Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060227/NEWS03/602270355/1001/NEWS

Grateful enthusiasts tour SSR plant
Midday

By Barbara Wieland
Lansing State Journal

Fans of the Chevrolet SSR from as far away as Arizona and New York are visiting Lansing this week to tour the factory that made their favorite sports truck before the plant is idled next month.

The enthusiasts, members of the Web site ssrfanatic.com, want to thank the 400 workers at General Motors Corp.'s Lansing Craft Centre plant for building the SSR, which went into production in 2003. One group of about 18 enthusiasts toured the plant this morning, and another group of 14 will be in town Thursday for a tour.

The last SSR is scheduled to roll off the assembly line on or around March 17.

Advertisement

The fans' visit included a tour of the assembly plant and a chance to meet some of the people who work on the line.

For Sterling Heights resident Debbie Cook, the tour was an emotional time.

"When I was coming through the line, a woman waved at me and said, 'Thank you for your support,' " Cook said. "I teared up at that point."

Read more about this story in Tuesday's State Journal.

·
Registered
599 Posts
It was nice to put names with faces. I couldn't believe the amount of snow we hit on the way there. At one point it was a near white-out. What normally takes us 1 1/4 hours to drive took 3 hours today. I am glad we didn't turn around.
I enjoyed the tour, and was very touched by the sincerity of the workers as they all nodded or stopped to say thanks. it was nice to see what a great bunch of people they are. It is a shame that in a few weeks they will all be looking for other jobs. Congratulations to Mike in az for winning the quiz.
At the end of the tour they gave us each a slip of paper and asked a question.
Today's question was (not the same one for Thursday) what was the highest price for the sale of an SSR without going above the price. Mike guessed closest without going over at $135,000. It was $137,000 and it was for the auction to raise funds for the Heinz Prechter foundation held by the SAE.
Mike won a nice framed picture of an SSR with The American Revolution on top. Since he would have to lug it on board, They offered to send it back.

Each of us got an autographed engine cover........Just kidding....We did however get a cloth tote bag with a pictue, a book, a small diecast car, and a license plate bracket.
Debbie won the award for not having to duck down under the SSR on the hoist.
Sorry Sebbie, I think you kind of expected that from me..L.O.L.

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,830 Posts

Glad it worked out for everyone. Let's here some more good news storys.

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
LCC Tour

Mike and I have much to tell all of you. However, I still need to focus on the March 2nd tour. I will be adding as much info to this thread as time will allow.

We all received a very warm welcoming visit to the LCC today. The tour was very well planned out and I felt that the time spent organizing it was a true sign that we were more than welcomed at this somber time. I have a lot of information that I will be sharing with all of you shortly. I need to review my notes before I post any incorrect information.

First off I need to thank Robert at GM for his dedication in making this happen for us. Robert went that extra mile for us and it showed through out the plant.

I do not want to give out to much information right now as the March 2nd tour is not completed yet. The surprises we received today were under no way expected. We went there to thank them and yet somehow they thanked us again.

I do know that the article in the Lansing State Journal was an emotional send off for the entire staff and employee’s at the LCC. Upon entering the conference room…there in a projection screen, larger then life was the SSR Fanatic Thank You ad.

More to come…..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Great times, wish I could have pulled the time off to go myself...To those that are going please express our thanks from all that could not make it in person...these folks have been building a great and important piece of American automotive history...Those that have the privlage of owning one, understand what a great vehicle this really is. We are sorry to see it end.
:agree :yesnod :party

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,648 Posts
Wow so nice to hear all this...

hotrodgirl said:
Mike and I have much to tell all of you. However, I still need to focus on the March 2nd tour. I will be adding as much info to this thread as time will allow.

...I do know that the article in the Lansing State Journal was an emotional send off for the entire staff and employee’s at the LCC. Upon entering the conference room…there in a projection screen, larger then life was the SSR Fanatic Thank You ad.

More to come…..
I am holding back a lot of my emotion as I read how wonderful our group had been received ... god this is very very hard thing to do ... I will do my best to be there on March 17th. for the final fairwell.. :cry

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
SMKN04SSR said:
Great times, wish I could have pulled the time off to go myself...To those that are going please express our thanks from all that could not make it in person...these folks have been building a great and important piece of American automotive history...Those that have the privlage of owning one, understand what a great vehicle this really is. We are sorry to see it end.
:agree :agree :agree

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Lucky Me

doogie48084 said:
Debbie won the award for not having to duck down under the SSR on the hoist.
Sorry Debbie, I think you kind of expected that from me..L.O.L.
Doug......I laughed so hard when I read this.:glol :glol

But LUCKY ME....when I purchased my SSR. I never did get to see the underbodyment of my SSR. For the first time in my life it paid to be short.

I had a full view of the underbodyment without even straining my neck.:lol :lol

I did have a good laugh watching all of you straining to see.:glol :glol

·
Registered
153 Posts
SMKN04SSR said:
:agree :agree :agree I wish I could take the time; But I have a SSR to pay off
A Big Thanks to all of the people who made my Mo-Dean possible.

PocoToro:seeya

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Tid Bits

Some info I can share with you....

Redline Red's are no longer included in the last production run. (I saw only one red not completed SSR in the corner of the facilty)

We were able to see the Final SSR Production Badge on the Waterfal Areas of many of the SSR's at the end of the assembly line.

SSR colors on the line were....Pacific Blues, Silver and Smokin Asphalt's. Serveral two-toned mostly Black/Silver or Silver/Black.

We were told....

The last SSR will go to the GM Heritage Museum, Sterling Heights MI

The second from last will be auctioned off to the dealerships.

One will be raffled off to the LCC employees

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I'm Back Despite The Weather

Well I made it to the LCC and back unscathed despite the bad weather going. Coming from Chicago the weather was fine until I hit Paw Paw Michigan, at which point mother nature commenced to wreak havoc on the highway (I94 & I96). Saw about nine accidents on the way due to the snow; three of them roll overs. A lady in a jeep going too fast for conditions almost hit me from behind. The only thing that saved me was the left shoulder of the road where she was smart enough to do her sliding. About forty miles from the LCC it started to clear up and the traffic became very sparse and I was able to continue my 80 mph cruise control setting. I arrived about ten minutes late; which wasn't bad considering the weather and the fact I forgot that Michigan is in a different time zone than Illinois.

Needless to say I really enjoyed the LCC tour and it was great to meat a few of the SSRFanatic members. I would love to describe the tour but I just don't have the words at this time. At lunch some of the workers were having a small party for one of the guys retiring. Just so happens they said he was the guy responsible for all of the leaks. I guess they ment he worked on our tops. or the weather stripping around the top.

I would like to say something about the colors but I'll just wait until the other group completes their tour.

When I arrived at the LLC my 06 Black Tie looked like it was painted gun metal gray from the snow and ice on it. There was no smile on it's grill. Couldn't even see my license plate front or back.

When I came out from the tour the sun was coming out and all of the snow and I on my Garage Queen had melted. Of course all of the way home was just a pleasure. The sun shined all of the way home back to Chicago (and it was even sunny in Chi Town).

I'll have to show some pictures to give you an idea how filthy my baby was and how Glazed it is now. The first thing I did when I got back was go to the BP with the no brush wash. Once that was done I put it in the garage and wiped it off. As I've said before I'm a Zaino man but I bought one of those Meguiar Bual Action buffers I bought at a custom auto show about a month ago. It does a fantastic job and it's not difficult to use. I'll still have to try it soon using my Zaino products. I know it wiped off so easy with my microfiber cloths and with the Meguiar finish I had already put on it ( took only about twenty minutes).

So much to say just so little time and so few words. I just wish I could have gotten to spend more time talking to some of the people on the line.

It's been a great day and a day I'll always remember.

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug​

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
Thanks for sharing

Most of us out here in Fanatic land couldn't arrange to make it. Its nice to hear from those who did, it is a very special vehicle, make sure they know that all 3000 of us appreciate it!!!!

Owning a piece of history is nice, saying thanks to those who made it happen is something else altogether.
For the March 2nd tour, can someone present all the "JimG" posts and SSR book to them , I'd like to see him named honorary PPE (post production engineer).

Big Props from the South!

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Well since it's been mentioned about the colors I guess I can mention that I saw no Slingshots being made at the time and no Redlines; but I did see three new ones on car haulers going to dealers. There was a redline on one truck and then a Slingshot and Redline on another truck, Saw a lot of two tones on the line. They even had some different combinations that were not out there when I got my 06. Saw a Silver over Aqua Blur that really looked sharp. The line was just loaded with Silver over Black and Black over Silver.

If I didn't know better I could've sworn I saw my 06 Black Tie being made over and over and over.

Also as stated in a previous post the primer or under coat or what ever they call it is the same color as that of the vehicle. They said that yellow is the heaviest color and that the paint on the vehicles is about 4.5 mils thick. The guy took out a pack of smokes and folded the outside cellophane and said that was about how thick the paint was on the vehicle.

I could just go on and on but my fingers are starting to hurt and I type with all ten fingers.

Once agian it was great.

:willy: :willy: :willy:​

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
doogie48084 said:
Each of us got an autographed engine cover.
I wonder if that is better then each of us getting a "full set of wheels" when we went for the Homecoming?

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,187 Posts
A very impressive day

I have to admit that I was very humbled by the reception we got at the LCC today. The attached photo was the poster in the Security Building where we signed in. I captured that before I had to take my camera back to the car.

It was evident that they were prepared for us. There were several people who addressed us and took us on the walking tour of the production facility. Focus on safety for both the personnel and the product is obvious throughout the plant.

Special thanks to Rick Heithaus and Dan Fairbanks for taking the time out of their busy day to spend some with us.

The production facility is complex and compact in a "just-the-right-size" building. Obviously a very well planned-out process. Parts flowed smoothly around us as we walked through the various separate areas of assembly. We were lucky enough to get close to finished product several times and filled my nostrils with the "new car smell".

Here are the only photos I got from the day. You can see the weather......

Mike

Attachments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts