Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering the fact we have never driven an SSR and we have now bought one We need to ask you fanatics about the windscreen. Is it a real functional item to have while driving topless?
we have owned in the past 2 convertibles but they had back seats so no windscreen was there.
Our Aqua Blur 05 has no screen, Will we want one? screen or clear lexan one?
calook

·
2,421 Posts
In certain situations and you want the top down you’ll be glad you have one. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Calook,
My Roadster came with the factory screen installed. I too have had convertibles. The screen cuts down on the wind-lashing around the cockpit. Less of the blow back. I hope that helps explain the effect. As to which type - some do not like the restriction to the rear view of the factory set up. So you know, doesn't bother me in the least. The aftermarket screens are plexiglass and cut the wind turbulence without rear view obstruction.
My two cents - I am sure you will hear from other Fanatics about their experiences. If you choose Plexi, know there are options. Plain clear, engraved - light up and lighting effects.

Another thought: My first modification was to upgrade the stereo. Wanted a back up camera and blue tooth access for phone, Pandora and maps. There are plenty of aftermarket options out there. Use the search feature to find past Fanatic conversations.

Enjoy your first ride, it will be memorable!
Boomer Bob

·
Slingshot Rules!
72,368 Posts
Interesting question, Calook . . .

It has been 13 plus years since I adopted The Doophus and I rarely, if ever, drive with the top up and have never wanted and/or felt the need for a windscreen.

Also, I found the windscreens in the few SSRs I have briefly driven to be more of a distraction than a benefit. Especially after dark with the clear plexiglass models.

My recommendation . . . "test drive" before you spend the money.

! :surprise: ! :cry ! :surprise: ! :cry ! :surprise: !

·
Ms Donna's Driver
04’ Silver and 05’ Sinister
4,868 Posts
Yes if you drive topless a lot. Not really necessary but it helps with the backlash of wind. As far as screen or solid plexiglass..... both are good and both have a couple draw backs.
There are a few things you need to learn when it comes to adding options to your truck. One is that it is yours and do what every turns you on. Another is that there is no standard as to what needs to be added, if anything. One of the last things for you to learn is that we are your family. Just like all other families, we will support you in what ever you choose for your truck.

Oh yea, welcome and congratulations on your purchase.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I have two SSRs. One came with the plexi and the other came with the factory one. I didn't like the factory one and took it off on the second day I owned it. I have sense gotten a plexi one for the other one.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Welcome to the group having my R for 2 years without a wind screen and top down whenever I can haven't found the need for a wind screen. I would suggest you drive it for awhile and see if you need it. I would get some of the more important things taken car of first like replacing shift connector bolt, heat shield for ABS brake system, and radiator support. Enjoy the ride.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,355 Posts
We have 2. My '06 had the Factory one when we bought it. Last year we bought Kathy's '04 WITHOUT one. I think it ADDS to the appearance when the top is down. She says she can feel the difference. Sooo---I bought a Factory one for hers, mainly because of the complaints of glare at night and higher cost of the clear Plexiglass.

Nick

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
You cant go wrong either way. The R driving experience with the top down will make you Smile so much You wont notice not having one. Be forewarned, You might not notice it, but Your Co-Pilot, if anything like Mine, will notice the wind blowing Her hair around and May want You too try out a wind screen. I have heard some complain about glare in the Plexiglass ones, but I havent noticed it in mine. Good luck whatever you decide and Ride Safe. Welcome too the Group, from Friendswood, Texas

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,004 Posts
Welcome from Houston, Texas.

I have both the factory and the clear and prefer the clear. The clear can add a bit of reflective glare, but works better to block the backdraft and easier to see thru for me.

- Robert
:silver:

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
I’m short so I would not want the factory one it would be in the way of the rear view mirror.
I like mine I like in the rural area so it is a hike 100 mile round trip is very common if I lived in town may not would want one.
They are right the clear one light reflect on it you really have to watch it.
Come to Avery I let you test drive mine.
Good luck

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,356 Posts
Calook, I'll try to explain this as simply as I can. :wink2:

In your post you refer to "we" as new owners. I'll assume you are referring to you and your wife. If that is indeed the case then you must proceed post-haste and purchase a windscreen. :surprise:

If you don't want to look over to your right ((while driving top down)) and see your wife looking something like this..........

~~~~ 2018-11-22-16-43-54--1863318875.jpeg ~~~~​

Then you are about to get your a_ _ kicked. This action is usually followed by vocal threats that she will "never sit down in that thing again!!!!" If this happens to you, an order for a new windscreen had better be in your immediate future. :grin2:

★☆★ - Welcome to the site Calook. You'll love it here. :x

===============
David :black:
images-31.jpeg

·
Daily Driver
8,940 Posts
Without a windscreen you can't keep a head on your beer.
With a windscreen you'll only lose the foam above the rim.

Seriously though, it helps if you or your passenger have long hair and care about it getting disheveled.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
3,428 Posts
I had the factory screen on my first SSR and didn't like how dark it was at night looking through the tinted glass and screen. My current truck did not have a wind screen and my wife was always complaining about the hair whipping around in her face. She didn't like wearing a hat and tried a scarf but they got hot in the summer and equally messed up her hair..
Purchased the plexiglass style this summer and it's really cool looking and reduces the wind whipping around without losing the sense of being "topless"! I have only driven it a few times after dark but don't recall any glare being an issue.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Ret. Air Force
3,720 Posts
David @Warrior=='06 you crack me up...you're a funny dude! But you are spot on about the hair!! :laugh: :laugh:
Bruce @xoxoxoBruce excellent points relating to the avoidance of Alcohol Abuse!! :smile2: :wink2:

Not to mention the fact that nobody wants a stray hair in their beer either!!
:cheers

Love my plexiglass windscreen, and more importantly...Tina loves it. :cheer:
Plus, I don't have any of the glare problems that others have mentioned.

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
Welcome from LA.

In addition to the info you asked for let me Highly Recommend that you contact Simple Engineering for a listing of the OEM parts that you may want to consider replacing before you experience an away from home breakdown. :crying: Mike will assist you and provide you with QUALITY parts for you R. Low miles isn't a guarantee of no breakdowns.

"Long may you run":grin2:

Considering the fact we have never driven an SSR and we have now bought one We need to ask you fanatics about the windscreen. Is it a real functional item to have while driving topless?
we have owned in the past 2 convertibles but they had back seats so no windscreen was there.
Our Aqua Blur 05 has no screen, Will we want one? screen or clear lexan one?
calook

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey 04 PurpleHaze,
You mentioned 3 items that I have seen listed in mods of other fanatics cars. What's the problems I should look for with these 3 items. Especially in our 700 mile drive home from picking it up? Any info is appreciated.
Calook1967

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Warrior
Yes you are correct my Bride of 41 years is my copilot. But she is accustomed to messed hair from riding our Harley. Helmet hair.
calook1967

1 - 20 of 24 Posts