Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tips/recommendations of what has worked best to keep it show room ready:grin2:

Ceramic detailing - is it effective? Do it yourself vs having it done? What are the costs? I checked out one place that wants to charge $700!!:surprise:

Your input much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Guess I'm just a old fart,but the old fashion way.Wax on,was off. A good car wash soap in between. Has worked for me a long time. New fangled may be better,but not for the price they want.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,379 Posts
I would say it depends on how far you want to take it!? I'm an old fart too, and was always too lazy to wax. In the old days bought a bottle of wash and wax. Today I use the California duster then the Show and Shine type products, Meguiars Ultimate Quick Detailer, Etc.

Nick

·
Slingshot Rules!
72,528 Posts
A well done Clay Bar Treatment will make a huge improvement to any "neglected" finish.

Usually runs about twice as much as an exterior detailing . . . definitely not 700 bucks.

Good Luck.

! :surprise: ! :cheers ! :surprise: ! :cheers ! :surprise: !

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,051 Posts
Top Coat F-11. None better for all surfaces. Works on paint, glass, interior and all plastic and rubber. One product does all surfaces and materials. Fantastic stuff.
check it out on you tube.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A well done Clay Bar Treatment will make a huge improvement to any "neglected" finish.

Usually runs about twice as much as an exterior detailing . . . definitely not 700 bucks.

Good Luck.

And that's somewhat of what I'm going to be dealing with. Some areas like in corners have some built up dirt stuff and other areas show evidence of bad wax job but for the most part the color looks good for a vehicle that didn't get alot of detailing care.

I want to restore it back to as close as can be to a shiny penny. :wink2:

Attachments

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,366 Posts
I would say it depends on how far you want to take it!? I'm an old fart too, and was always too lazy to wax. In the old days bought a bottle of wash and wax. Today I use the California duster then the Show and Shine type products, Meguiars Ultimate Quick Detailer, Etc.

Nick
===========================================
While NOT admitting to being an old fart (!!) Nick, this sounds exactly like the procedure I take with my BLACK FPR as well!! - :smile2:

Glad to see another fan of the California Duster!! I love mine..........

images-33.jpeg

==============
David :black:
images-2.png

·
Tech Support/Research
1,683 Posts
Wax vs. Sealant

Adam's Polishes has a good series of videos on car care at their web site: https://adamspolishes.com/video

In Video No. 16 "Wax vs. Sealant," the founder discusses choosing between paint sealants and waxes. After watching that one you might be able to make a more informed decision based on your usage and extent of exposure of your car to the elements.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,051 Posts
===========================================
While NOT admitting to being an old fart (!!) Nick, this sounds exactly like the procedure I take with my BLACK FPR as well!! - :smile2:

Glad to see another fan of the California Duster!! I love mine..........

==============
View attachment 526935
You convinced me so I bought one this last winter. Works great . Did the whole truck in and out including glass and running boards with the Top Coat F-11 first. Now just hit it with the duster. Shines like a jewel. I know we will take a lot of flap about the duster but I love mine. Thanks for suggesting it.

·
Bad is Good
288 Posts
Top Coat F-11. None better for all surfaces. Works on paint, glass, interior and all plastic and rubber. One product does all surfaces and materials. Fantastic stuff.
check it out on you tube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-XXbMlasmU
all right Auggie
been listening to your rave reviews this past year:wink2:
ordered some
going to give it a try:wink2:
bennyb

·
BLU SSR
3,464 Posts

Good Luck.

We just Clay barred and then F11'd both our SSRs . For comparison , The red has 98K on it and Blur has 22K. Red was neglected and in need of attention and Blur has been pampered and covered most of it's life. Clay bar on Red took about twice as long but was really worth it , brought the finish back and some shine , F11 finished the job and shine is great . The difference on Blur was not as dramatic because it started out in good shape but the Clay Bar made it extra smooth and the F11 added more shine than it had since we have owned it (Had 6K on it and had never seen rain). Just my opinion but if your able to do the work , a $20 Clay Bar kit and $30 bottle of F11 would be a lot cheaper fix and you would be very satisfied . :yesnod :blur: :ssr

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,366 Posts
You convinced me so I bought one this last winter. Works great . Did the whole truck in and out including glass and running boards with the Top Coat F-11 first. Now just hit it with the duster. Shines like a jewel. I know we will take a lot of flap about the duster but I love mine. Thanks for suggesting it.
==========================================

Ain't no thang, Auggie. --- :nerd:

I recall some dude from "Sunny Sturgis, South Dakota" helping me out not so long ago with some advice on interior trim!! - :surprise:

Thanks, brother. - :smile2:

===============

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,366 Posts
Okay, I'm in. Just left Ebay after ordering some Top Coat F11. I haven't seen even one bad report on it here on the Forum so figured I'd give it a try. - :smile2:

===============

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
Okay, I'm in. Just left Ebay after ordering some Top Coat F11. I haven't seen even one bad report on it here on the Forum so figured I'd give it a try. - :smile2:

===============
:|

Great. I'll be real interested in your opinion after you get it and give it a try on your ride. Many months ago, one of the last times we explored this topic, I became interested in F11, but while you say you haven't seen one bad report on it here, you can find many youtube videos on line that compare it with other choices and say F11 is not as good nor is it any better than some others.

That kinda made me go into a "wait and see" mode.......and your getting some and maybe others too will be good to hear about. I decided that Auggie must be on "commission" with the product line cause of his undying support for it.:wink2::smile2:

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,051 Posts
No commission just good stuff. I was always looking for one product to do all surfaces because over the years I had a whole shelf full of stuff. One for paint, one for leather, one for tires, one for glass, one for rubber or plastic, one for chrome, etc., and on and on. This stuff does it all and it looks good. S2NAZ turned me onto it back in December of 2017 so blame him. Best thing he did for me.

Reactions: tennesseecozydog

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
The only thing I've ever used is Stuart's Shine Quick Detailer that I started using back when I had my 55's and continued to use it on my SSR. Works for me, so I guess that's all that matters. :smile2: :smile2: :smile2: tennesseecozydog :ssr

1 - 20 of 45 Posts