Chevy SSR Forum banner

Exhaust modification

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Achias 
#1 ·
I'm considering the replacement of the original muffler & replacing the exhaust tips with the SE larger tips. I have a 2004 with the 5.3 L. What make & series muffler would give me an improved performance sound?

"SJA"

#4 ·
muffler ?

I'm considering the replacement of the original muffler & replacing the exhaust tips with the SE larger tips. I have a 2004 with the 5.3 L. What make & series muffler would give me an improved performance sound?
"SJA"
NO MUFFLER IS THE BEST THING I HAVE DONE TO MY R.

straight pipe from CATS to the LARGE tips. (simple engineering)

If driven nicely, its pretty quiet (less than a Harley)

If PUSHED it SOUNDS FANTASTIC. and when backing-down it burbles and gives a really pleasant sound.

I kept my PURPLE stock, just in case .

. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Pickup truck
.. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire

#7 ·
NO MUFFLER IS THE BEST THING I HAVE DONE TO MY R.

straight pipe from CATS to the LARGE tips. (simple engineering)

If driven nicely, its pretty quiet (less than a Harley)

If PUSHED it SOUNDS FANTASTIC. and when backing-down it burbles and gives a really pleasant sound.

I kept my PURPLE stock, just in case .

. View attachment 538789 .. View attachment 538791
Wow! I'll consider that.

#6 ·
Most aftermarket........

Chevrolet did a lot of engineering to control resonation in the muffler system. There is even a "necking" of the ID in the exhaust pipe just ahead of the muffler as part of this system. Most cut the pipe in front of the area "in order to improve flow". Most after market mufflers will resonate, some a lot more than others. Wives seem to have ears that are especially tuned and object loudly when this occurs.
I installed a dual in dual out MagnaFlo on my '04. It was great with the top down, it was very annoying with the top up. Sold the '04. I installed a 14" single in dual out MagnaFlo on the '05. My wife rode in it 5 blocks and refused to ride it to International Rally. I put the stock muffler back on. At the Rally she heard an '05 with Mike's Tips and liked the sound. We now have a HIS & HERS exhaust system on the truck. Stock muffler and Mike's Tips for her, for me I installed a 3" cut-out with the 3" pipe coming over the muffler and dumping at the rear axle. On the highway with the top up, no resonating, with the cut-open it sounds life the 60s muscle car, it pops, gurgles, all of the right sound and it is loud.

Jack

Reactions: Auggie Doggie
#11 ·
No Muffler

I replaced the muffler on my 03:yellow: 12 years ago with a straight pipe. No other changes, all other components stay the same. The total cost was $40 and the wonderful sound and comments from other SSR owners make the value millions. I now have over 115K on it and still have never done anything to the motor other than oil and filters. Not having the muffler has no effect on the motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.