·
Premium Member
2003 SSR
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hood Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Automotive tire Bumper

Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire Helmet

Hello all.

I’m no mechanic, but I do turn some wrenches when needed on the easy to medium technical tasks.

Doing my oil change and adding simple engineering heat sheild for ABS and shifter fix, I came across part that has me scratching my head.

I’m front of the radiator and low win the fascia. Just inside of the bumper frame is the part in question.
It looks like a long this radiator or some sort of heat exchanger. But, I’m not sure what it’s connected to.

The reason I ask is I’ve owned my ‘03 R for about a year and I’m doing some rust repair as I go.

This part is so rusted, I’m afraid it is going to fall apart soon.

I’ve attached some photos hoping that you folks can help me identify the part and possible solution for replacement.

Thank you
-Ken in Texas.

·
Premium Member
2006 Black over Silver
60 Posts
I'm not sure from the pictures but it looks like an external Transmission Cooler. It's mounted in front of the radiator near the front grill, and it looks like cooling fines. I have a stick so I'm guessing but lot times that were they install them. Someone else will chime in with Automatic will know for sure.

·
Premium Member
2003 SSR
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking it might be, it just seems small and the lines are coming in from the driver’s side. If it’s a trans cooler, I’m gonna get an aftermarket unit, once I can verify the fluid routing.
Thank you. I’m still researching.

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 S/C Pac Blue 6spd
1,713 Posts
I was thinking it might be, it just seems small and the lines are coming in from the driver’s side. If it’s a trans cooler, I’m gonna get an aftermarket unit, once I can verify the fluid routing.
Thank you. I’m still researching.
Factory automatic transmission cooler is in the radiator. What you are looking at is the power steering cooler.

·
Premium Member
2003 SSR
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome folks!!!
Seems this is a common Chevy rusty part.

I’m looking to add a trans cooler and I wasn’t familiar with this long slender powersteering cooler.
Mine isn’t leaking yet, but I’m sure it’s not far from it in it’s current condition

Looks like the newer ones are at least painted.
Thank y’all for helping me identify this part.

I’ll add pics of the process if anyone is interested in this rabbit hole.
😂

Thanks again.

·
SSR Believer
3,927 Posts
Awesome folks!!!
Seems this is a common Chevy rusty part.

I’m looking to add a trans cooler and I wasn’t familiar with this long slender powersteering cooler.
Mine isn’t leaking yet, but I’m sure it’s not far from it in it’s current condition

Looks like the newer ones are at least painted.
Thank y’all for helping me identify this part.

I’ll add pics of the process if anyone is interested in this rabbit hole.
😂

Thanks again.
If you’re thinking about towing or putting your trans though some heavy duty service, an external trans cooler might be the way to go. However if you’re just looking to improve it over stock you might want to consider one of Mike’s “deep dish” pans instead. Extra capacity, finned for additional cooling and a much faster and easier install.

Your profile doesn’t say, but if you have an automatic you might also want to install a C6 Corvette Servo for much improved shifting, especially first to second - while you’re doing any transmission work that is.

My $.02 ;)

·
Premium Member
2003 SSR
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you’re thinking about towing or putting your trans though some heavy duty service, an external trans cooler might be the way to go. However if you’re just looking to improve it over stock you might want to consider one of Mike’s “deep dish” pans instead. Extra capacity, finned for additional cooling and a much faster and easier install.

Your profile doesn’t say, but if you have an automatic you might also want to install a C6 Corvette Servo for much improved shifting, especially first to second - while you’re doing any transmission work that is.

My $.02 ;)
Both Great ideas. I hadn’t thought about the deeper pan. That may be the way to go. No hauling with this R.
Thank You!!!

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur, top secret can't say anything about another one
7,066 Posts
If you are a do it your self kind of person I did a write up on my transmission upgrades. It might be worth a read. I would say now after going through it all I would order the stuff from Mike at Simple Engineering. Way less head aches and work. I have a lot of fittings and hose around so I thought it would be easier to do it my self. I was wrong. I am still proud of my work but on the easy scale it was not worth it. Also some of the coolers can be hard to get at times. I had to wait for mine for a while from the time I ordered it till I got it.
Here is the post I had originally on mine

·
Premium Member
2003 SSR
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you are a do it your self kind of person I did a write up on my transmission upgrades. It might be worth a read. I would say now after going through it all I would order the stuff from Mike at Simple Engineering. Way less head aches and work. I have a lot of fittings and hose around so I thought it would be easier to do it my self. I was wrong. I am still proud of my work but on the easy scale it was not worth it. Also some of the coolers can be hard to get at times. I had to wait for mine for a while from the time I ordered it till I got it.
Here is the post I had originally on mine
Thank you sir.
I’ll definitely give it a read.
My R needs some upgrades and these have been added to the list.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts