Chevy SSR Forum banner

Favorite color SSR? Most desirable for resale?

27K views 85 replies 45 participants last post by  nj6969 
#1 ·
Hi,
I'm looking at the SSR's for sale and trying to figure out what is the best color option for resale?
I noticed that some colors SSR are priced more than others.
Just curious to what is driving the resale market.

So, what's your favorite color???
Thanks
:yellow::ssr:silver::black::purple::blue::blur:

#3 ·
Of Course it's PACIFIC BLUE! :blue: It is the rarest solid color with only 532 built. Ask any "Blues Brother or Sister" and they will agree as well as many others who wish they had a Pac Blue!

Cash, I might have lost those Christmas cards after all!

Reactions: Trygodfirst
#6 ·
I hate to admit it but Pacific Blue rarest and in demand. Next would be the TUXEDO black and silver. But you always have to remember Slingshot Yellow is the fastest and sexiest. Really it is in the eye of the beholder. Miles, condition, year, six speed, color all play into the sale thing. My 2 cents. If you are buying for resale you are making a big mistake from the get go. Should buy what pleases you and you will love it forever. If you are buying it so the next guy likes it why bother. Like any collector rare vehicle they are going to go up or down in time as it is a crap shoot. Buy it and enjoy it and don't worry about resale. If you are worried about losing or making money skip the whole thing and put your money in a bank. Like I said just my opinion, but what do I know???

#18 ·
Agree and Disagree with Auggie Doggie...

Agree...:agree Don't buy an SSR if you're only thinking of what you're going to get back out of it some day.
Find one (any color) and go drive it...then once you wipe that PermaGrin smile off of your face, you'll be ready to go out and find the one with the color that appeals to you the most!

Disagree....Yellow is not the fastest, but it looks that way as folks tend to 'drive it like you stole it' HA! But seriously, I like my Aqua Blur, which was made in 05-06, with a production run of around 1492.
Find an Aqua Blur to look at in person...it's like getting a vehicle with about 3-4 different paint colors, from Aqua, to Purple, to Blue, to Black....

Here's a link to production numbers if that's a help in making your determination. http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f4/rev-2003-06-production-history-8296/

Bob
:blur:

#12 · (Edited)
Resale Red. It seems you are only going to keep it for a while, so picking a "currently popular color" you would pay extra for now may not be an advantage down the road.
It is more important, to me, that the truck is properly RPO optioned, i.e. carpeted bed, running boards, gauges, and if 2006 , chrome package. FPR is also a very good selling point. The transmission, M10 option (six speed) is very rare, but a hard sell as many buyers may want the ease of an automatic.
For the long term value to be there, the truck needs to be original paint, low miles, and have a clean history. A one owner truck would be what I would look for, making you only the second owner.
Two tones are not as popular as the Pacific blue, but are still fairly rare. They break down in several color combos.
Factor attrition ( total loss ) and the numbers are lower. I do know of the 1300 '04 Ultra Violet, many have been lost to floods and accidents.(see CASH's thread..http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f4/vin-s-ssr-s-deceased-38993/
Good luck. I hope you find one, use it, then make a killing.

#14 · (Edited)
Two tones are not as popular as the Pacific blue, but are still fairly rare. They break down in several color combos, with Pac/Black the absolute rarest.
Good luck. I hope you find one, use it, then make a killing.
Looks like Jim was typing about the same time I was. He's mostly correct - except that there were 9 Pac/black built, and only 5 silver/blur.:bwekk:

I don't agree about 2-tones being less popular. There weren't as many built, so correct in that regard. 432 2-tones, 532 pac blue. That makes the 2-tones the rarest, very distinctive, and they seem to hold value extremely well. Take that, Jimmy.:pokey:

#19 · (Edited)
I'll have to do some digging through the gazillion articles I have accumulated.

I can tell you from seat of the pants feel that when I first drove my 06 on some very rippled roads I have to get through that there was significantly less cowl shake than I was used to with the 03 when driving the 06.

I rediscovered that the first time I drove Sig 23 on the same roads. The cowl shake was back.

Update - just found this article. Similar seat of the pants conclusion, no specifics as to how it was achieved.

By Steven Cole Smith

Orlando Sentinel
March 24, 2005

Customers who bought a 2004 Pontiac GTO or Chevrolet SSR had good reason to be annoyed when General Motors introduced the 2005 versions of the two vehicles.

The V-8 engine in the GTO grew from 5.7 liters and 350 horsepower in '04, to 6.0 liters and 400 horsepower for '05. But the performance difference in the SSR, Chevy's retro-looking pickup truck, was even greater: The 5.3-liter, 300-horsepower V-8 had become a 390-horsepower, 6.0-liter V-8.

Essentially, the SSR's engine in 2004 was a regular V-8 from the pickup line. But for 2005, the SSR got the same engine as the all-new 2005 Chevrolet Corvette, though Chevy claims 10 more horsepower for the Corvette powerplant.

Also, the 2004 SSR was offered only with a four-speed automatic transmission. That transmission is still standard, but the 2005 SSR gets a six-speed manual as an option for an extra $815.

Is this a big deal? If you bought your SSR for just plain ol' daily transportation, no, but I wonder if anyone, anywhere spent more than $40,000 on an SSR just because they think it's practical. Because it isn't. It is one of the least practical vehicles you can buy. The SSR is about fun, and 90 extra horsepower is just that much more fun, right?

It's also about performance. One magazine tested a 2004 SSR and got a 0-to-60 mph time of 7 seconds, and a quarter-mile time of 15.4 seconds. The 2005 SSR it tested ran to 60 mph in 5.5 seconds and did the quarter-mile in 14.1 seconds. So the performance difference is substantial, and as a result, likely the difference in resale value will be, too.

Chevrolet upped the price for 2005, but not by much - base price in '04 was $41,620, and for 2005, it's $42,430. Add in the six-speed manual transmission fè and a few other features, and our test SSR's list price was $47,500, including shipping. By comparison, the base price of a 2005 Chevrolet Corvette is $43,710.

The SSR debuted in January 2000, at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, as a concept. It was such a hit that Chevrolet quickly made plans to build it and subsequently elevated its designer, Ed Welburn, to the chief of design for all of General Motors.

Between 2000 and 2004, though, a few things happened: The original SSR was built on the platform of the antiquated S-10 Blazer, but it seemed just the right size at a length of 186.1 inches and a weight of just more than 3,500 pounds. But Chevy decided to build the production version on the larger platform created for the TrailBlazer SUV, and the SSR grew to 191.4 inches and a weight of more than 4,700 pounds. The SSR concept had a 6.0-liter V-8, and when the production model showed up larger and heavier with a 5.3-liter V-8 engine, it was - well, a bit of a letdown.

The 2005 model, though it's no smaller or lighter, is a lot faster than last year's. The 6.0-liter V-8 sounds just right, and with the six-speed manual transmission, the SSR has the hot-rod feel that its looks suggest.

As for those looks: Chevrolet thankfully kept the cool but complicated retractable hardtop that, at the touch of one button, disappears behind the driver and passenger seats. Another button pops open the cover on the bed, and you'll need that space for anything larger than a loaf of bread. The bed is carpeted, though, so borrow a neighbor's pickup if you need to haul a load of manure.

The build quality on the 2005 test SSR was the best yet, but that might sound like I'm damning it with faint praise, as some of the early '04 SSRs had copious squeaks, rattles and, with the top down, cowl shake. None of that with the '05.

There is still nothing practical about the 2005 Chevrolet SSR, the most outrageous factory-built hot rod since the Plymouth Prowler. The extra power and manual transmission in the '05 model don't make that much difference in the ultimate success of the SSR's central mission, which is rumbling around town with the top down, thus making its owners, who are mostly mature, feel a little less mature. But the extra 90 horsepower does shave off a couple more years.

CONSUMER INFORMATION

Base price: $42,430.

Price as tested: $47,500.

EPA rating: 13 mpg city, 20 mpg highway.

Details: Front-engine, rear-wheel-drive convertible pickup truck with a 6.0-liter, 390-horsepower V-8 and a 6-speed manual transmission.

Sentinel Automotive Editor Steven Cole Smith's television reports air Wednesdays on Central Florida News 13.

Read more at 2005*Chevrolet*SSR Review By Steven Cole Smith

#17 ·
I think Yellow is the most popular...every run I go on seems to be more Slingshot Yellows than any other color! My favorite color is Smokin' Black, Yelllow would be second. Gary river_rat has an scientific explanation that yellow is fastest! Bugs can attest that!

#21 ·
I thought you mostly drove the 05 Maggie. Where I noticed it most was crossing a railway track that runs on a diagonal to the road. The 03 shook pretty good crossing it.

#22 ·
Thanks Flassh, interesting read. I'd read they had to redesign the floor pan and shift the motor over a couple inches to get the 6 liter and 6 speed to work, but I've never seen any details on the actual changes to the pan or chassis.

I had cowl shake at RR crossings and trolley tracks. The 4 bolt brace from the trailblazer helped a little, especially with the top down. Then Mikes radiator support and X-brace replacement plate, plus Left Coast's crossmember, made it tight and shake free even in extreme abuse.

#23 · (Edited)
Yeah - nice to have engineers in the group. Replaced all of those on my 06, doing the BMR rear arms tonight, waiting for the LC32 Panhardt bar and the Addco sway bars. Should be a nice tight truck after that.

If I had an 03/04, the front crossmember replacements would be a must. It would be interesting to do a test run before and after. Even seat of the pants should be a major improvement.

#29 ·
There is NO BEST color. Color alone would not determine the final resale price of any vehicle IMO. Several other factors enter into the formula as already mentioned.

The choice of color is a personal choice we make. And because we are all different, we choose one color out from among other choices. This is the very reason Chevrolet made different color choices in the first places. Think if they had made the R in only ONE color!! Not much fun there.

I love ALL SSRs. The color is icing on the cake. If the color should be the sole determing factor in a truck's worth then why do most of us go further by modifying them.

:glol :glol :thumbs

====================
David :black:

#30 ·
Numerous studies have shown red to bring a higher price on the used car market, but that's with Chevys and Toyotas, where there's an infinite number to choose from.

They also discovered red cars draw more tickets, induces more road rage in other drivers, and have more accidents.

#61 ·
Right you are Bruce.
When I was shopping a year and a half ago. Reds were all higher mileage vehicles, about $2000 higher than the rest. There were a number of Purples available, on average $1500-$5000 below. I'd have bought a Purple one just for the $$$ difference, my daughter would not hear of it. If I'd been smarter, I'd have listened to the fanatics and bought a Fanatic pre-loved vehicle.
Decided I wanted the lowest mileage cleanest vehicle I could afford, Bought a Slingshot Yellow one. I can't stand yellow in anything else but my R, but I knew it was right for me my first time I laid eyes on it. I'd driven Red and Black, I really liked the Reds, but the Yellow just made me forget I ever wanted a red one. (Maybe Mr Bill's :ssr truck it's special)
I spent the next year spending about $4K additional on parts and add-ons that I swore I'd never buy or be interested in. Would have been much simpler to have added $4K to my initial purchase and bought one that had a spare tire kit, and a windjammer and chrome wheels and every one of Mike Moro's Excellent add-ons that we all come to see as necessities.
I think the biggest decision is whether you want the Chrome package or not. It is a heck of a lot cheaper to buy one with the chrome package from the factory that it is to put it together a piece at a time as add-ons. Chrome or not, buy the best lowest mileage car you can afford, you will never regret it.
Cary
LKMURKY
Loving my 04 :yellow:

#33 · (Edited)
There are three areas of major disagreement among people who otherwise get along just fine.

Color

Waxes and polishes

Tires

Best to avoid those topics if you like harmony in your life.:glol

Reactions: CombsAuthor
#34 ·
Since the SSR is a "nitch" vehicle and very low production I think (just my opinion) color does not matter much. Red is very popular no matter what the brand/model is. If someone wants to purchase a SSR they usually look at other things first, mileage, condition, etc....before color.

#36 · (Edited)
A couple years ago I had a chat with Bob Walczyk about MY2006 paint (pretty sure Bob won't remember this)
The numbers were influenced by the 11/2005 announcement of the imminent closure of the Lansing Craft Centre.

MY2006 - 2809 built

433 were 2 Tones (whoever came up with this is now working for Kia and doing the paint schemes for the Kia Soul)
:blur: 189 - There is a reason for this low number
:yellow: 285 - The bug stories finally cought up to the Slingshots and drove sales into the ground
:silver: 326 - They wanted to use all the paint supply @ LCC so the bondos were limited
:ssr 424 - As usual demand was fierce for the Redlines, and they ran out of red paint before the end of February (about 600 VINs to go).
They did keep enough on hand to do one more in March, an Allstate 400 Festival.
The general feeling at GM was they wished they had been able to do the Last SSR as a :ssr - the Ultimate Halo SSR
:blue: 532 - They ordered a 2 year supply of blue paint, having no idea MY2006 would be the last hurrah.
They actually had to "give" one of these away at the LCC Plant Closing Ceremonies.
:black: - 620 - no real accounting for this - Except - They plain ran out of nice paint!

The last 113 built (6B124000 - 6B124112)

8 - :silver:
55 - :black:
47 - :blue:
2 - B/Silver - the two last SSR's that should have been Redlines
I can't imagine I offended anyone, but just in case...I'm sorry! HaHa!

Kidding aside, miles, condition & options will be major contributors to hold value
There is a definite separation between the 03/04 and 05/06 values also.
Color probably has less impact on value than the above

#42 ·
A couple years ago I had a chat with Bob Walczyk about MY2006 paint (pretty sure Bob won't remember this)
The numbers were influenced by the 11/2005 announcement of the imminent closure of the Lansing Craft Centre.

MY2006 - 2809 built

433 were 2 Tones (whoever came up with this is now working for Kia and doing the paint schemes for the Kia Soul)
:blur: 189 - There is a reason for this low number
:yellow: 285 - The bug stories finally cought up to the Slingshots and drove sales into the ground
:silver: 326 - They wanted to use all the paint supply @ LCC so the bondos were limited
:ssr 424 - As usual demand was fierce for the Redlines, and they ran out of red paint before the end of February (about 600 VINs to go).
They did keep enough on hand to do one more in March, an Allstate 400 Festival.
The general feeling at GM was they wished they had been able to do the Last SSR as a :ssr - the Ultimate Halo SSR
:blue: 532 - They ordered a 2 year supply of blue paint, having no idea MY2006 would be the last hurrah.
They actually had to "give" one of these away at the LCC Plant Closing Ceremonies.
:black: - 620 - no real accounting for this - Except - They plain ran out of nice paint!

The last 113 built (6B124000 - 6B124112)

I can't imagine I offended anyone, but just in case...I'm sorry! HaHa!
Unfortunate that I can't find an emoticon of a guy shovelling $hit.:glol

Many of you really piling it deep this time.

Here's my experience with SSRs.

Factory ordered a red one - luckily able to cancel that one.

Bought a yellow - slow and always full of bugs - traded it.

Ordered the silver/black.

Bought a Signature UV

Bought a Pac Blue FPR chrome

Bought another Signature UV.

Sold Sig 23, kept the silver/black
Sold the Pac Blue, kept the silver/black
Sold Sig 12, kept the silver/black

Please notice the pattern. Fairly obvious which is the most desirable.:bwekk::bwekk:

Reactions: Marc NY