Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would have put this in General Off Topic except for the interesting SSR connection.
In the last couple weeks I have started receiving calls offering to extend the warrantee on my 2009 Chevrolet SSR . They are coming in at the rate of about 3-4 a day. I keep asking that they take me off their list since I do not have such a vehicle. I just wonder what their source is for a call list. Has anyone else received these calls or figured out a way to stop them?

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
We get 4 or 5 a week. Most of them are for cars I traded or sold many years ago. We have asked them to stop calling, told them we no longer own such vehicle, and waited until the end of the message to press the "take me of your list" number; all to no avail. It is always a different number so blocking is of no use.

·
Slingshot Rules!
69,017 Posts

Same here, Dwight . . . average about 3 or 4 per day. Many days even more.

Extended Warranty, Student Loan, Home Warranty and Offers to Buy My Home. The list goes on and on and on.

I frequently do the Do Not Call BS but the calls keep coming. I have often wondered how many calls I would be receiving if I did not do the Do Not Call BS thing.

! :mad: ! :cry: ! :mad: ! :cry: ! :mad: !

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We get 4 or 5 a week. Most of them are for cars I traded or sold many years ago. We have asked them to stop calling, told them we no longer own such vehicle, and waited until the end of the message to press the "take me of your list" number; all to no avail. It is always a different number so blocking is of no use.
But there was NEVER a 2009 SSR so it should not even be an option for them

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I hate being bothered by pesky sales people trying to sell something useless I don't need or want or, worse, trying to scam me. If I have the time I will keep them on the phone as long as I can just to frustrate them in hopes they will quit and go find a real job. I know, I'm a crusty old fart.

·
Premium Member
1,932 Posts
Same problems here. Used to get a few for a Vette I had sold years before. But now still get them about every week for my old Avalanche 2005 and my wifes Equinox 2012..............Plus the occasional same offers show up in the mailbox.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Next time tell them yes you want to get it and to send you the paper work on it. They will want a credit card but tell them you will send a check after you get the paperwork. That might frustrate them enough to get you removed from their list

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
3,993 Posts
EXCATLY----its always a different number. Thats why we don't answer any number or ID we don't know. If they leave a message, on the house phone, we will pick it before the end, and talk if we know them. On the cell phoe we listen to the message then call back if we want to call.

Nick

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
3,993 Posts
Next time tell them yes you want to get it and to send you the paper work on it. They will want a credit card but tell them you will send a check after you get the paperwork. That might frustrate them enough to get you removed from their list
Hmmmm--- that might be the secret, tell them you don't have ANY credit cards :eek::cool:

Nick

·
SSR Believer
1,197 Posts
We get those and others periodically. The answer is, don’t answer since it confirms that your number is “live” to the robo-dialers. Once that happens they’re not only relentless, they sell your number to other bad actors. If they aren’t in our contacts they’re ignored. If it’s legit they’ll leave a message.

We have a home phone (land line) that we never use only because it’s part of the cable company’s “triple play” package making it cheaper than broadband and TV alone, go figure. We keep one phone connected for an emergency, but we have the line set up to block ALL incoming calls, but a few still get through somehow. We never answer.

Same goes for texts. We never open any we don’t recognize as that too confirms an active number to the spammers.

We try to never open emails we don’t recognize either and if we do by mistake we never, ever click on any links or attachments. (Even if the email looks legit we still never click on any links.) We’ve set “load remote content” in emails to off as well since even that confirms an active address.

The age we live in I guess. If only the bad guys would use their powers for good. :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,932 Posts
:rolleyes:
It seems many of us have had to deal with this problem relating to car/truck warranties, etc.
The one that "jacks me up" the most is the guy (with an obvious foreign accent) and background noise that suggest his call is being replicated by other stiffs in the same room.

But, he asks about your PC, somehow he wants you to believe he has "detected" that your system has a problem and only he can solve it. All ya gotta do is turn over control of your system to him and he will fix it:mad:..

I'm not too reserved in the language I give back to some retard like that.

If only I could be in the same room with that guy, he would not survive:oops:

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
I would have put this in General Off Topic except for the interesting SSR connection.
In the last couple weeks I have started receiving calls offering to extend the warrantee on my 2009 Chevrolet SSR . They are coming in at the rate of about 3-4 a day. I keep asking that they take me off their list since I do not have such a vehicle. I just wonder what their source is for a call list. Has anyone else received these calls or figured out a way to stop them?
@BlueStreak mmmmm...guess the answer to your question is "No". I did recieve a printed ad for insuring my "2009" some weeks back, just ignored and chalked it up to operator error...now you have me wondering - something had to trigger...

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just answer and if it is a sales call I just hang up and BLOCK the number on my cell phone. I figure if I block enough calls they will run out of numbers.

The house phone is connected to the fax!
I have to go to my Cellular carrier because I got a SPAM text yesterday and when I went to block the number it offered to unblock the number. I thought "what is wrong with this picture?"

Reactions: DrDJ

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
I just answer and if it is a sales call I just hang up and BLOCK the number on my cell phone. I figure if I block enough calls they will run out of numbers.

The house phone is connected to the fax!
@Stiles Sport Roadster: let me know how that works out for you...been trying for years. Now they have capability to mimic local prefix so you think you are receiving a local call, if you block one, they just randomly select another and so it goes - cannot believe govt. or carriers or somebody cannot do or invent something that will work or legislate these idiots out of business. I am all for free enterprise, however, my patience has a limit.

·
Premium Member
1,932 Posts
@Stiles Sport Roadster: let me know how that works out for you...been trying for years. Now they have capability to mimic local prefix so you think you are receiving a local call, if you block one, they just randomly select another and so it goes - cannot believe govt. or carriers or somebody cannot do or invent something that will work or legislate these idiots out of business. I am all for free enterprise, however, my patience has a limit.
(y)
I totally agree. They have the ability to just keep generating calls to you via different numbers each time. I keep blocking them but they still keep coming.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,858 Posts
I have two things that have greatly reduced the number of crap calls I answer every day....

#1) I signed up with my cellular carrier (AT&T) to participate in their “Spam Risk” and “Telemarketer” program. The AT&T system has automatic caller ID and those two categories are maintained by the system. When I get a call that Is identified as “Spam Risk” or ”Telemarketer”, I just don’t answer it.

#2) I only answer calls from numbers that I recognize. This is why “first time callers” to me will need to leave a message. I then add their name and number to my “Contacts” and call them back. Just so you know...... This will make a large contact list.... my current contact list has 2500 names and descriptions.

The two things above work quite well........ PROVIDED..... that you have enough discipline to NOT just answer the phone when it rings. The only time that the junk phone calls get through is when I let my guard down and violate #2.... I then remind myself to let the phone screen my calls.... Usually followed with calling myself “dumbass“.....

Regards,

Mike

1 - 20 of 26 Posts