Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Banned
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Farewell SSR...? Its Official

The Lansing Craft Center will indeed be closed at the end of the 2006 model year. It looks like the SSr is Done... :mad .. :ssr

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I said this in a previous post that 06 would probably be the last year for the SSR and the Lansing Craft Center. GM is going to reduce there work force by 25000 by the year 2008. So how does this effect the price and sale of the SSR if it's the last year. Is the price going down or up? Will people want it or figure a vehicle that will no longer be in production is a no no?

·
Registered
57 Posts
So if they close the lansing center, is it definate that the SSR is dead? can the move they production to another area?

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Here is part of the Chicago Tribune Article.

"DETROIT -- General Motors Corp. will eliminate 30,000 manufacturing jobs and close nine North American assembly, stamping and powertrain plants by 2008 as part of an effort to get production in line with demand.

The announcement Monday by Rick Wagoner, chairman and CEO of the world's largest automaker, represents 5,000 more job cuts than the 25,000 that the automaker automaker had previously indicated it planned to cut.

GM said the plants that will close are in Oklahoma City, Lansing, Mich., Spring Hill, Tenn., Doraville, Ga., and Ontario, Canada.

Wagoner said GM also will close three service and parts operations facilities."

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
crogan said:
So if they close the lansing center, is it definate that the SSR is dead? can the move they production to another area?
GM won't move production to anopther plant: too $$$ - the SSR's days are numbered. Will the 2006 model production totals be more than the 2003's???

·
Registered
416 Posts
crogan said:
So when the the GM chief said it was a halo vehicle and it is important to gm, was that just all lies?
Nah, it's just that the financial survival of the company is more important than the symbolism of a (poorly selling) halo vehicle.

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Ummm - NO.

The SSR did what they wanted - to have folks look at Chevrolet - and the OTHER new products. I think that the SSR is a big reason the HHR is selling so well. I don't know how many people I talked to that said they just couldn't afford a SSR, but loved the styling - I betcha those folks are buying the HHR!

GM/Chevy knew they wouldn't make money on the SSR - but rather wanted to stir up some interest - job done...

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Loss Of Jobs

While I am pleased that I have an SSR already. I am extremely upset over the loss of jobs for those workers. MI can't afford anymore on the unemployment line. My heart breaks for those who won't have a job!!!!

L

·
0 Posts
GM said this morning that it's closing the Lansing Craft Centre, where the SSR is made. Looks like this is the end of the line for the SSR. I'm a reporter working on stories about this announcement and I'd like to hear from some people with strong opinions about the vehicle. If you're interested, please give me a call at 800-433-6946 and ask for Barbara at x1348.

Barbara Wieland
Lansing State Journal

·
Registered
217 Posts
kwhopper89 said:
Ummm - NO.

The SSR did what they wanted - to have folks look at Chevrolet - and the OTHER new products. I think that the SSR is a big reason the HHR is selling so well. I don't know how many people I talked to that said they just couldn't afford a SSR, but loved the styling - I betcha those folks are buying the HHR!

GM/Chevy knew they wouldn't make money on the SSR - but rather wanted to stir up some interest - job done...
Well, I do like my SSR, but with all the problems I have had with mine, I don't think I'd buy another GM for quite a while. They will never sell 100,000 HHR's. No way! A $20,000 HHR has shoes on the back. My CR-V has disk. Come on! GM's motto - spend a nickle save a dollar - caught up with them. Good old corparation mentality.

I think GM has a big QA problem and that's been emphasized with the SSR. Mine leaked the first time it rained after driving it off the lot, and since then I've had many of the other problems reported - broken door handles, drive line tink - all this in a vehicle that has 5,000 miles on it.

This site's been good for information about the leak and other problems.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Impact on future service and parts availability?

There's been quite a bit of speculation regarding how the end of the model line might affect future market values of the SSR as a potential collectors item. However for the rest of us driving our SSRs as everyday vehicles, I wonder how today's announcement might affect future service with fewer mechanics familiar with the SSR available as well as spare parts much more expensive and harder to find.

·
Registered
442 Posts
price changes?

Interesting to read the discussion about what will happen to the prices of SSRs, used and new. I look back at what happened to the Prowlers after a similarly disappointing production run and I believe things look better for me, someone that has not yet bought his SSR, than it does for ya'll that have them already. The key to happiness here is simple. Resale means nothing unless you sell and from what I have read here, there is not much reason to sell your SSRs other than to get a new one.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Sorry to see it closed down, but DAMN happy I invested in one! I still think it is an awesome vehicle, and as time goes by, I can be content to know I bought one when I did.

If GM can't or won't keep the production side of things going, I say it is their lose, not ours.

So that said, I look forward to a gathering next Summer, wherever it is! :thumbs

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I have loved this vehicle since first hearing about it and am more than happy with my 03 Black. I plan on keeping it until the day I die. It is the turn key hot rod from the factory as promised and I would not be surprised to seem the resurect it at a later date when finances are in order. Then again, it should grow in value if they don't, but that really is not a concern for me. I plan on having a lot of fun with it for a very long time. These babies will be irreplacable.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Agree---Agree

cruzned said:
I have loved this vehicle since first hearing about it and am more than happy with my 03 Black. I plan on keeping it until the day I die. It is the turn key hot rod from the factory as promised and I would not be surprised to seem the resurect it at a later date when finances are in order. Then again, it should grow in value if they don't, but that really is not a concern for me. I plan on having a lot of fun with it for a very long time. These babies will be irreplacable.

****I agree wholeheartedly :agree :agree :agree :agree :seeya

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,596 Posts
Never again Made in the USA?

BigAlkin said:
Well with all the problem I have had with my SSR and I do like it I will not buy another AMERICAN MADE CAR/TRUCK! PS GM will never sell 100,000 HHR's No way!
I am sorry to hear you say that... I believe you will miss out in some outstanding GM vehicles along with their new products that are getting some great reviews coming out very soon.

As for GM not selling 100,000 HHRs I believe you will find that you might be wee bit premature on your assumptions. You also assume a low volume vehicle reflects GM's full product line quality; you only have to look at J.D. Powers. Many of GM’s Assembly plants are leaders in initial quality in North America.

To imply that you will never look at or buy another American Made car or truck because of the SSR, to me seems a little bit bias or short sighted on your part. (I just noticed you edited your previous comments. I am happy to hear you might reconsider buying American Made in the future) :thumbs

Just my .02
LansingReporter said:
GM said this morning that it's closing the Lansing Craft Centre, where the SSR is made. Looks like this is the end of the line for the SSR. I'm a reporter working on stories about this announcement and I'd like to hear from some people with strong opinions about the vehicle. If you're interested, please give me a call at 800-433-6946 and ask for Barbara at x1348.

Barbara Wieland
Lansing State Journal
I just spoke to Barbara and she said she had a ton of calls coming in ... off of our site that is. :thumbs This SSR story is suppose to be published tomorrow. Please keep a look out for it in Michigan. If you find it please post the website if it is indeed on line.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
When my husband was in the Navy, we lived in Japan, and several other countries. While overseas, we both decided no more imports for us. American vehicles were better by far. Now, many years later, I still feel the same way...Our manufacturers have been squeezed unmercifully by import export problems. We now import so much more than we can export and as a result the quality of everything we purchase is effected. I long for American made quality, but it is rapidly becoming a thing of the past as American manufacturers try to keep up with cheap imports by lowering their standards and we as a country accept inferior products. We are being cheated out of quality products, good jobs, and the sense of pride in a job well done. I'm sorry to see the SSR go, but we can only blame ourselves for NOT BUYING AMERICAN PRODUCTS IN THE FIRST PLACE. Just my opinion....

1 - 20 of 89 Posts