Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
OP
8,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, don't laugh, this may be a stupid question but what do I know?

OK, with all the talk lately about how hot it gets under our SSR hoods I was wondering if it would be possible to mount a fan(s) somewhere under the engine compartment to assist in sucking out some of the heat, kinda like PC muffin fans work?

Obviously it would need to be flat such as a transmission cooler fan and durable not to mention unobtrusive while being functional. I am sure there are better ways so I am just brainstorming...without a brain...before anyone else says it. :confused :leaving

·
OP
8,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hover

Y'know, the more i think about this and before anyone else says it, a strong enough fan(s) could turn the SSR into a hovercraft :lol :lol :lol :glol :leaving

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
The problems with just blowing the hot air out from the engine compartment are:

1. Hot air rises, so you are fighting city hall if you try to blow it downward

2. But, you can't blow it upward either, because the only place for it to go is to the area in front of air intake and radiator (via the path OVER the radiator), where it will do 2 bad things:
(a) push hot air into the engine air intake (Less so on the 05 with its foam gaskets over the air intake box, but STILL even there)
(b) push the same hot air that just came through the radiator back through the radiator where it can heat the rad some more!

I think brute force might be the best answer:

An aftermarket HIGH CFM fan with a 100% duty cycle to replace the current stock fan, AND either a cold air induction hood (best) or a louvered hood to at least give the hot air an easier way out!

Jim G

·
OP
8,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, ok I thought about that

and I agree that fighting hot air rising is a factor but as we seem to all agree heat build up seems to mainly be a factor at long idles or heavy slow moving traffic where, typically, a louvered or air induction hood would serve little benefit, same holds true for a below fascia air scoop previously discussed in another thread.

So I agree that a heavier fan set up is the most logical solution to replace the ones we have, I also agree that removing the tranny cooling from the radiator would help, so when a viable aftermarket solution becomes available for the above, I feel we will be on the right track most of us novices can reach in cooling down our powerplants. :seeya

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
The louvered hood and the cold air induction have two different ideas behind them.

The louvered hood is first an attempt to try to cool down at least somewhat the underhood environment. It uses the notion that the high underhood temperature creates the potential for a natural convection situation; The air just needs an exit through the highest point of the closed environment - the hood. A louvered hood provides that exit. A louvered hood would help a lot even when the vehicle is stopped, for that reason. With any speed, it gets better, as incoming air coming in through the grill now has an easier and faster, and somewhat "air pressure driven" path through the engine compartment and out the louvers. There is also a MILDLY beneficial effect on the incoming air flowing into the engine's air intake, as the air drawn into the engine is a mix of both underhood air and fresh air coming in via the grill opening. The underhood air portion of that mix is now slightly cooler.

The cold air hood on the other hand does nothing to cool the underhood environment. What it does is it isolates the engine's air induction from that hot underhood environment. That ensures that the engine's POWER OUTPUT is not radically reduced by a high temperature intake air charge. Every 10 degree increase in induction air temperature reduces power by approximately 1%. If we can draw even hot 90 degree ambient air on a hot summer day intead of the 200 degree air from under the hood, we reduce incoming air temperature into the engine by 110 degrees, and at least theoretically prevent a power loss of 11%! In actual fact, because the PCM takes draconian proactive measures to protect the engine when it senses high incoming air temperature, the actual power loss avoidance is considerably higher!

A cold air intake coupled WITH a louvered hood would be paticularly helpful, but probably ugly, unless the cold air intake ducting comes internally from the grill area or from a fender.

Jim G

·
I'm not cool...
2,096 Posts
well said Jim!

did you ever take a closer look at the 'rear mounted turbo' from STS?
I think that might solve some heat issues :flag

·
OP
8,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JimGnitecki said:
The louvered hood and the cold air induction have two different ideas behind them.

The louvered hood is first an attempt to try to cool down at least somewhat the underhood environment. It uses the notion that the high underhood temperature creates the potential for a natural convection situation; The air just needs an exit through the highest point of the closed environment - the hood. A louvered hood provides that exit. A louvered hood would help a lot even when the vehicle is stopped, for that reason. With any speed, it gets better, as incoming air coming in through the grill now has an easier and faster, and somewhat "air pressure driven" path through the engine compartment and out the louvers. There is also a MILDLY beneficial effect on the incoming air flowing into the engine's air intake, as the air drawn into the engine is a mix of both underhood air and fresh air coming in via the grill opening. The underhood air portion of that mix is now slightly cooler.

The cold air hood on the other hand does nothing to cool the underhood environment. What it does is it isolates the engine's air induction from that hot underhood environment. That ensures that the engine's POWER OUTPUT is not radically reduced by a high temperature intake air charge. Every 10 degree increase in induction air temperature reduces power by approximately 1%. If we can draw even hot 90 degree ambient air on a hot summer day intead of the 200 degree air from under the hood, we reduce incoming air temperature into the engine by 110 degrees, and at least theoretically prevent a power loss of 11%! In actual fact, because the PCM takes draconian proactive measures to protect the engine when it senses high incoming air temperature, the actual power loss avoidance is considerably higher!

A cold air intake coupled WITH a louvered hood would be paticularly helpful, but probably ugly, unless the cold air intake ducting comes internally from the grill area or from a fender.

Jim G
Understood and agree, but I probably won't change my hood unless it becomes a real issue. You, on the other hand, have a bigger problem in your SSR in that I am sure the Rhino does nothing to dissipate heat not to mention the "dung" issue.....

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
The rear mounted turbo lost some of its allure for me for two reasons

1. It produces power most effectively starting at 3000 rpm, almost nothing below that, whereas a positive displcement blower starts quite a bit earlier.

2. Once you add in the heavy customization and tuning required (no standard kit yet available for the SSR), the cost gets much higher, and close to that of the supercharger.

The rhino has been whining lately about having a hot butt. :)

Jim G

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hot Butt

Jim,

I believe that both of the solutions that you have posted could provide immediate relief for the Rhino. Although I believe that the louvered hood would be better than a 100% duty cycle fan. Obviously the louvered hood would allow for a quick pressure wash to alleviate the dung situation when all the fan would do is spread it around :lol

My Best,

Rob

·
OP
8,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oops

Now look at what I've started :rolleyes:
Note to self: Do not interject humor or sacasm into "technical threads" :leaving ;)

·
Registered
189 Posts
ampmop said:
Now look at what I've started :rolleyes:
Note to self: Do not interject humor or sacasm into "technical threads" :leaving ;)
hee hee :lol :lol :lol :lol

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
The rhino is deeply offended by the reference to his personal bathroom habits. :)

He respectfully points out that his own maximum time between rest stops is longer than that of most drivers, and that he would never crap in the vehicle that propels him down the road so much faster than he can run himself, and that raises his sex appeal quotient with the lady rhinos by so much! :)

However, he admits to passing gas when we blow by those obnoxious, overly self-inflated RAMs with hemis. :lol

Jim G

·
Registered
189 Posts
JimGnitecki said:
The rhino is deeply offended by the reference to his personal bathroom habits. :)

He respectfully points out that his own maximum time between rest stops is longer than that of most drivers, and that he would never crap in the vehicle that propels him down the road so much faster than he can run himself, and that raises his sex appeal quotient with the lady rhinos by so much! :)

However, he admits to passing gas when we blow by those obnoxious, overly self-inflated RAMs with hemis. :lol

Jim G
Jim,

Please pass my deepest apologies to the Rhino, I am both embarassed and ashamed by my behavior. However, I was under the impression that the Rhino selected the SSR as the "vehicle to propel him down the road faster than he can run himself" based on the fact that it boasted quite a payload, "load" being the operative word in the only truck bed worthy of hauling his load :lol Show me a Dodge Ram with a carpeted and lighted bed.... hee hee :lol

Respectfully,

Rob

·
OP
8,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Omg

"off on a tangent" is the operative phrase here. :willy:

There's no end in sight, is there? Well we will just have to wait until Marc closes this thread as well. :)

Seriously, (yeh, like that's even possible now...) another reason to love this site is how this thread has developed.
Hang loose guys...and gals???

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
tangents

Great to have some fun back !!!! :party I learn a lot from you guys and there's no better medicine than a good laugh. THANKS :cheers

·
Premium Member
9,472 Posts
I'm looking forward to one of Jim's detailed technical reports of what happens when the Rhinos's s__t hits the fan.

Ray

·
OP
8,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
FINE! I'll join in again.

:nodno
What I like about JimG is that if you ask him what time it is, he'll explain how to build the clock :lol

ALL IN FUN JimG :thumbs

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,782 Posts
'bout time to give that Rhino a name, isn't it?? Can't just keep calling him (her) it.

P/P

Peace :flag

1 - 20 of 35 Posts