Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting my exhaust system in place, I have noticed some even better pricing for it. So I thought I would share it with the rest of you all.
Enjoy!

Chevrolet SSR 03-06 5.3/6.0 Magnaflow Cat Back

Btw, My exhaust system sounds awesome! It's almost as if it begs to be let loose. And I am weak, so I listen. :glol

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Why spend so much on a cat back exaust when all you want is more sound . Cut the muffler out an replace it with a Flowmaster #40 for about 80 bucks.

·
Chevrolet Nut
1,422 Posts
Magna flow

I did some checking when I modified my exhaust. What I did was to get a polished stainless dual inlet and dual outlet magna flo muffler and had it installed. My freind owns a fabrication shop and made the SSR a true dual exhaust by splitting the pipes after the cats leaving the stock exhaust tips in place and putting all new pipes and the muffler in. Sounds a littel more throaty than the sstock set up but works really well.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Has anyone made a check on a dyno . There might be more horse power and toque at lower RPM 2500 to 4500 . A little back presure is good one pipe will pull the other .This is what I have found on my Dynojet bike dyon on the HD. The open drag pipes will just start to come at 4500 rpm .Two pipes into one give more power I the RPM range we use the most . Could be the same for the SSR

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,198 Posts
autodan said:
I did some checking when I modified my exhaust. What I did was to get a polished stainless dual inlet and dual outlet magna flo muffler and had it installed. My freind owns a fabrication shop and made the SSR a true dual exhaust by splitting the pipes after the cats leaving the stock exhaust tips in place and putting all new pipes and the muffler in. Sounds a littel more throaty than the sstock set up but works really well.:rolleyes:
Autodan,

I have the same on mine. We should compare notes (exhaust notes, that is) to see if we had the same change in midrange "feel" as a result. I think we opened up a little midrange torque.... hard to measure. Oh yeah, we need more midrange right?????

The dual in - dual out polished Magnaflow #14568 that I used has an X pipe built in. This model has enough room inside, eliminating the need to put an X pipe in the upstream pipes. Saved me some $. Thanks Magnaflow.

Mike

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
A TRUE dual exhaust with clever crossover is what made my Z06 cam in my 04 SSR all of a sudden deliver 78 more REARwheel horsepower than the stock engine did.

It has been documented by other credible testing that the Z06 cam alone adds only about 32 rwhp to an 03 / 04 LM4 engine, so the exhaust really uncorked the system.

See my book for all the documented blow by blow details.

Jim G

·
Registered
340 Posts
Mike in AZ said:
Jim - What method was used to determine the location of the X-pipe in your system?
I installed my X pipe right ahead of the muffler & the sound is like music to my ears. OH ! I have a very noticeable increase in the mid-range.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Mike in AZ: Reese has done a lot of exhaust design work, both as a race team crew chief and on Gen IIIs in Corvettes, plus he had done one SSR before he did mine.

He developed that clever idea of using the factory flange and a standard available "splitter" to simulate a crossover by instead using a large diameter "merge& then split again" section. Remember, the idea behind a "crossover" relates to timed pressure pulses and available corss section of exhaust exposed to the gas stream, and if you think about it, anyhting the crossover does is actually more elegantly achieved via the method Reese used, as the airflow is inherently better.

I don't know how he selected the pipe diameter, but seriously THINK it may have been simply "as large as will fit with the factory flange", as the cross sectional area of a pipe increases with the SQUARE of the diameter, not proportionately.

As for the location, I have no idea how sensitive the engine is to EXACT location of a crossover or merge, but it clearly has to be reasonably close to the exhaust ports.

I don't know how much of this was experience and how much was luck on Reese's part, but t's really hard to argue with an extra 46 rearwheel hp (78 total gain - 32 due to the cam alone) for exhaust alone, especially when it's only a 5.3 liter engine spinning at only 5000 to 6500 rpm!

And, everyone who has ever driven it says the same thing before they say anything else: "I LOVE the way it sounds".

Tough act to beat.

Jim G

·
Registered
340 Posts
Mr. Jim Gritechi,

First let me say we all appreciate the time you have spent on your "Book". There is some good info for all of us in there. I'd like to say a few things about some of your ideas.

I neither agree nor disagree with your statements as I'm not near as eloquent with words as you are. But along with all your writing & mods that have been made to your SSR it sounds you have all the work designed & preformed by a third party within the industry. You act like your information is the only way to do various mods & your "experts" are the only ones capable of doing things the right way. I not only disagree with your exhaust babbleing but also acting like your "experts" exhaust is the only way to go.

I realize Superchargers are the least expensive way to achieve a gob of HP. However you have practically forgotten about naturally asperated engines that can put out more or less HP then the supercharged engine depending on the mods & pocketbook.

You made a statement in the past that you didn't know if Lingerfelter had worked on an SSR. First of all a SSR is no more nor less a Chevrolet & he has literally done hundreds, plus Lingenfilter turbo-charged 25 2003 SSR's that were painted Red & White. In one of the threads someone mentioned Edlebrock Speed Equipment & you said Edlebrock was "old school". Old yes, however his equipment is cutting edge & his company is growing.

I know you'll get your calculator out & prove me wrong & old school, etc, etc. However I've built more engines & been in more races than most on the Club & I don't went to see anyone led down a one way path.

If I offended anyone I'm sorry, but there are many paths to take to reach the same goals.

TOM:ssr

·
Premium Member
9,382 Posts
Topcat,

You have a unique ability to instill controversy where it isn't needed.

First was your thread on non-supporting members being freeloaders, which needlessly created a lot of hard feelings.

Now, you're going to start knocking Jim G's analysis of everything mechanical. If I remember correctly, Jim's is still a naturally aspirated SSR, so that comment flies right out the window. I hold Jim's ideas in very high esteem, because he's willing to back up his concepts with factual information.

Usually, when someone says they've done more of something or other than anyone else has, I put them on "ignore" because most everything said after that becomes suspect.

So.... that's what I'm doing as of now.

Ray

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Topcat55: Sorry if I offended you somehow.:)

Trying to respond to eahc of your comments:

"But along with all your writing & mods that have been made to your SSR it sounds you have all the work designed & preformed by a third party within the industry. "

Topcat, I know my limitations. While I can, and do, some of the mods on my SSR, I have some significant limitations:

1. My SSR is my daily driver and ONLY transportation. I can't tie it up for days while I LEARN to do something ONCE that my mechnically experienced friends do every day.

2. I don't have, and CAN'T have, a hoist, or cylinder pressurizer (for changing valve springs), or a dyno. The suburb I live in prohibits working on vehicles in the driveway, and there's no way the nosie of a dyno could be disguised, even if I could somehow talk someone into selling me one based on 30 year financing!

3. While I have a reasonably good mind, I am a bit clumsy on fine motor skills, and not afraid to admit it.

I do myself come up with almost all the ideas that get tried on my SSR. The exhaust was an exception, in that while I had a vague idea of what was needed, Reese had a very SPECIFIC idea that he KNEW would work. I read everything I can find, in books, magazines, or on the web, to learn more every day. It is not work for me. It is FUN. I want to keep it that way.

I do not use one "3rd party". I see who is interested in trying something with me, and I also get unsolicted calls and emails from people who want me to try something they have designed. Some of their ideas are GOOD. Dennis Reinhart's driveshaft is one, Reese's exhaust is another, Chris's StabiliSSRs are another, and a good friend is soon to go public with a really good cooling fan solution. If I can help someone with a good idea make it successful, while solving a problem for SSR owners, it makes me extremely happy to do so.

"You act like your information is the only way to do various mods & your "experts" are the only ones capable of doing things the right way."

I have never said that my ideas, or my sources's ideas, are the only way to go. But, I often do point out that while others "talk", my sources deliver dyno-measured results that anyone can duplicate - not just on someone's "magic" dyno. There's an old saying: "Put up or shut up". Me and my "experts" have put up.

" I not only disagree with your exhaust babbleing but also acting like your "experts" exhaust is the only way to go."

Do you have a better exhaust for the SSR right now than one that adds 46 hp by itself? Dyno-verifiable? If so, tell me and show me and everyone else here. I hold no pride of authorship or success on Reese's exhaust. HE designed it, not me. HE installed it, not me. It seems to work really well, so I have told other SSR owners about it. Tell us about YOUR better idea if you have one. On this board, we SHARE, not brag. And, when someone boasts, he'd best be prepared to back it up. We're not lone rangers here. We're a team.

"I realize Superchargers are the least expensive way to achieve a gob of HP. However you have practically forgotten about naturally asperated engines that can put out more or less HP then the supercharged engine depending on the mods & pocketbook."

Whate exactly have I forgotten? My own SSR is NOT supercharged. And yes, it comes somewhat close to the power output of a supercharged 03 / 04 SSR (NOT close to a supercharged 05 / 06 SSR!). So what exactly is my "sin" here?

"You made a statement in the past that you didn't know if Lingerfelter had worked on an SSR. First of all a SSR is no more nor less a Chevrolet & he has literally done hundreds, plus Lingenfilter turbo-charged 25 2003 SSR's that were painted Red & White. "

The SSR is NOT "no more nor less a Chevrolet " in several important ways:

- It is MUCH heavier than any Chevrolet Corvette or Camaro. Anyone who nows vehicles understands the importance of this when engineering both the drivetrain and the handling.

- The thermodynamics on an SSR are very fragile, due to poor underhood temperature control and an overworked 4L60E / 4L65E transmission. It requires special measures NOT comparable to any other Chevrolet

- The SUV chassis has design limitation and features very different than those of a Corvette or Camaro chassis.

- The Gen III engines are VERY different than the "Chevrolet Smallblock". No comparison. A Gen III is FAR more electronic, FAR more efficient, and FAR cheaper to get lots of power out of. The smallblock Chevy was a GREAT engine, but the Gen III is going to surpass it by far.

"In one of the threads someone mentioned Edlebrock Speed Equipment & you said Edlebrock was "old school". Old yes, however his equipment is cutting edge & his company is growing."

Edlebrock is strongest on aftermarkets parts for the Chevrlet SMALLBLOCK, NOT the Gen III engines. There's no Edlebrock manifold for example that will help you on a Gen III. The World is changing. If you don't understand that distinction, I can't help you. You need to LOOK.

"I know you'll get your calculator out & prove me wrong & old school, etc, etc. However I've built more engines & been in more races than most on the Club & I don't went to see anyone led down a one way path."

I take you at your word about what you say you've done, and if so, I respect your experience and accomplishments, Topcat. But if you find what I have been saying on this board somehow offensive or threatening, re-read what I have written and ask yourself why you find it offensive. If anyone here is leading people on a "one way path", it's not me, Topcat. But, something is sure bothering YOU, and I don't think it's very nice to blame your discomfort on ME, and to publicly attack me in an ambush.

Search your heart, guy. Find what is behind your anger.

Jim G

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
I don't have the ability or the experience to do the mods to my vehicle myself. I will not do anything just because they have a great ad. At least Jim has showed us what has happened to his SSR and things that have not. I will take his word on any of the mods he has had performed on his truck.

Thing change, time changes. Old school mechanics are great but can't keep up with modern times if they stay old school.

We would love to see and hear about your mods. topcat!
But don't beat up on Jim and assume that we all are followers without a brain in our heads to think for ourselves. Don't buy his book, don't become a supporting member and don't pick on someone who has put a lot of time and effort into this forum!

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I think Jim G is great :party

1 - 20 of 30 Posts