Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 05 in for number of common problems. The tech told me that they did a vcm reflash. I know what that is , but does anyone know what this factory prescribed up date is supposed to accomplish? There is another thread that suggests that it is a torque reducing performance decrease to protect the drive train, but thats hopefully not the case.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
My attitude on factory reflashes is that since the vehicle is now MINE, not GMs, and since they did not prewarn me at the time of purchases that they may want to from time to time reflash it, they need to explain to me what the purpose of each proposed reflash is, and let ME decide if I want it or not on MY vehicle. I don't think that is at all unreasonable, and if the service man cannot describe what the changes are intended to accomplish, I will forbid its installation on my vehicle.

Note that the new SS Trailblazer, which has suppsoedly the eidentical LS2 engine as your SSR, is inexplicably slower than the SSR and GTO, after allowing for differences in weight and gearing (the SS has a factory 4.11 ratio!!). So, I would be cautious about approving an 05 / 06 reflash if it were my vehicle. (see my psoting on Trailblazer SS)

By purchasing tuning software, you acqauire the ability to download and SAVE any tune from your vehicle. Then, if you don't like a new reflash, you can UNload it by overwriting with a tuner you know you liked.

Most microtuners will not allow you to do this, as they can store only ONE "current stock" tune, in addition to their own custom tune.

There's a lot to PCM software . . .

Jim G

1 - 2 of 2 Posts