Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw in the new Brookstone ad in the paper that they are selling an external temp gauge for vehicles. It mounts on the dash or wherever you want to put it and the sensor goes to your bumper. cost is $25. That is a great deal for that item. Seen a few but this one looks to be the ticket for what we want in terms of outside temp. gonna check it out today at the mall. Will get back to you with feed back.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
go to your local Brookstone Dealer and buy one! It looks good, it works and the only minor problem is the sensor has a wire that leads to the device, but I think I can cleverly hide that and run the sensor out thorugh the door hinge. Don't have time to take a pic this week, but later on I will. Very nice device. Looks much more expensive than it is.

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
Ricochet said:
Why not just get the 2005 Aux cluster it includes an outside read out.
I really don't want the clutter of the cluster. The outside air temp. would only be just a simple install somewhere on the dash perhaps.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Donnysan: One reason, $$$$$$$$$$$$. I plan on putting mine just above the ash tray which I never use cause I don't smoke. Run the wire down through the ash tray under the dash and put the sensor end at the door hinge area where it meets the hood. It attahces with velcro. Only 25 bucks as opposed to the $115 for the wireless one you posted. Each to their own. There are definately a myriad of products out there for everyone and their tastes.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,105 Posts
Nice unit Donnysan. The yellow backlight isn't on my wish list, but the technology is cool. I've seen one of these and really liked it. The compass feature is something my wife uses in our Tahoe and misses in the SSR. Not enough to make me want to install this though.

Regards

·
Registered
59 Posts
Inside outside temp for $7.49

Go to your local Harbor Freight Tools store where they sell a unit I have used. It gives inside/outside (wired) temps and is easy to install.

It is on sale online for $7.49 right now and the local store should honor the online price if you print out the page and take it in.

Go to: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44984

I bought several of them, a year or so ago, on sale for under $5.

Still have one in our Motor Home and have never had a problem with any of them I installed in various vehicles over the last 8 years.

H

·
Registered
374 Posts
Mike in AZ said:
Nice unit Donnysan. The yellow backlight isn't on my wish list, but the technology is cool. I've seen one of these and really liked it. The compass feature is something my wife uses in our Tahoe and misses in the SSR. Not enough to make me want to install this though.

Regards

This one is green backlit --

http://www.shopctglobal.com/?page=s...category_id=5e13f000c48b5cc5372900722b3f151c&

This unit kinda gets away from the thread topic of outside temperature, but it's pretty cool. Since 05 and 06 models already display outside temperatures on the auxiliary gauge pod, this would be a nice addition. I like the weather forcasting feature.

http://www.shopctglobal.com/?page=s...category_id=5e13f000c48b5cc5372900722b3f151c&

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts