Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a Exterior Windshield Visor for my S S R. Could be sheet metal or fiberglass.
I am going for the look of the "Big Rig" eg. Peterbilt, etc.
Thank You.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,550 Posts
SWT RYD, now Linda has a real neat idea. Can't wait to see this cool addition to the "R" if it's possible.
Anything is possible if you have the $$$. Hope to see this at a practical price for those who want it. In my case it would just make the traffic lights harder to see when sitting on front of the line.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,375 Posts
My first car was a 1951 ford and it had a visor. Always liked that look but then again none of those vehicles back then had the top go down. Don't know how it would look with the top down. Don't know if the pillar posts could support it. Maybe someone could photo shop it.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So there are no fabricators out there ? No one can recommend a vendor for this type of Project ?

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
Difficult to see

Heck it's difficult enough to see the stop lights now much less with a visor. :nerd: Yes my fathers Fire Engine RED 53 GMC had a visor:grin2:, so did my 49 Plymouth along with a VERY big BACK seat>:) Oh my these trips down memory lane without a GPS to get me back home are tough.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,006 Posts
We had a vintage blue tinted visor on the 50 Chevy truck my son and I rebuilt. The 1954 model had a one piece curved windshield and the contour may be right but I suspect it would be too narrow for the SSR. the Cabs on the old trucks were very narrow. I would think one could be made with some tinted lexan. The attachment would be the challenging part, it would need to be securely fastened to the windshield pillars and header which means drilling and permanent modification....Yikes!
Lots of wind force on that going 75 mph or more. Would be really really bad if it came loose.

·
Premium Member
2,443 Posts
:smile2:

Don't we have a guy on the forum here named Carl. I think he has some special talent with "mocking" up different "looks" for SSRs.

I recall someone wanted a COE look for their SSR and he showed just how it might look.

Bet he could show just how an exterior visor might look too.:wink2:

·
Registered
605 Posts
just remember you will be drilling holes in your R to mount it. Having visors in the past on a few vehicles (F150, ranger, explorer) I would not do them again. They can also increase interior noise and if not opened may cause drag.

·
Registered
29 Posts
SSR Visor

So there are no fabricators out there ? No one can recommend a vendor for this type of Project ?
Linda,
I've been looking for one also, There are some on Ebay, but nothing looked good enough to trip the trigger. Since I haven't found anything unique, I am considering going to a custom sheet metal fabricator, but don't have the $$$'s to that point yet.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
I have the same issues but found a cheap, although not perfect, way of helping that problem. Look on Ebay for Traffic Light Prisms, they have some relatively cheap, suction cup mounted ones. While the quality of the optics are not perfect, You can still see the traffic lights when you get close.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts