Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
BAD BOW TIE
8,988 Posts
Interesting, Robert . . .

Your wife refuses to ride with you since she owns her own SSR?

! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: !
It's not that. She won't let him ride with her.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Farmer is picking his cotton so thought I'd pictures. Cold snap coming also. View attachment 570234 View attachment 570236
:rolleyes:

No, I would disagree he is "picking" his cotton..............He is maybe (harvesting) and/or gathering his cotton..........but he ain't "pickin' it".

My parents were born/raised in Mississippi. I spent most every summer as a kid down there and had (very brief) experiences as to working with cotton. Kids were let out of school to "pick" cotton back in the day.........they drag long bags behind them as they "picked" each cotton bole. I maybe picked three or four plants myself and also plowed a whole row behind a mule. Also "chopped" cotton too.

Just sayin".....................:)

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:rolleyes:

No, I would disagree he is "picking" his cotton..............He is maybe (harvesting) and/or gathering his cotton..........but he ain't "pickin' it".

My parents were born/raised in Mississippi. I spent most every summer as a kid down there and had (very brief) experiences as to working with cotton. Kids were let out of school to "pick" cotton back in the day.........they drag long bags behind them as they "picked" each cotton bole. I maybe picked three or four plants myself and also plowed a whole row behind a mule. Also "chopped" cotton too.

I will say harvesting, but technically the harvester picks the cotton off the stalk.

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

1. :rolleyes:

No, I would disagree he is
    Screenshot_20191107-050009.png
    "picking" his cotton..............He is maybe (harvesting) and/or gathering his cotton..........but he ain't "pickin' it".

Even the cotton industry calls it a cotton picker.
    Screenshot_20191107-035959.png

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts

1. Even the cotton industry calls it a cotton picker. View attachment 570250
:rolleyes: OK, ya got me on this one. Now I gotta check on the (corn). Ya used to pick corn also, but I would have thought the machinery that (gathers up) the corn would be known as a harvester......not a picker. I'll look into it.;)

Meantime, ya gotta go back a long time to have plowed behind a mule.

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:rolleyes: OK, ya got me on this one. Now I gotta check on the (corn). Ya used to pick corn also, but I would have thought the machinery that (gathers up) the corn would be known as a harvester......not a picker. I'll look into it.;)

Meantime, ya gotta go back a long time to have plowed behind a mule.
very rarely but they still pick corn with a corn picker. Then the corn and the cob is ground up mostly for livestock feed. On the subject of a plow, a plow is a plow whether it's pulled buy a mule or a whatever. The Amish still use this type of farming. Any other farming subjects you want to talk about.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
very rarely but they still pick corn with a corn picker. Then the corn and the cob is ground up mostly for livestock feed. On the subject of a plow, a plow is a plow whether it's pulled buy a mule or a whatever. The Amish still use this type of farming. Any other farming subjects you want to talk about.
Yup, I looked it up. Some call them corn pickers, others call them harvesters. I did learn the reason behind the term (combine). That is because the machine in question performs more than one operation. :)

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yup, I looked it up. Some call them corn pickers, others call them harvesters. I did learn the reason behind the term (combine). That is because the machine in question performs more than one operation. :)
Don't question a man outstanding in his field.😁😁😁😁. I know that's corny.😁😁😁. Ok I'll stop there.

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Oh, silly me, I thought the original post would cause more pictures of Fall scenes to be posted :unsure:

Nick
Isn't this fun. Since I started the thread, go ahead post your Fall pictures. Maybe you better wait maybe somebody will come along (@Firetruck) and pay you $25 for your best picture.
Hurryup winter is coming.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts