Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back home after a 2400 mile plus ride from Vegas. While it's not totally quite, it doesn't have quite the noise/feedback I would like.

I'm sure there are post entries that address this concern, but not sure which ones. Can I get some input as to (true duals and/or muffler swaps) or other changes that might make my ride have a little more "bark".

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,903 Posts
Just got back home after a 2400 mile plus ride from Vegas. While it's not totally quite, it doesn't have quite the noise/feedback I would like.

I'm sure there are post entries that address this concern, but not sure which ones. Can I get some input as to (true duals and/or muffler swaps) or other changes that might make my ride have a little more "bark".

What year do you have. Exhaust systems on 03 and 04 are different then 05 and 06. I have an 05.

Here is what I did. Went to a shop called Exhaust Pro's and had the Y pipe on mine split into individual pipes from the manifold through the cats into a Magnaflow stainless X type muffler. Two pipes in and two pipes out and used stock tail pipes. Throaty purr going down the road, no drone or vibration. Very close to true duals. When you stand on it the X muffler really extracts the exhaust and it hauls. You get the full power and sets you back in the seat. Remarkable difference from stock. Sounds and seems much faster.

P.S. Mike from Simple Engineering, Arizona and a couple others helped me work this out. Recently I had the 5 inch Tips from Mike installed. Works and sounds perfect to me.

My experience is stay away from short mufflers and most FloMasters. They are loud and vibrate the whole truck at constant highway speed. Several folks have eliminated the muffler altogether and just run the catalytic converters. Others leave it sort of stock and run an electronic straight pipe cut out if you want to get on it.

Might also contact a local speed shop/custom exhaust shop and see what they suggest. Can be found in your local phone book or on the internet. Good luck.

Like I said to each his or her own. God bless and good luck.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,230 Posts
Your question/opinions goes the FULL SPECTRUM!!!! On my thread "Flowmaster" I think everybody disliked them, although someone disliked Magnaflow. Kathy and I were trying to duplicate the sound of my '06, which some muffler shops said was a Flowmaster knock off, so I went for it. After about 4000 miles we are still happy with it. I would say there are SO MANY choices it would be good if you could listen to different ones at so kind of meet and greet , rally or a friend. Good luck!!!

Nick

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is a 2005 Six speed. I forgot there may be "cats" under there in the system. We take any cats out on Harleys, and they will come out of my SSR too unless I find out there is a problem passing emissions testing if I do so. Not clear on the stock setup as described above.

Is the stock setup dumping into one muffler and then a Y out to the two tail pipes (with maybe cats in line somewhere too).???

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,903 Posts
When you crawl under there you will see starting at the engine on an 06 as follows. Each exhaust manifold has a header pipe going down and back with a cat in each pipe. Each pipe also has an exhaust bung with an oxygen sensor screwed into it to get exhaust reading for computers. After the cats the pipes come together on the passenger side because of the gas tank on the drivers side. After the pipes merge to one pipe into the muffler. Then two pipes out for tail pipes. To me and the muffler shop the big problem with restrictions is where the two head pipes come together and only one pipe into muffler and the muffler itself. That is why I split the Y pipe coming from the cats and ran a pipe from each exhaust manifold and installed the two pipes in and two pipes out Magnaflow muffler. That muffler has an X pipe inside of it and it helps scavenge the exhaust. Like I said earlier check with an exhaust pro shop and also listen to other SSR's before you decide like moscooter said above. My decision was based on max power and sound on take off, no vibration or drone at highway speed, without braking the bank. Good luck.

·
Slingshot Rules!
71,469 Posts
To celebrate The Doophus's 5th Birthday way back in May of 2010, I had a MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust System installed . . .

Sounded great back then and sounds even greater today with a "mellow rumble" that makes a statement without being "too much."

Highly recommended . . .

! :surprise: ! >:) ! :surprise: ! >:) ! :surprise: !

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,230 Posts
This is my '06 which is the same as '05, from the Engine back, showing the Cats in front. Then the pictures in my Thread "Flowmaster" are Kathy's '04 from the Muffler back. Both are original from Engine to muffler. The new Muffler was welded to the tail pipe in the original place. That puts it under the BED not under the CAB, eliminating some noise inside.

Nick

Attachments

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,903 Posts
Hey Moscotter. Here on TN and in Pa. they physically check to see if cat's are there. Maybe want to check NC laws before removing and have problems.

That is why I used a regular muffler shop as they will not do anything that is illegal here. Lots of states don't allow straight pipes with no muffler and some don't allow cutouts. Better and cheaper to get it right the first time.

·
Registered
77 Posts
What year do you have. Exhaust systems on 03 and 04 are different then 05 and 06. I have an 05.

Here is what I did. Went to a shop called Exhaust Pro's and had the Y pipe on mine split into individual pipes from the manifold through the cats into a Magnaflow stainless X type muffler. Two pipes in and two pipes out and used stock tail pipes. Throaty purr going down the road, no drone or vibration. Very close to true duals. When you stand on it the X muffler really extracts the exhaust and it hauls. You get the full power and sets you back in the seat. Remarkable difference from stock. Sounds and seems much faster.

P.S. Mike from Simple Engineering, Arizona and a couple others helped me work this out. Recently I had the 5 inch Tips from Mike installed. Works and sounds perfect to me.

My experience is stay away from short mufflers and most FloMasters. They are loud and vibrate the whole truck at constant highway speed. Several folks have eliminated the muffler altogether and just run the catalytic converters. Others leave it sort of stock and run an electronic straight pipe cut out if you want to get on it.

Might also contact a local speed shop/custom exhaust shop and see what they suggest. Can be found in your local phone book or on the internet. Good luck.

Like I said to each his or her own. God bless and good luck.

Do you have any pictures we can see?

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,903 Posts
Do you have any pictures we can see?
Sorry, don't know how to do that picture stuff. Too old at 74 and never kept up with the technology. Can barely run this contraption. I can explain and answer any questions if you PM me or e-mail. I have muffler numbers etc.

Auggie and Sunshine
[email protected]

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,903 Posts
Yes please! I am thinking of doing this on my 06.

Also, what is the approximate cost of your modification?

Thanks
He charged me $350 for the exhaust change including the muffler and a few weeks ago I did the large chrome tips from Mike at Simple engineering in Arizona. The muffler shop charged me $40 to cut the old ones off to save and weld the new ones on. Looks and sounds great.

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,903 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Damn, I recognize the significant difference between bikes and their motors and cars/trucks and theirs.............but I cannot stand a muffler (less) straight pipes (drag pipes) Harley. They are TOO LOUD, and the owner is usually obnoxious and continually rapps the throttle to make it even worse. likely he wouldn't even own one if he couldn't try to get the attention he gets (mostly negative) with that setup.

But now I'm seeing some reports of SSR owners claiming coming into campgrounds and other scenarios with straight pipes and not causing a big stir..........This leads me to believe that those "cats" really are indeed (mini) mufflers as it that is the only restriction for (otherwise) a straight open exhaust plus flared large exhaust tips on the end..........Maybe it is indeed reasonable.

I'm confused still as to how to go..........would maybe someone that has added the (cutout) feature, enlighten me as to where they got it and how well that works. Seems that one could do that and have it both ways......a mufflered setup and open when ya want it.

·
HobbyBob
641 Posts
On my 06, I went with Kooks headers, feeding into Kooks Green cats. From there I went to a Magnaflow 3" dual inlet and 3" dual outlet muffler, and new 3" exhaust pipes. This has enough sound without the drone in the cab. .02

·
Registered
446 Posts
From what I have found, those instances of running straight pipe are in conjunction with the stock exhaust manifolds and rear exhaust on vehicles with automatics.

I did the straight pipes on long tube headers, high flow cats, and existing rear pipes and ended up adding magna flow mufflers to tone it down. Mike in AZ is an expert in this space...

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,903 Posts
On my 06, I went with Kooks headers, feeding into Kooks Green cats. From there I went to a Magnaflow 3" dual inlet and 3" dual outlet muffler, and new 3" exhaust pipes. This has enough sound without the drone in the cab. .02

That sounds awesome to me but several of these folks talking about exhaust changes live in California. That probably would not fly for smog inspection. They are much more restricted there.

·
Slingshot Rules!
71,469 Posts
That sounds awesome to me but several of these folks talking about exhaust changes live in California. That probably would not fly for smog inspection. They are much more restricted there.
Not just California, Auggie . . .

Here in Arizona both Tucson and Phoenix have required Emission Testing / Inspection prior to registration renewal.

I betcha similar laws are in force in other States.

Exactly why I chose the MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust System over one that may cause grief down the road. Grief I actually experienced years ago in Atlanta with my '87 Silverado.

My Two Cents Worth . . .

1 - 20 of 32 Posts