Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tools do you always have on hand in your SSR whenever you travel?

One time I got stuck in a hotel parking lot trying to change an ignition switch with a little bag of all the wrong tools. Now I want to make sure I have a useful (and minimalist) selection of tools on hand at all times.

Eg. Needle-nose pliers for pulling fuses

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
I do my best to prepare car before i leave without overdoing it. I think many times there is alot of fear of the unkown and mistrust which leads to excessive maintenance?

I actually only carry a tire plug kit, factory air pump, long needle nose pliers, a pair of diagonal pliers, plastic shifter bushing, cell phone and AAA gold card. Longer trips, i might include the usual stuff plus a Test light, jumper wires and my AmEx card.
My clean up kit takes up more space than my repair/tool kit. I plan for it to get dirty. I have faith that it will most likely not break down. After all i am going on a vacation from working on cars, not a trip to work on a car in the parking lot, side of the road etc.

Oh, i also carry my tech 2 because most longer trips are rallies or meet and greets and i am prepared to help others program key fobs etc.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,161 Posts
I have went from one extreme to the other with my trucks. Second truck when I got it I stopped on the way home and bought a floor jack, tire chock, breaker bar, cheap sockets in California. On the way I stopped at a Lowes and bought a small Craftsman tool set and a screwdriver set. On day 2 I stopped at a junk yard and bought a spare wheel and a new tire. Of all those tools I used the socket set to put the running boards on to keep the sides clean. I hit rain every day of the trip.

The third truck I took a small assortment of tools with me to change the RDM on it. I ended up having a bad fan and was lucky this happened in AZ. I was able to call Mike and he was kind enough to loan me a fan and repair the burnt wire end and put on the fan. I made this trip with out a spare. I ended up not replacing the RDM while on the trip. When I got home I did replace it with the few tools I took with me so I had the stuff but wanted to enjoy the trip and did.

I have made several trips to Texas this year and some times I toss in my spare and some times I don't. This last week I was coming back and pulling a U Haul trailer and thought about it and that it doesn't have a spare for it. It basically comes down to if I need the extra room or not. The drivetrain is pretty solid and can't think of much that I would be repairing on the side of the road. I do keep all my belts and hoses in good shape. I do a once over before I leave check fluids and fill according if needed. Check tires and take off. I do have a leather man in 2 of my trucks so that is kind of like tools.

·
Eat-Breathe-Sleep-SSR's
1,608 Posts

One time I got stuck in a hotel parking lot trying to change an ignition switch with a little bag of all the wrong tools. Now I want to make sure I have a useful (and minimalist) selection of tools on hand at all times.

WOW! WOW! WOW! So good to see you on this site my friend! Missed Seeing you @russhhh at Penticton this year! I carry a full set of sockets, combination wrenches, screw drivers, fan belt, blanket, jack. My tool kit is quite compact as to not take up a bunch of space, I think I bought it at Newfoundland Speed & Sport (AKA Canadian Tire). I also carry road flares, a reflective triangle flare, and high visibility vest so other motorists can see me if I'm on the side of the road. Also a spare ignition switch, and trim removal tools in case I have to change out the switch. Hope this helps! Kindest Regards:):):):):):):)

·
Spirited driver!
1,594 Posts
I went with Mike's underbed spare for peace of mind on long desolate roads. I have the tools to change a tire, a socket set and most important, a flshlight.

I am more likely to use my phone and AAA card if there is an issue but at least I have a spare they can put on that fits.

·
Trygodfirst
2006 FPR SSR PAC BLUE AUTOMATIC
1,360 Posts

Amen to the pliers.

·
Trygodfirst
1,360 Posts
I do my best to prepare car before i leave without overdoing it. I think many times there is alot of fear of the unkown and mistrust which leads to excessive maintenance?

I actually only carry a tire plug kit, factory air pump, long needle nose pliers, a pair of diagonal pliers, plastic shifter bushing, cell phone and AAA gold card. Longer trips, i might include the usual stuff plus a Test light, jumper wires and my AmEx card.
My clean up kit takes up more space than my repair/tool kit. I plan for it to get dirty. I have faith that it will most likely not break down. After all i am going on a vacation from working on cars, not a trip to work on a car in the parking lot, side of the road etc.

Oh, i also carry my tech 2 because most longer trips are rallies or meet and greets and i am prepared to help others program key fobs etc.
After getting a bolt too large to plug or patch we now have a spare along with our AAA membership.

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
1,000 Posts
I carry a small set of tools in the bed lid storage compartment. I also have a tool bag that I carry in the hub of the spare tire in the bed. Spare ignition switch in the glovebox, spare belts in the saddlebag, also carry a floor jack, jack-stands, chocks and lug wrench. Had a rear tire blow out after running over something in the road at night. Replaced the tire with the spare and saved myself a lot of time, money and aggravation.

·
Trygodfirst
1,360 Posts
I carry a small set of tools in the bed lid storage compartment. I also have a tool bag that I carry in the hub of the spare tire in the bed. Spare ignition switch in the glovebox, spare belts in the saddlebag, also carry a floor jack, jack-stands, chocks and lug wrench. Had a rear tire blow out after running over something in the road at night. Replaced the tire with the spare and saved myself a lot of time, money and aggravation.
View attachment 587486
That tool kit looks custom made for our lid storage Where did you purchase

·
Tech Support/Research
1,702 Posts
With so many parts installed or removed with clips I now carry a trim tool kit as part of the package.

1605884883077.png

Several threads on the topic of travel tool kits as well as general preparation for travel can be found here:

SSR Preparations For Travel-More?

Any travel tips?

Before you hit the road for the Flagstaff Rally

SSR Travel

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
1,000 Posts
That tool kit looks custom made for our lid storage Where did you purchase
Yes, bought a cheap piece of exercise foam at a discount store and used an Exacto razor-knife to cut the tool shapes. Have both metric and SAE sockets, as well as a spot for the SSR Top Tool. I need to add an open-limiting cable so the thing doesn’t flop all the way open ... otherwise the tools fall out - HA.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Looking at what some of you guys carry maybe I need to upgrade my tool kit.So far I have managed to get a Trailblazer wheel and fitted a tire to suit front or rear if I get a blow out, wheel brace, scissor jack, some jumper cables, flat head screwdriver, spare serpentine belt and a roof tool which I keep in the center console and the rest fit in the well of the spare wheel in the bed which is in a zip up tire bag so all out of sight. The trim kit tool set is a good idea so will be adding that and my 100 piece socket,wrench and various screwdriver and torque bits I put in for longer trips.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,191 Posts
Don't forget a soft tool to get the center cap off and a lug wrench. If you have brake caliper covers on you need a small wrench to remove them because the 17 inch spare will rub on it and not go on. Just in case all else fails I have my phone, Roadside Assistance and Towing and a credit card. That should cover it all.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts