Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Dash light in my fan switch has burned out. The SSR HVAC controls look like a sealed unit. Is there a way to replace the bulb in my fan switch? Thanks for any assistance. :frown2::ssr

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,260 Posts
Yes, the unit can be taken apart and bulbs replaced. The bulbs are peanut or wheat style that are mounted in a 1/4 turn plastic base. They look similar to the attached picture.

You might be able to buy and replace with a shorter unit but if you want to keep the tall base to keep the lighting similar I would keep the OEM base and just replace the bulb since it looks like the wire legs are just wrapped around the base and not soldered. I have a few bulbs laying around here that would work. You could send me the bad bulb with base or the entire unit and I could repair it for you.

This part number is very close in size and should work fine - DNW21-DW10/GRA/30MM
http://www.bulbtown.com/DNW21_DW10_GRA_30MM_T_1_1_4_Neo_Wedge_PCB_Lamp_14V_p/dnw21-dw10-gra-30mm.htm

Also, http://www.autolumination.com/automotive-light-bulbs/gauges-instrument-panel/neowedge_dnw1_ew33.htm should be fine as well. This one rated slightly brighter but I am unsure as to what the OEM output is so it is a gamble either way on matching existing bulbs.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,058 Posts
There is no reason to disassemble the unit to replace the bulbs......

Looking at the second photo that Dick provided, you can see that there is a slot for a small flat blade screwdriver on the back of each bulb stalk. Those are accessible in the three indents in the rear cover, as shown in the first photo. It takes 1/8 turn CCW to remove the stalk and bulb as a unit. You can then replace the bulb in the stalk and re-insert it, or you can replace the stalk as a complete part. Drop the new one in the hole and put it in place with a 1/8 turn CW......

The hardest part is getting the unit out of the dash.

My two cents,

Mike

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is no reason to disassemble the unit to replace the bulbs......

Looking at the second photo that Dick provided, you can see that there is a slot for a small flat blade screwdriver on the back of each bulb stalk. Those are accessible in the three indents in the rear cover, as shown in the first photo. It takes 1/8 turn CCW to remove the stalk and bulb as a unit. You can then replace the bulb in the stalk and re-insert it, or you can replace the stalk as a complete part. Drop the new one in the hole and put it in place with a 1/8 turn CW......

The hardest part is getting the unit out of the dash.

My two cents,

Mike
Thanks for the quick reply and the information on the fan switch bulb. Replacement looks pretty easy once the control unit is removed from the vehicle. To remove the control unit, do I need to remove the top section of the dash and radio, or can I access the unit from below (removing the lower 3 gauge cluster & ash tray)? I believe there are two or three screws that hold it in place that are visible when the aluminum trim strip is removed. Thanks again for your time and assistance. Jim F

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, the unit can be taken apart and bulbs replaced. The bulbs are peanut or wheat style that are mounted in a 1/4 turn plastic base. They look similar to the attached picture.

You might be able to buy and replace with a shorter unit but if you want to keep the tall base to keep the lighting similar I would keep the OEM base and just replace the bulb since it looks like the wire legs are just wrapped around the base and not soldered. I have a few bulbs laying around here that would work. You could send me the bad bulb with base or the entire unit and I could repair it for you.

This part number is very close in size and should work fine - DNW21-DW10/GRA/30MM
DNW21-DW10/GRA/30MM, #DNW21-DW10/GRA/30MM, JKL#DNW21-DW10/GRA/30MM

Also, DNW1-EW33 Clear Glass Bulb should be fine as well. This one rated slightly brighter but I am unsure as to what the OEM output is so it is a gamble either way on matching existing bulbs.
Thank you for the quick response and the information. Bulb replacement looks pretty straight forward once the HVAC Control Unit has been removed from the vehicle. I believe the control unit is held in place by two or three screws behind the aluminum trim strip. To remove the unit from the vehicle, do I need to remove the radio (involves removing the dash), or can I access the unit from below after removing the lower aux gauges and ash tray? Thanks again for your time and assistance. Jim F

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,641 Posts
Thank you for the quick response and the information. Bulb replacement looks pretty straight forward once the HVAC Control Unit has been removed from the vehicle. I believe the control unit is held in place by two or three screws behind the aluminum trim strip. To remove the unit from the vehicle, do I need to remove the radio (involves removing the dash), or can I access the unit from below after removing the lower aux gauges and ash tray? Thanks again for your time and assistance. Jim F
Suggest you read SSR HOW TO LIBRARY!

It's all there.

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5

Dicktator

·
Daily Driver
8,940 Posts
Maybe you should have it done via the professionals.
What professionals? It's hard enough finding anyone who even knows what an SSR is no less how to fix anything.

If you have an American Express Platinum unlimited card, you can try a Chevy dealer, who after you explain yes it's a Chevy, will start replacing units until they tell you the unit you need has been discontinued, sorry that will be $1000 for looking.

That's what the Fanatics is about, keeping upgrades and repairs possible and reasonably priced, after we've become orphaned.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,260 Posts
Do not need to take radio out but I think you will need to take the front of the dash off and lower the bottom part enough to pull it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts