Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,482 Posts
Not sure I ever had "cowl shake" in any of the Rs we've owned.
The stiff suspension, even on our '08 TBSS, will rattle your teeth on the rubbing boards we have here for roads.
I thought you mostly drove the 05 Maggie. Where I noticed it most was crossing a railway track that runs on a diagonal to the road. The 03 shook pretty good crossing it.

·
Daily Driver
9,276 Posts
Thanks Flassh, interesting read. I'd read they had to redesign the floor pan and shift the motor over a couple inches to get the 6 liter and 6 speed to work, but I've never seen any details on the actual changes to the pan or chassis.

I had cowl shake at RR crossings and trolley tracks. The 4 bolt brace from the trailblazer helped a little, especially with the top down. Then Mikes radiator support and X-brace replacement plate, plus Left Coast's crossmember, made it tight and shake free even in extreme abuse.

·
Premium Member
9,482 Posts
Thanks Flassh, interesting read. I'd read they had to redesign the floor pan and shift the motor over a couple inches to get the 6 liter and 6 speed to work, but I've never seen any details on the actual changes to the pan or chassis.

I had cowl shake at RR crossings and trolley tracks. The 4 bolt brace from the trailblazer helped a little, especially with the top down. Then Mikes radiator support and X-brace replacement plate, plus Left Coast's crossmember, made it tight and shake free even in extreme abuse.
Yeah - nice to have engineers in the group. Replaced all of those on my 06, doing the BMR rear arms tonight, waiting for the LC32 Panhardt bar and the Addco sway bars. Should be a nice tight truck after that.

If I had an 03/04, the front crossmember replacements would be a must. It would be interesting to do a test run before and after. Even seat of the pants should be a major improvement.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,748 Posts

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,869 Posts
There is NO BEST color. Color alone would not determine the final resale price of any vehicle IMO. Several other factors enter into the formula as already mentioned.

The choice of color is a personal choice we make. And because we are all different, we choose one color out from among other choices. This is the very reason Chevrolet made different color choices in the first places. Think if they had made the R in only ONE color!! Not much fun there.

I love ALL SSRs. The color is icing on the cake. If the color should be the sole determing factor in a truck's worth then why do most of us go further by modifying them.

:glol :glol :thumbs

====================
David :black:

·
Daily Driver
9,276 Posts
Numerous studies have shown red to bring a higher price on the used car market, but that's with Chevys and Toyotas, where there's an infinite number to choose from.

They also discovered red cars draw more tickets, induces more road rage in other drivers, and have more accidents.

·
Premium Member
9,482 Posts
There are three areas of major disagreement among people who otherwise get along just fine.

Color

Waxes and polishes

Tires

Best to avoid those topics if you like harmony in your life.:glol

Reactions: CombsAuthor

·
Registered
365 Posts
Since the SSR is a "nitch" vehicle and very low production I think (just my opinion) color does not matter much. Red is very popular no matter what the brand/model is. If someone wants to purchase a SSR they usually look at other things first, mileage, condition, etc....before color.

·
Super Moderator
14,220 Posts
A couple years ago I had a chat with Bob Walczyk about MY2006 paint (pretty sure Bob won't remember this)
The numbers were influenced by the 11/2005 announcement of the imminent closure of the Lansing Craft Centre.

MY2006 - 2809 built

433 were 2 Tones (whoever came up with this is now working for Kia and doing the paint schemes for the Kia Soul)
:blur: 189 - There is a reason for this low number
:yellow: 285 - The bug stories finally cought up to the Slingshots and drove sales into the ground
:silver: 326 - They wanted to use all the paint supply @ LCC so the bondos were limited
:ssr 424 - As usual demand was fierce for the Redlines, and they ran out of red paint before the end of February (about 600 VINs to go).
They did keep enough on hand to do one more in March, an Allstate 400 Festival.
The general feeling at GM was they wished they had been able to do the Last SSR as a :ssr - the Ultimate Halo SSR
:blue: 532 - They ordered a 2 year supply of blue paint, having no idea MY2006 would be the last hurrah.
They actually had to "give" one of these away at the LCC Plant Closing Ceremonies.
:black: - 620 - no real accounting for this - Except - They plain ran out of nice paint!

The last 113 built (6B124000 - 6B124112)

8 - :silver:
55 - :black:
47 - :blue:
2 - B/Silver - the two last SSR's that should have been Redlines
I can't imagine I offended anyone, but just in case...I'm sorry! HaHa!

Kidding aside, miles, condition & options will be major contributors to hold value
There is a definite separation between the 03/04 and 05/06 values also.
Color probably has less impact on value than the above

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Hyundai Sonata designer Andre Hudson was the chief designer for the SSR when he worked for GM. He personally approved the colors. In an interview with Car and Driver he stated his favorite color is the Redline Red. SMART MAN.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
29,505 Posts
Simply put,

:blue: is fastest as proven at Sturbridge

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
29,505 Posts
I cannot confirm it is the fastest, but it has been PROVEN that it is the #1 color that attracts beautiful women....
I cannot argue with that, and why would I want to?

Reactions: HUAW and farf02
21 - 40 of 84 Posts