Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
'04 Slingshot with orange stripes front & reap spoilers and many upgrades
1,598 Posts
I guess we all have a reason why we chose the color of our SSR's and here's mine:

When we were searching for an 03 Corvette for Elizabeth I wanted her to get an Anniversary Edition convertible but she wanted a RED coupe.
We went to several dealerships and when we pulled up to the dealership where we ended up finding "her" car, there was a Slingshot (or whatever the heck they call in on a "Vette") sitting right by the main entrance.
She says to me "what do U think about that color"?
My response was "you'd need sunglasses to look at it in the sunlight'!:laugh:

Fast forward to the spring of '04:
I had been thinking about buying a '93 Cadillac Allante and was waiting for a reply from a offer that I had made on one.
I was reading the Sunday newspaper and when I got to the car ads section I saw that GM had just started offering GM Employee discounts.

Elizabeth says "you know you want one, why don't you go get it'?
Then she finishes by saying "you know if you get one, It would have to be YELLOW"!:surprise:

At that time, she had the RED 'Vette.
She had a BLACK Cadillac (lease vehicle)
She had a BLACK Harley
I had a BLACK Harley
I had a BLACK Silverado
I had just sold a BLACK Avalanche.

SO, RED and I was "Blacked-Out" so BLACK was out of the picture!

I wanted a BRIGHT colored, sporty SSR, and that folks is how I ended up with :yellow:

And BTW, she still has (another) BLACK Cadillac!

·
Premium Member
9,482 Posts
A couple years ago I had a chat with Bob Walczyk about MY2006 paint (pretty sure Bob won't remember this)
The numbers were influenced by the 11/2005 announcement of the imminent closure of the Lansing Craft Centre.

MY2006 - 2809 built

433 were 2 Tones (whoever came up with this is now working for Kia and doing the paint schemes for the Kia Soul)
:blur: 189 - There is a reason for this low number
:yellow: 285 - The bug stories finally cought up to the Slingshots and drove sales into the ground
:silver: 326 - They wanted to use all the paint supply @ LCC so the bondos were limited
:ssr 424 - As usual demand was fierce for the Redlines, and they ran out of red paint before the end of February (about 600 VINs to go).
They did keep enough on hand to do one more in March, an Allstate 400 Festival.
The general feeling at GM was they wished they had been able to do the Last SSR as a :ssr - the Ultimate Halo SSR
:blue: 532 - They ordered a 2 year supply of blue paint, having no idea MY2006 would be the last hurrah.
They actually had to "give" one of these away at the LCC Plant Closing Ceremonies.
:black: - 620 - no real accounting for this - Except - They plain ran out of nice paint!

The last 113 built (6B124000 - 6B124112)

I can't imagine I offended anyone, but just in case...I'm sorry! HaHa!
Unfortunate that I can't find an emoticon of a guy shovelling $hit.:glol

Many of you really piling it deep this time.

Here's my experience with SSRs.

Factory ordered a red one - luckily able to cancel that one.

Bought a yellow - slow and always full of bugs - traded it.

Ordered the silver/black.

Bought a Signature UV

Bought a Pac Blue FPR chrome

Bought another Signature UV.

Sold Sig 23, kept the silver/black
Sold the Pac Blue, kept the silver/black
Sold Sig 12, kept the silver/black

Please notice the pattern. Fairly obvious which is the most desirable.:bwekk::bwekk:

Reactions: Marc NY

·
Premium Member
9,482 Posts
Hyundai Sonata designer Andre Hudson was the chief designer for the SSR when he worked for GM. He personally approved the colors. In an interview with Car and Driver he stated his favorite color is the Redline Red. SMART MAN.
He didn't get much recognition for the SSR - can't find his name anywhere in the hardcover book, or the Signature Series info on the 50 plus execs who signed the 25 Signature Series.

Ed Welburn was Director of Design during the SSR project, and got much of the publicity and credit. He signed Sig 6. William Davis (Sig 8) was Director of Design for Midsize Trucks. Glen Durmisevich, SSR Design Manager and Doug Ungemach, Chief Designer at ASC who was heavily involved in the functional design of the SSR, especially the roof module, signed Sig 10.

If Andre was personally responsible for approving colors, there's a lot of pi$$ed off GM dealers who would like to chat with him about his decision to approve Ultra Violet for production in 2004. Those GM dealers paid 65 - 138K for the 24 Signatures that were auctioned, with assurance from the bigwigs that no other SSRs would be built in that color.

Six months later, the value of their trucks tanked because there were now 1300 UVs out there, instead of the 25 originally guaranteed. At least there's now a name to attach blame to - never had that before.:thumbs

I suspect, though, that the decision to release UV for 2004 production was made much higher on the food chain, and was motivated partly by the bean counters, who wanted to max profitability, and UV was a color that most dealers wanted. I'll wager the dealers who purchased the Signatures weren't on board for that.

I spoke to Bob McDorman a couple times about the four Signatures he had purchased. He was a very bitter man. He had bought into the Signatures as a long term investment. I was at his auction in 2010, spoke to him early on, but didn't get a chance to check in with him after he lost his butt on the three Signatures he had in the auction. The only truck he didn't lose too badly on was 24111, which went for about 10K less than he had paid for it in 2006.

During a discussion with Bob Walczyk about the Signature Series after I had purchased Sig 12, he indicated that in retrospect, releasing UV for production was not the correct decision. It did not achieve the anticipated sales level.

Out of 10676 2004s built, only 1273 UVs were ordered, compared to 3150 Redlines, 2750 Slingshots, 2122 Asphalt and 1381 Ricochet.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
He didn't get much recognition for the SSR - can't find his name anywhere in the hardcover book, or the Signature Series info on the 50 plus execs who signed the 25 Signature Series.

Ed Welburn was Director of Design during the SSR project, and got much of the publicity and credit. He signed Sig 6. William Davis (Sig 8) was Director of Design for Midsize Trucks. Glen Durmisevich, SSR Design Manager and Doug Ungemach, Chief Designer at ASC who was heavily involved in the functional design of the SSR, especially the roof module, signed Sig 10.

If Andre was personally responsible for approving colors, there's a lot of pi$$ed off GM dealers who would like to chat with him about his decision to approve Ultra Violet for production in 2004. Those GM dealers paid 65 - 138K for the 24 Signatures that were auctioned, with assurance from the bigwigs that no other SSRs would be built in that color.

Six months later, the value of their trucks tanked because there were now 1300 UVs out there, instead of the 25 originally guaranteed. At least there's now a name to attach blame to - never had that before.:thumbs
And on top of all that, all the hot chicks were flocking to the guys with the Pac Blues.......:harhar:

·
Premium Member
9,482 Posts
And on top of all that, all the hot chicks were flocking to the guys with the Pac Blues.......:harhar:
Dream on - you had to wait 3 more years for the hot chicks to be able to flock to Pac Blue.:harhar::harhar:

Reactions: Marc NY

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Designer of the Chevy SSR now at Hyundai
Andre Hudson, the design manager for Hyundai Design North America, has a long career in the automotive design field. His many design projects include the Chevy SSR, a retractable hardtop convertible pickup truck modeled after the Chevy Trucks of the 1940’s. The SSR was produced from 2003 to 2006 at the Lansing Craft Centre in Michigan. This vehicle has a very dedicated and growing following five years after the last unit, a black-on-silver model, rolled off the assembly line on March 17, 2006.

Chevy ssr

Hudson earned a degree in Industrial Design at the College for Creative Studies in Detroit and went to work for Chrysler as an intern his junior year. He began a seven year career with GM after he graduated. While at GM he was fortunate to be able to work on several concept car designs, the sort of creative projects that automotive designers love to be involved with. Hudson says his work on concept cars was a dream job but his ultimate goal was to develop designs that would translate into vehicles coming off the assembly line.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
From Superchevy.com
From Sketch To Reality
The original SSR concept sketch, penned by GM designer Andre Hudson, was selected from four final designs (some of which are still under consideration for other projects) produced by GM's Advanced Portfolio Exploration Team. The rapid decision to go forward with the operational prototype was made by Ed Welburn, director of GM's Corporate Brand Character Center.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
29,505 Posts
Designer of the Chevy SSR now at Hyundai
Andre Hudson, the design manager for Hyundai Design North America, has a long career in the automotive design field. His many design projects include the Chevy SSR, a retractable hardtop convertible pickup truck modeled after the Chevy Trucks of the 1940’s. The SSR was produced from 2003 to 2006 at the Lansing Craft Centre in Michigan. This vehicle has a very dedicated and growing following five years after the last unit, a black-on-silver model, rolled off the assembly line on March 17, 2006.

Chevy ssr

Hudson earned a degree in Industrial Design at the College for Creative Studies in Detroit and went to work for Chrysler as an intern his junior year. He began a seven year career with GM after he graduated. While at GM he was fortunate to be able to work on several concept car designs, the sort of creative projects that automotive designers love to be involved with. Hudson says his work on concept cars was a dream job but his ultimate goal was to develop designs that would translate into vehicles coming off the assembly line.
This sounds like a press releas or some such. Would be interesting to know the source.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Premium Member
9,482 Posts
From Superchevy.com
From Sketch To Reality
The original SSR concept sketch, penned by GM designer Andre Hudson, was selected from four final designs (some of which are still under consideration for other projects) produced by GM's Advanced Portfolio Exploration Team. The rapid decision to go forward with the operational prototype was made by Ed Welburn, director of GM's Corporate Brand Character Center.
The "Official" GM sources don't corroborate the Superchevy or other articles. Nothing confirms that Andre penned the original SSR concept sketch.

There is one "uncredited" sketch in the hardcover book "SSR - An American Original". Can't make out the signature, but possible it is Andre's. It has the curved roof, but the rest of the truck has more of a 30s look. There are two other sketches, credited to Jay Bernard and Hoon Kim. Both of those are more along the Dodge Power Wagon Style.

Both the hardcover book and the Signature scrapbook credit the "slammer" sketch, which is extremely close to the SSR's final shape and was selected to move forward, to Doug Ungemach. Doug then did renderings, which except for some front fender corner spoilers and the rear spear, are virtually what went to production. The rear spear initially was intended for production, but scrubbed after the concept was shown with it.

There is a paragraph in the Signature scrapbook that refers to Ed Welburn guiding a team of young designers through the initial brainstorming sessions, exploring a variety of design solutions.

I would recommend that you find a copy of Gary Witzenberg's SSR - An American Original. It is a priceless history of the SSR from concept to reality. I have one really beat up copy, another that I have available for others to look at, and a third still in its wrapper just in case.

You should be able to find a copy on Amazon or EBay.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Well I guess you can put anything on the internet. This is from GM.com

Funny - Nothing about SSR

But as we all know, someone is always claiming credit for someone else work. I don't know who you consider the "Official" GM sources. I will email both of them and ask if either one had anything to do with it. May have been the janitor.

Ed Welburn
Vice President, Global Design

Ed Welburn was named vice president, Global Design, in March 2005. Previously he was GM vice president, North America Design, since 2003, only the sixth Design leader in GM history. Welburn leads the company’s global design centers and is a member of the company’s Executive Leadership Team (ELT).

Welburn has created a network of 10 Design Centers in seven countries around the world. He and his team of 2,500 men and women are responsible for the design development of every GM concept and production car and truck globally. The Design Centers are located in the United States, Germany, Korea, China, Australia, Brazil and India.

Welburn joined General Motors in 1972 as an associate designer assigned to the Advanced Design Studios. In 1975, he was assigned to the Oldsmobile Exterior Studio. There he led the development of a number of successful production vehicles and designed the Oldsmobile Aerotech speed-record vehicle in the mid-1980s, which set several world records.

He was named chief designer of the Oldsmobile Studio in 1989 before beginning a two-year assignment at Saturn in 1996, which led to an overseas assignment in Germany, where he worked on future global design programs.

Welburn was named director of GM’s Advanced Design organization in 1998. His team was responsible for the development of new and innovative vehicles for all GM brands, including a new generation of hydrogen fuel cell concepts. He was then appointed executive director of design, body-on-frame architectures, in 2002. In this position, he was responsible for the three truck studios at the GM Design Center in Warren.

Welburn’s passion for car design began at an early age in his hometown of Philadelphia. He was initially influenced by vehicles such as the Cadillac Cyclone concept and Chevrolet Corvettes during the late 1950s. At age 11, he wrote a letter to GM saying he wanted to be a car designer. The company wrote back, and recommended the steps he needed to take to achieve his dream.

Welburn has received honors and special recognition from numerous organizations, including:
Rainbow PUSH
The Automotive Hall of Fame
Howard University
Ebony
Black Enterprise
The Le May – America’s Car Museum
Detroit Historical Society
Trumpet Awards
Multicultural Media Awards
African Americans on Wheels
Michigan Chronicle

In February 2015, Welburn made history when he was named Black Engineer of the Year at the 29th annual “Becoming Everything You Are” (BEYA) conference in Washington, D.C. This was the first time a GM employee took the top honor of one of the nation’s most prestigious diversity awards.

Welburn is a board member of the GM Foundation, and serves on the board of trustees at the College for Creative Studies in Detroit, Mich. He received a bachelor’s degree from the College of Fine Arts at Howard University, where he studied sculpture and product design.

·
Premium Member
9,482 Posts
I don't know who you consider the "Official" GM sources.
SSR An American Original was compiled by Gary Witzenburg with full co-operation and input from sources within Chevrolet.

The SSR scrapbooks were commissioned by GM, done by a Detroit PR firm hired by GM to compile them. Bob Walczyk as marketing manager was heavily involved with that project. I had the opportunity to speak with Bob about that project, and how much it meant to Signature owners.

Neither source has anything to do with the internet.

I don't have any axe to grind with Andre Hudson. I just don't like seeing history revised based on an outside article with possibly less than desirable vetting. We have all seen inaccurate reporting before.

Something similar happened several years ago when a well meaning Fanatic posted that all 25 Signature trucks came with a Gibson guitar. It took a long time to dispel that rumour, in spite of many posts attempting to correct the error.

I requested that Pace Guy add the note at the bottom of the page regarding Signature 12.

http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f80/signature-12-gibson-guitar-ssr-42855/

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
29,505 Posts
I suspect it was rhetorical. At least that is the way I took it.

·
Premium Member
9,482 Posts
From Superchevy.com
From Sketch To Reality
Found an old thread about a drawing of the slammer selling for a high price.

http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f22/lithograph-47989/

41 - 60 of 84 Posts