Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get so many PM's from guys that struggle with their computer and the site.
Most of us are in the 60/70 age group, and many of the Fanatics are not computer geniuses
I include myself - almost everything I know about computers I attribute to my time on SSRFanatic over the past 10 years.

For me, as a former realtor, I knew how to do everything regarding my documents etc and I am pretty good at negotiating SSRFanatic.
But, what gets weird is when I visit another auto forum - I find it hard to negotiate, so I commiserate with our members that have a problem with SSRFanatic

My advice on that is, just keep going - it will become more clear over time!

Something I wanted to mention about computers and to a lot of you that are not that computer savvy.
Mine was lagging - I would hit post, wait and impatiently hit post again
My impatience resulted in posting twice and I had to delete one - my computer was running way too slow.

Heat in the CPU is often the problem
If you don't have it, download "Speccy" - it will show an overview of your computer
My CPU was operating in the "Red Zone"

My office has hardwood floors, so a lot of dust bunnies find their way into the computer fans
I decided to move the CPU onto my desk to help resolve that issue
I took the side panel off - didn't look too bad, but I (carefully) vacuumed it out.
I also cleaned all the dust off my desk that accumulates easily
After I had the desk cleanup done I figured I should take my brother's advice and use a "low volume" air compressor on it, making sure to keep a finger on the fan blades to keep them from spinning too fast.
What I thought was clean was far from it! Had to do another clean on the desk

As a result of the cleanup, the heat in my CPU went from red zone to green
For the rest of you guys that didn't grow up in the computer era, every once in a while, give your computer a blow.
It might solve some of the issues you attribute to the forum
Just like your SSR, your computer needs some annual attention as well - it will save you some grief in the long haul

·
Registered
305 Posts
That is good advice, I can tell you that.
I also know that the small
compressed air in a can
is safer for your computer than a vacuum of any strength.

On the other side of the spectrum,
Just tacking on a slightly related question,
How many Fanatics have made the jump to smartphones?

Personally I've only ever been on the site on my smartphone, so I don't know what the desktop forum looks like.
I'd just like to know if anyone else here uses a smartphone semi- frequently.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Your right CASH some of us do need anal attention. OH wait, you said annual attention. Sorry for the mix-up. But then . . . . WSK

·
Super Moderator
14,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is good advice, I can tell you that.
I also know that the small compressed air in a can is safer for your computer than a vacuum of any strength/QUOTE]

Thanks for the note
I am not professing to be the guy that knows how to do this - just saying we should look after them
I was just very careful - compressed air in a can sounds great - just not sure I have ever seen compressed air in a can available where I live
Being careful I think is the key, both vacuum and air

After reading your advice on learning the website I feel better thanks for the encouragement we'll stick with it
It took me a long time Billy, but patience and diligence is the key
I understood early I was a huge fan of the SSR - this site was my way of communicating with my truck (other than saying Hi as I walked by)
You are a new member - hang in and you have a wealth of information available to you

Your right CASH some of us do need anal attention. OH wait, you said annual attention. Sorry for the mix-up. But then . . . . WSK
The computer needs annual - I still can't get myself around having that anal attention detailed
I have other tests done - just hoping that works!

·
Spirited driver!
1,658 Posts
On the other side of the spectrum,
Just tacking on a slightly related question,
How many Fanatics have made the jump to smartphones?

Personally I've only ever been on the site on my smartphone, so I don't know what the desktop forum looks like.
I'd just like to know if anyone else here uses a smartphone semi- frequently.
There is a good mix here from what I have seen. The majority are using desktop PC's but there are some Macs, iPads, other tablets and smartphones being used. Each has it's own advantages/challenges. Some of us access a via a few of these options depending on where we are that day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts