Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bad News... pic at: http://www.themonitor.com/SiteProcessor.cfm?Template=/GlobalTemplates/Details.cfm&StoryID=9585&Section=Valley

Fatality in Pharr

PHARR — A three-car collision on Jackson Road left one twenty-something man dead Monday night, and three other adults had to be transported to area hospitals for injuries.

Fred Arellano and Victor Olayo, who both work at Champion Seed — a business on Jackson Road about 200 feet from where the crash occurred near Upas Avenue — said they were working on the computer in a back room about 8 p.m. when they heard the collision.

"We ran out there," Arellano said. "We came back immediately for fire extinguishers."

The two men said that they and motorcycle rider Joe Morales, were concerned with the flames coming from the engine of the mangled Chevrolet SSR pickup truck involved in the accident.

"I didn’t even see him," Arellano said of the dead man’s body in the driver’s seat of the red truck. "Then I looked up, and there he was."

Pharr police officers arrived at the scene quickly, the pair said as they looked on at the flashing lights and the blue body bag lying next to the truck. They still carried their fire extinguishers.

Pharr police officers at the scene said it appeared as though the red truck had been traveling northbound on Jackson Road, and a Time Warner Cable utility truck was driving south. The red truck attempted a left turn in front of the oncoming utility truck. The utility vehicle then T-boned the red pickup truck, and the collision sideswiped another vehicle, a dark-colored sedan, police said.

Arellano and Olayo said they heard a different version of how the accident happened from the driver of the Time Warner Cable utility truck, who was injured in the wreck, but was able to talk to the seed distributors before he was transported to the hospital.

The cable man said the SSR truck and the dark sedan were drag racing and hit each other, Olayo said. Then, the red pickup veered into oncoming traffic.

However the accident panned out, Morales said he is happy he received a phone call minutes before the accident.

Morales was riding his motorcycle to his gym when he got a phone call. He pulled over on the side of the road to take the call, and the crash happened seconds after he started his bike back up. He said he couldn’t tell how the wreck happened because he was still a few blocks away, but "I’m glad I stopped," he said. "I would have just passed them, or I don’t know …"

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Terrible tragedy. I wish we could get these kids(young people) to understand that racing is serious and dangerous and should be kept off the streets. Must have been going very fast too!

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Bummer, my thoughts and prayers to the SSR Driver's Family.

RickSSR :cool

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I find it disturbing that any person would make humor of such a terrible tradgedy that involved the death of others. The drivers made poor judgments and were completely irresponsible. :mad

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,065 Posts
I think we all share the same sinking feeling in the pit of our stomachs when we see this type of senseless loss of life. My son's best friend was buried this summer after a single car accident on a Saturday nite. He was like a son to us. Vehicles are replaceable, the lives are not.

I'd appreciate a name and address of the victim's family, if someone comes across it.

Mike

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No cause yet determined in deadly vehicle collision

PHARR — Police still have not determined who caused the three-vehicle accident on Jackson Road that left one local man dead Monday night and three others injured.

The driver of a red Chevrolet pickup, Tomas Cabrera, 27, was pronounced dead at the scene, near the intersection of Jackson and Upas Avenue. Cabrera was headed north on Jackson Road when he collided with a dark colored sedan and a Time Warner Cable utility truck.

The driver of the red truck attempted a left turn in front of the oncoming utility truck, which was headed south, police said. The utility vehicle T-boned the red pickup truck, and the collision sideswiped the sedan.

"The way it looks the red truck caused the collision," said Pharr police spokesman Lt. Lupe Salinas. "But we have to make sure before making that determination."

Salinas could not confirm whether alcohol or drugs was a factor in the accident, pending autopsy results. Investigators took witness statements and are piecing information together, he said. Salinas did not know if any of the drivers or passengers involved were wearing seatbelts.

The driver of the sedan, Maricela Hernandez, 34, said the red truck was traveling faster than the speed limit when the collision occured. Hernandez, who is nine weeks pregnant, was taken to a local hospital and treated and released. Despite what one witness told The Monitor, she said she was not drag racing.
A passenger riding in the red truck, 25-year-old Louis Omar Elizondo, has been transported to Brooks Army Medical Center in San Antonio.

Attachments

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Hopefully the witness/passenger can tell the police something!!! I agree a left hand turn should have caused damage to the Passenger side. Looks a little more head on to me. especially when you look at the photo on the newspaper link!

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
mikem-2005 said:
I think we all share the same sinking feeling in the pit of our stomachs when we see this type of senseless loss of life. My son's best friend was buried this summer after a single car accident on a Saturday nite. He was like a son to us. Vehicles are replaceable, the lives are not.

I'd appreciate a name and address of the victim's family, if someone comes across it.

Mike

Maybe these people can help you at least find out the name of the Funeral Home

Miriam Ramirez covers law enforcement and general assignments for The Monitor. You can reach her at (956) 683-4441.

———

Cari Hammerstrom covers law enforcement and general assignments for The Monitor. You can reach her at (956) 683-4424.

·
Registered
413 Posts
i wonder if this is the same ssr Sorry picture wouldnt load

·
Registered
740 Posts
cruzned said:
I find it disturbing that any person would make humor of such a terrible tradgedy that involved the death of others. The drivers made poor judgments and were completely irresponsible. :mad
Sorry! I forgot there were normal people on this board! :(

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OBITUARIES
October 13,2005
The Monitor
http://www.themonitor.com/SiteProcessor.cfm?Template=/GlobalTemplates/Details.cfm&StoryID=9617&Section=Obituaries

TOMAS CABRERRA JR.

McALLEN — Tomas Cabrerra Jr., 27, died Monday, Oct. 10, 2005, in Pharr.

Born in McAllen, Tomas was formerly from San Juan and had lived in McAllen for three years.

He is survived by two children, JJ Cabrerra and Destiny Cabrerra; his mother, Rosa Maria Gonzalez; his father, Tomas Vaquera Sr.; four brothers, Johnny, Saragosa, Joey and Andy; five sisters, Mary, Sara, Julie, Jennifer and Rosie.

A rosary was Wednesday, Oct. 12, 2005, at Memorial Funeral Home in San Juan. Funeral service will be 2 p.m., today, Oct. 13, 2005, at St. Margaret’s Catholic Church in Pharr. Interment will follow at San Juan Cemetery.

Funeral services are under the direction of Memorial Funeral Home in San Juan.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts