Chevy SSR Forum banner

Exhaust Drone

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  jackatg450 
#1 ·
I know this subject has been covered many times but I wanted to relay my experience as it may be of help to someone in the future. I removed the Y pipe and split the exhaust into two, 2.5 inch pipes. I then used a 2 in, 2 out muffler, 18", made by Jones called mad boar. Sounds great EXCEPT for a terrible drone between 1600 and 1800 RPM. Depending on engine load, this drone will make your head hurt in 30 seconds or less.
Like a horn blowing in the cab. So, I replaced it with a magnaflow 18" 2 in 2 out with internal x pipe.
Bad news, still mega drone. Today I put 6" resonators behind the muffler as close to the muffler as possible.
GOOD NEW.......the drone is gone and the exhaust note still has that performance rumble. To sum up:
Exhaust manifolds, cats, tailpipes and tips are all stock. Hope this helps! By the way, according to my simple
non scientific burnout test, performance has increased!

#2 ·
HIS and Hers exhaust.

I wanted more sound like my 55 BelAir with twin Glass Packs had. I installed the 14" MagnaFlo 1 in 2 out. I loved it! My wife rode two blocks, said she would fly to Arizona, and I could pick her up at the airport to go the Flagstaff International. I reinstalled the OEM the next day (one of the guys in FL got a hell of a muffler for $75). At the Rally she heard another '05 with Mikes Tips on it and liked sound. I really liked the sound but it was not what I wanted, but she would ride in the truck with them. Those are Hers.

For Me, I installed a 3" electric Cutout into a 3" pipe running over the muffler and dumping just in front of the rear end.( You do not want to ride with it open and the top up) I love it, it Gurrgles, pops, does everything you want and it has that low rumble. By running the 3" pipe it is not raw like it would be if dumping straight out. That is HIS exhaust.

Jack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.