chime in and correct me if not. I've thought about selling my 03 to get an 05 or 06. I have 11K miles and think it's worth around $28. Dealers in my area are asking about 2k more and add tax on top of it so I think it's worth it, might not get it though .............. never know.

Just my .02 :flag

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thnx, I guess. Askin' and gettin' prices are too often too far apart. The fact a new '05 sold for less than $30K tells you of what value used '03's with asking prices higher than that are. I have a shot at a new '03 for under $25K and I am only tempted because it would be good for badkneed Momma (auto trans - "stinkin' fourspeed").

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
Dragon2U said:
Hmmmmm, I kinda like my 03 and don't see anything "bad" :D

Major changes that I think between years is:
Engine size
Door panel size (more room for hands to get to controls)
Hood prop rod vs hyd pistons

Most everything else is the same but I'm sure someone will chime in and correct me if not. I've thought about selling my 03 to get an 05 or 06. I have 11K miles and think it's worth around $28. Dealers in my area are asking about 2k more and add tax on top of it so I think it's worth it, might not get it though .............. never know.

Just my .02 :flag
Avalable 6 speed manual trans

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Danko,

See if you can get someone to give you the prices going through the Manheim auctions then add $2k, that would be in the ball park of a fair (market) price.
[Otherwise ask yourself these questions 1) do you think it is fair that a dealer makes money on each deal? 2) How much money should a dealer make on each deal? 3) Do you think the dealer is making money at the price he is offering it? 4) If he is losing money on it, should he be able to charge someone else more than you answered in question 2? These are questions just trying to get a feel of the whole situation. I'm not saying that the price being offered to you is fair or not. Just sometimes you need to sit back and say 'OK, if I pay X amount I will be happy even if I find out later that someone else bought it for less' That X amount will be 'fair' if the seller agrees :D (I realize that you're X amount can still fluctuate for 2 more months)

I think that the 2003 is fine...except I'd like it to go as fast as the '05/06 (which I have not actually been in, but since it's 0-60 times are on par with my Z28, I feel I can extrapolate).
But for you, buying a new or even slightly used '03, may run into problems that many of us have with the earlier builds. I've had mine in about 20 times, CruznEd is up there, shiftz33 and Boosted had to return theirs as well as maybe uncljoe (I hope I have all those right). You sound like a person that probably would not want to have to deal with many issues in your vehicles (just taking a guess here).

I hope I didn't :yawn you. and that my answer contributed to what you were looking for.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Danko,

Is the '03 brand new with a full warranty or has it been reported sold and have a partial warranty left?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Back to the original question, please. If for my purposes, a new '05 is worth $30K or so, what good is it to give me a list of used '03's selling (actually not selling - just asking) for more than that? If a new '05 is worth $30K to me, then isn't a new '03 worth more than a few thousand less to me? Bottom line is I think the price on the '03 is low enough I should give it serious consideration. The '03 is brand new and sitting at a dealer and whether he makes money is of ZERO concern to me. This is an obvious buyers' market and for once I might be on the right side of a market situation/purchase. The dealer is losing money every month by sitting on this vehcile and he knows it will not sell in the winter up here where there is snow so I am saving him from a larger loss if nothing else. I will only buy new so I can use over $3K in GM Card rebate money.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Danko said:
The '03 is brand new and sitting at a dealer and whether he makes money is of ZERO concern to me. This is an obvious buyers' market and for once I might be on the right side of a market situation/purchase. The dealer is losing money every month by sitting on this vehcile and he knows it will not sell in the winter up here where there is snow so I am saving him from a larger loss if nothing else. I will only buy new so I can use over $3K in GM Card rebate money.

So what you are saying then, is you are NOT looking for a 'fair' price if how much money he makes or loses is ZERO concern to you.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Danko said:
Nope, I am saying if a new '05 is worth $30K then what is a new '03 worth?

ok.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Anything is worth what ever you get for it. I have seen used 03's and 04's selling for $29k to $31k as well as new 05's. That just tells me the worm has turned and the dealers that were greedy in the beginning are going to pay now. People are starting to want the SSR more and that is causing the price to stabilize. The same thing happened to the Prowler and at that time you were seeing used cars going for as much as new ones right after they stopped production. If SSR's follow the same path the next phase was the price went up on all of them. :cool :cool

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Danko said:

How did you determine what a new '05 was worth? Use that same logic for the '03 and there you go.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
subman, That has nothing to do with the '03 vs. '05 value comparison but what makes you say prices are stabilizing? Got examples? I see continued dropping.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Danko said:

IMO--- 21K --- TODAY--- new or almost new 04s are listing on ebay as Buy It now for 23k or 24k.....i wonder where they would be in few months???...maybe in high teens....

·
Registered
288 Posts
People see what they want. Half full half empty. These are my observations. You may have others. It really does not matter to me what it is worth I bought mine to keep untill I get tired of it. 31K miles and going strong. All I have to say to anyone buying a car is get the best deal you can and live with it.:cool :cool

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bingo!!!!!

DavidN, Finally a topical, helpful and realistic answer. THNX!!!!!!!!!! So how tough is it to get approved to bid over $20K for a vehicle on eBay? If you see any cheap silvers on eBay, please consider hollering at me, but actually...... please make that starting midMarch.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Danko said:
DavidN, Finally a topical, helpful and realistic answer. THNX!!!!!!!!!! So how tough is it to get approved to bid over $20K for a vehicle on eBay? If you see any cheap silvers on eBay, please consider hollering at me, but actually...... please make that starting midMarch.

YW..:flag All you need a CC # on file to bid over 18k i think... i look on ebay daily and if i see anything that fits i will e-mail the link to you....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts