Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:|

My go to guy for custom exhaust work is about 45 miles away. Several months back, I had him modify the Y pipe and hook up my 2 into 2 Magnaflow (stock length) as several of you have done as well.

While I get a little "rumble" out of it on decel, it's almost too quiet.:frown2:

Was considering a set of electric cut outs but was hoping there was sufficient room on the back side of the muffler to (tie back in) to the dual exhausts. I recognize the typical install would be to add them (cut outs) ahead of muffler and then just let it dump out when open. But if possible I'd like to have them divert around muffler and then rejoin tail pipes back side of muffler.

Plan to get down to see my exhaust installer guy soon, but wondered if anyone using cut outs had tried to tie back in as I'm describing.

And yeah.............I know they're illegal in many states.>:)

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
I understand the "almost too quiet" after doing the "true dual" conversion. Mine's that way too. I will say it has developed a little better sound as the muffler has aged, but not much.

Just curious, why do you want to go to all the head aches of re-routing around the muffler and back into the rear tail pipes? It would be a lot of plumbing.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand the "almost too quiet" after doing the "true dual" conversion. Mine's that way too. I will say it has developed a little better sound as the mufflers have aged, but not much.

Just curious, why do you want to go to all the head aches of re-routing around the muffler and back into the rear tail pipes? It would be a lot of plumbing.
:|
Yeah, it would indeed take another section of pipe (X 2) and also 2 short Y pieces to direct it back into the tail pipes. My thought was if they could be routed along either side of the muffler, it wouldn't hang down and show and the increased "noise", would be out behind you instead of right under the cab.:crazy

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
I can appreciate that. I had a '64 Ford Galaxie 500XL with a 390 and headers when I was growing up. Used to uncork the headers on weekends to go cruise the main drag in town. It was a boat load of fun but boy, was it loud in the cab!!

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
When I installed the electric cut out in my 05. I first ran the diverter pipe ( can’t think what else to call it ) around and back into the tail pipe. It made it so quiet you couldn’t tell the cut out was open. I ended up just bolting a short turn down to the cut out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts