Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Excessive Road Noise Reduced!

After 7 trips back to the dealer for two rear ends, 2 sets of window rubbers, drink holder in dash, door panel, valve caps, 2 tires, 4 lug nut covers, and just about every item that was removed to make repairs had to be replaced because the dealer mechanic broke what he removed. I now have had to add sound reducer to the hard top compartment and put small leather pillows over the holes behind the driver and passenger seats to enjoy a quiet ride. Without them, passengers are always checking to se if their door is closed if I don't tell them about the raod/wind noise. "AM I ALONE ON THIS"? I love my SSR and would like to know if anyone else has a problem also with the windows failing to go under the rubber weather stripping when rolled completely /

unhappy with GM support on the cab noise, are you??

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
fiftiesnut said:
After 7 trips back to the dealer for two rear ends, 2 sets of window rubbers, drink holder in dash, door panel, valve caps, 2 tires, 4 lug nut covers, and just about every item that was removed to make repairs had to be replaced because the dealer mechanic broke what he removed. I now have had to add sound reducer to the hard top compartment and put small leather pillows over the holes behind the driver and passenger seats to enjoy a quiet ride. Without them, passengers are always checking to se if their door is closed if I don't tell them about the raod/wind noise. "AM I ALONE ON THIS"? I love my SSR and would like to know if anyone else has a problem also with the windows failing to go under the rubber weather stripping when rolled completely /

You are not alone. I believe in a previous thread somewhere, someone was going to try a product called Dynamat to reduce the noise. BUT, I have forgotten who was going to do that.

"Anyone? Anyone?" - Ferris Bueller, 1986

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Buffy said:
You are not alone. I believe in a previous thread somewhere, someone was going to try a product called Dynamat to reduce the noise. BUT, I have forgotten who was going to do that.

"Anyone? Anyone?" - Ferris Bueller, 1986
On our 2004 the window goes up about 1/8" after the door closes, that puts the window glass up into the rubber. Does yours do that? Ours is fairly quiet.

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
bgetz said:
On our 2004 the window goes up about 1/8" after the door closes, that puts the window glass up into the rubber. Does yours do that? Ours is fairly quiet.
bgetz,

I think problem that fifetiesnut is talking about is the road noise vs wind noise.

With my top down, you can hardly hear the road noise (tires, etc.) but as soon as that top goes up, it sounds as if you opened a trap door in the roof well to allow road noise into the cockpit.

Has anyone tries any sound dampening material yet? (not counting pillows! HA!)

R

·
0 Posts
Our '05 has a padded material surrounding the storage area for the top but I don't remember having this in the '03. Doesn't the '04 have the padding either? I can't imagine this would be an option, I thought maybe GM started putting it in all of them because of all the complaints they've had. Our '03 had quite a lot of wind/road noise, sometimes it helped to lower and raise the window again after you shut the door.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bgetz said:
Yes it goes up about a 1/4 inch but as it does the rubber roles under the top edge of the glass. The rubber has been replaced 2 times and a GM area service rep spent all of one day working on it and this exact statement was given to me by the service manager " sometimes it goes up right and sometimes it doesn't" he also told me that "sometimes my trunk lid will go up and sometimes it doesn't" I am feriuos at the lame response from GM about the problem and have filed a better business bureau complaint.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have installed $120.00 of noise dampening material in the hardtop storage walls and have discoverd that the 7 inch diameter hole behind both headrests allow the amplified noise of the hardtop compartment to come right into your ears. I have now had two small leather pillows made and put them over the holes. "What a difference" Of coarse I have a terrible dislike for noises in a new vehicle.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
window

fiftiesnut said:
Yes it goes up about a 1/4 inch but as it does the rubber roles under the top edge of the glass. The rubber has been replaced 2 times and a GM area service rep spent all of one day working on it and this exact statement was given to me by the service manager " sometimes it goes up right and sometimes it doesn't" he also told me that "sometimes my trunk lid will go up and sometimes it doesn't" I am feriuos at the lame response from GM about the problem and have filed a better business bureau complaint.
See prior threads on this. It's a simple alignment in the door panels to line up the windows to the rubber. Trust this voice of experience - changing the rubber does absolutely no good. Have your service manager contact Mac Haik in Houston. They have it figured out.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ditto

houtex said:
See prior threads on this. It's a simple alignment in the door panels to line up the windows to the rubber. Trust this voice of experience - changing the rubber does absolutely no good. Have your service manager contact Mac Haik in Houston. They have it figured out.
Ditto on that.. :yesnod

I had the same prob n when they re-aligned the window it cut the wind noise n leaks bout 90%. :yesnod

If ur dealer gives u a hard time on that....complain 2 the district rep or find another dealer in ur area.

:cool

·
Registered
541 Posts
Holes?

fiftiesnut said:
I have installed $120.00 of noise dampening material in the hardtop storage walls and have discoverd that the 7 inch diameter hole behind both headrests allow the amplified noise of the hardtop compartment to come right into your ears. I have now had two small leather pillows made and put them over the holes. "What a difference" Of coarse I have a terrible dislike for noises in a new vehicle.
Those holes are for the (worthless) rear speakers. Is that just a 1SB thing?

Diggs

·
Registered
64 Posts
Same problem

fiftiesnut said:

I have had the drivers top window moulding replaced and it is doing it again

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
You should always start with having the windows adjusted. This is a trial and error effort since the inside of the window is guided by the top of the door inner panel. When you take off the door inner panel to get at the adjustment, you have to eyeball the change because you cannot test it without putting the door panel on again. The dealer should replace the door panel retainers if they get damaged when the panel is removed. You would only replace the seals if they are damaged or have severe leaks. When you replace them you have to put adhesive in the proper place or leaks can reoccur.

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
Ther has always been some noise insulation in the top storage area. We could not close off the area around the hinges because of the highly complex top mechanism. There may be other ways to reduce the top up road noise, but we never found the secret during the original development. I plan on trying some things next spring on my own. I will report any success.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
freezer said:
Ther has always been some noise insulation in the top storage area. We could not close off the area around the hinges because of the highly complex top mechanism. There may be other ways to reduce the top up road noise, but we never found the secret during the original development. I plan on trying some things next spring on my own. I will report any success.
Using $10.00 MOSHI extremely soft black pillows that work wonders. With the new WindsuppreSSR the pillows lay on top of the holes and practically eleiminates the worst of the noise.

thanks for the reply,

P.S. I think GM could monogram about 20 thousand of these with the SSR logos and send them out to owners in some kind of effort to make mends on the problem they are so aware of. Got to start somewhere and quit ignoring us and step up to the plate and tell us we can expect some recalls on some of the simple things like the windows seals that are scratching and ruining our windows.

P

·
0 Posts
fiftiesnut said:

Me too, the windows were not rolling up inside the door seals. The dealer re aligned the doors, by moving the striker in/out some, & replaced the window seals too. If it is really hot the seals shrink some, & if cooler they go back to normal, regardless, no b.s they still are not great. I have also had the drive shaft replaced for that "wierd noise" when putting it into reverse, & when hitting the gas for those fun take offs. Well guess what after replacing the drive shaft, it still makes the damn noise, just not as loud. GM doesn't mind making money on this vehicle,just curious if the 2005 is any different? I know they offer a Vet motor now, does this one run any cooler, less wind noise, smoother ride, or just a few upgrades, more money & new motor?

P

·
0 Posts
houtex said:
Can I get an email for Mac Haik, or a phone number, I am getting tired of spending days on end at the dealer for the same problem? Thanks.,

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
purplessr said:
Can I get an email for Mac Haik, or a phone number, I am getting tired of spending days on end at the dealer for the same problem? Thanks.,
My service guy's direct line at Mak Haik is 281 596-6374 - press 4 if you don't want to listen to all of the messsage crap. HIs name is Brad Belota

·
Registered
213 Posts
Window rubber fix

Any updates on the window/rubber fix from the Houston dealer: Mak Haik and the service guy named Brad Belota?

My new 2004 drivers window goes outside the rubber and the dealer said I needed a new rubber moulding. It looks like this is a big job since the rubber goes into the top.

·
Registered
222 Posts
B4 u do that....

rj5620 said:
Any updates on the window/rubber fix from the Houston dealer: Mak Haik and the service guy named Brad Belota?

My new 2004 drivers window goes outside the rubber and the dealer said I needed a new rubber moulding. It looks like this is a big job since the rubber goes into the top.

B4 u go an hav'm tear ur stuff apart :nono ....alot of us had the same prob n it was fixed by havin the dealer jus realign the windows. :yesnod There r adjustments on the inside of the door 2 help realign the track so the window closes correctly. :thumbs

Pls use the "search" tool on this site 4 more info. :thumbs

Good luck,
:cool

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
freezer said:
I personally have never had a problem with misalignment of the windows like some of you. But like all of you the noise that comes in when the top is up due to the hollow top storage area was a problem. But as many of us have found a simple solution to eliminate most of the noise (and it really is no secret), Get a WindsuppreSSR As a bonus when the top is down you will really get the full benefit of no wind blown hair, or wind noise, You can even talk on your cell phone while driving on the expressway. However from a safety point of view always better to pull over to the side or get off at a rest area if using cell phone. Sorry this is sounding like a commercial now!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts