Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was a beautiful day so I decided to take the SSR for a ride. When I returned home I gave it a bath and when I went to put it into the garage I noticed my ABC light and ir bag light was on. I also noticed that I had no A/C. Anyone out there have the same problem? Any help will do.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
5,294 Posts
Hmm let's try to take a logical look at what we know here.
Truck was fine
Truck got washed
Now lights are on

I would suspect that water got to something.
As for ABS light, possible a wheel sensor got wet and causing the light? Possible wheels sensor disturbed some old corrosion.
As for air bag, maybe the air bag sensor up front or maybe one in the door got wet?

With not a lot to go on here, did you do anything different when washing the truck? Was there more time cleaning the wheels? Maybe a new wheel cleaner you tried? Maybe a different washing method? Was it simply hand washed or was a pressure washer with a foam cannon used?

Let's start with the simple stuff and what might have caused this. As for the AC how long did the truck run for it to come up to cooling or was it just the fan was not working?

·
SSR Believer
2,810 Posts
I think I mentioned a while back that I’ve run our R through a local touch-free car wash that includes an undercarriage spray. When I started it up to leave the ABS light came on, stayed on and the DIC displayed a “service brakes” message (something close to that) both times. However, drove it home then started it up again later, no light, no message.

@Dicktator had a couple of suggestions (cleaning, sealing parts) that I haven’t had time to try yet.

So agree with @Stlhotrod, water meets electronics - underneath somewhere - and things go haywire. Luckily for me, it’s only been temporary.

·
SSR Believer
2,810 Posts
No, the ignition switch has not been changed. I believe the switch is the original. I will order a new one and try that first. Thanks,

Ray
Per Mark (@Autoprof) try one thing at a time rather than throwing everything against the wall (including your wallet) and never know what fixed it or what to do if it happens again of course, but as @Dicktator says, everything goes through the ignition switch.

If you do decide to replace it, the recommended ACDelco D1426D ignition switch is impossible to find right now. They're normally about $40, but I saw one on eBay today for $250! o_O There are some folks here that have installed the substitute Dorman 924-715 ignition switch that most auto parts stores and Amazon currently have in stock. It looks identical to the ACDelco switch, but I don't think anyone's dissected it to see if they're the same inside. The ignition switch is a little bit of a pain to swap out, but not that hard so it might be worth doing and when the ACDelco D1426D becomes available, you have the option of replacing it again.

When you remove the lower steering wheel cowl you'll see the switch. If it's all black it is the original. If it is black and grey like the one pictured below, it's the newer model.

Look for @Dicktator's DIY "Ignition Switch Install" guide here:

Or here:

Robert (@rcg530) also has a great DIY "Ignition Switch Replacement" video here:

Hope that helps, best of luck and keep us posted.

Rectangle Fashion accessory Cable Computer component Transparency

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,818 Posts
I am not an advocate of replacing any part without testing if possible.
If you use the following charts you can check the output voltages from the ignition switch at both fuse boxes.

As @Stlhotrod suggested - have you tried it again after it has had a chance to dry out?

Use a voltmeter with the black lead connected to a good ground and test the fuses in both fuse boxes highlighted in yellow. NOTE all but the crank fuse should show close to 12 volts with the key on and the engine off. The crank fuse will only have voltage applied in the crank position.
This works when used properly. I believe that despite some other issues @USSR will agree that this helped him sort out some of his electrical issues

https://www.ssrfanatic.com/attachme...ox-handout-2019-adjusted-tables-2-pdf.598436/

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm let's try to take a logical look at what we know here.
Truck was fine
Truck got washed
Now lights are on

I would suspect that water got to something.
As for ABS light, possible a wheel sensor got wet and causing the light? Possible wheels sensor disturbed some old corrosion.
As for air bag, maybe the air bag sensor up front or maybe one in the door got wet?

With not a lot to go on here, did you do anything different when washing the truck? Was there more time cleaning the wheels? Maybe a new wheel cleaner you tried? Maybe a different washing method? Was it simply hand washed or was a pressure washer with a foam cannon used?

Let's start with the simple stuff and what might have caused this. As for the AC how long did the truck run for it to come up to cooling or was it just the fan was not working?
2004 model. I had taken the truck for a ride earlier with absolutely no problems. Everything worked well. All I did was wash it and when I got into it to put it in the garage. At that time I noticed that when turned the ignition to start there was no dash warning lights, the truck started and also noticed the A/C unit was not working as well. I will try the ignition switch first.

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
917 Posts

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
I agree with @Stlhotrod , wash truck and problems pop up, may be related. Since most of the gremlins are related at least in part to dash wiring I would wonder if the source of water into the electronics might not be behind the dash. I have seen previous threads relating to water into the cab from the wells in front of the firewall and also down the A-pillar seal. Could all of these issues be the result of a single wiring harness connector? Someone good with wiring diagrams might be able to say, eh @Autoprof .

·
SSR Believer
2,810 Posts
I agree with @Stlhotrod , wash truck and problems pop up, may be related. Since most of the gremlins are related at least in part to dash wiring I would wonder if the source of water into the electronics might not be behind the dash. I have seen previous threads relating to water into the cab from the wells in front of the firewall and also down the A-pillar seal. Could all of these issues be the result of a single wiring harness connector? Someone good with wiring diagrams might be able to say, eh @Autoprof .
Possibly, but ours has been in the rain a couple of times (I know, :eek: ). The very first time I drove it home it was a very hard rain for 3+ hours and no problems. Only happened the 2x I took it through the touch-free car wash with the under-carriage spray.

Since @RayS said a new ignition switch solved his problem, hopefully water isn't getting into the steering column! ;)

It would be good to know the root cause of the wet/ABS brake warning issue though.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Oh, I made that comment before I noted that he had replaced the ignition switch and had a fix. Sorry for that. I don't see water getting into a steering column, though I guess anything is possible.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts