Chevy SSR Forum banner

Fan upgrade.

5K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Pat LeBlanc 
#1 ·
Well got my first permagrin tonight. First ride with my top down. After working on it since I got it. It was cool tonight with the top down so no a/c on. And my grin went away looked down and noticed it was running a little warm for the first time. most of the time it's below the 210 mark. Had to stop at several red lights and it got up to 220 to 230. Now I not happy again.

#3 ·
Mine shows 230 sometimes but it's because of bad stepper motor. (I'll get it fixed at some point). But, yes, turning on the a/c will force the radiator fan to kick on.

All that said, if you don't have stepper motor issues and you running 230 on a cool evening, something ain't right. Just turning on the A/C to kick the fan on is putting a band aid on something else.

#4 ·
Common problem with the SSR. The original fans are inadequate. simple-engineering.com offers a replacement for a reasonable price which is far better than the original. Not the most difficult of tasks to install. I saw Mike in AZ change one at the international rally last year in 4.5 minutes.

#5 ·
Agree that Mike's fans are good upgrade. However running 230 on a cool evening is likely an indication of something else. Perhaps the fan isn't working at all?? I run mine in stop and go traffic in New Mexico 90 degree plus heat with a totally stock cooling system. It will rarely get up to 220 in the worst conditions.

#6 ·
Running at 225-230 in stop-and-go traffic in the evening with the AC off is NOT cause for alarm. It is within normal operating limits. Here’s why........

There are two software circuits in the computer that control the cooling fan.

With the AC turned off, the water temp is the only circuit in play...... Low speed fan will turn on at 226 and go off when the temp drops to 219. High speed fan comes on at 235 and turns back to low speed when the temp reaches 226.

When you turn on the AC, the computer will turn the fan onto low speed when the high side pressure reaches “normal” system pressure. If it is a really hot day and the head pressure is rather elevated, the computer may switch the fan to high speed in order to move more air across the condenser.

After you put this info into your brain, you may find that the system is working as designed..... even though you don’t like the numbers you are seeing.

With all the above values in mind, you also need to remember that the computer turns the main fan OFF at 35mph.... regardless of water temperature or AC system pressure.

This is why I tell all owners to get to know the “normal” temperature your truck runs at when cruising on the highway. Most should see 195-200........ put that “normal” temperature in your memory and guard it. When you find that your truck is running above “normal” on the highway, you have something amiss with the system, NOT the cooling fan. If your temperatures get elevated below 35mph, you need to look closely for an airflow issue. Usually because the fan is not running.

Hope this helps,

Mike

#7 ·
As stated before a common problem next time your out driving and you see the temp. rise pull over and see if the fan actually turns on when your parked with engine running. If not shut it off and give the fan housing a couple taps with a hammer sometimes they bind up. From your post looks like you just got your truck and are getting everything straightened out with roof, abs heat shield, shift linkage, etc. everyone who drives their trucks has gone thru this so don't feel like your the only one, enjoy the ride. Mikes replacement fan seems a little expensive but it's cheaper then an OEM replacement and does 100% better job. Enjoy your ride and try to make a few rallies there a lot of fun.

#8 ·
This is probably more for Mike in AZ than others, but maybe not. For years I've been told when you are showing an overheating problem you should turn on your
heater blower motor to reduce the temperature. Is this something that is still helpful with the SSR's? A temperary fix but helpful? WSK - LAZY ONE

#12 ·
Be like Mike

Check and see if your fan is running when your vehicle temp goes up. I had the same problem and it was working, but not all of the time.

OEM fans tend to fail. If your R temp runs high at low speed and OK on the highway, it quite probably could be a faulty fan as Mike says. I had that problem from the day I purchased my SSR. I replaced the OEM with Mike's fan with a shroud. This stopped the problem. I also had my '05 tuned and the "normal" temp change was part of the tune. Again, I have the 6.0 not the 5.3 so YMMV on the tune.

These two things would be worth your time and money IMO. Neither is hard to do.

Dave

#14 ·
High Running Temp

Some good recent information on a similar condition here:

https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/running-hot-232066/

If neither the thermostat nor pressure cap have been replaced in your truck, I'd recommend replacing both. Both are easy to do and will remove known issues with these parts that deteriorate with age and mileage (seals in the pressure cap and thermostat). Also, ensure the pressure cap is seated properly when installed. It's easy to thread the cap on "crooked" and believe it is tight when it actually is not.

#17 ·
I would say YES you should be concerned. You should be checking to make sure the fan is running when you are backing into the garage and make sure you have an air dam under the radiator support, at least. If both of those criteria are met then how are you doing on temp with out the boat and all other circumstances the same? What is the weight of the boat?

#16 ·
When I had the tune put in mine,he changed the perametors on the temps that the fan comes on.He said they were way to high. Now in stop and go mine never gets over 210. Before the tne it was 220+.Maybe look into that also. The tune alone is well worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.