Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was down in LA for 5 days and Allen Gwynn found me an 05 black 6spd with the running boards for $500 over invoice. cancelled my flight and drove it home today!

few initial observations:

1) why didn't they put the radio controls on the left side of the wheel? seems like i hardly have my right hand on the wheel (have to shift, don't I?)
2) seals seals seals. it's been raining almost nonstop since i picked her up and anytime you open anything, water pours out
3) NOISE - how do i get these pillows people have talked about to quiet down the road noise?
4) rough idle? anyone else with the 6 spd notice that the gearshifter REALLY dances around? the worst part about it is that it makes a clicking noise (which I THINK is the pleather around it sticking/rubbing as it jiggles back and forth) that I REALLY need to get rid of... incredibly annoying sound
5) overall i love the new engine and tranny, but the exhaust doesn't sound quite as cool as the earlier model year i test drove last year
6) not the most comfortable seats when you're 6'3"
7) i feel like I paid $1900 for heated seats!!!

still a big smile on my face :)

will take some more as soon as the rain stops!!!
-Wes

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
congrats. now next time i am at the Claremont i expect to get a look at the six speed!

going through the mountain pass with your new SSR musta been some fun!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it would have been more fun if I could have seen more than 15 feet in front of me!!! the storm was nuts...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh if you meant the grapevine area we took the 101 instead... i heard 5 was a mess...

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,714 Posts
Nice

pesos said:
was down in LA for 5 days and Allen Gwynn found me an 05 black 6spd with the running boards for $500 over invoice. cancelled my flight and drove it home today!

few initial observations:

1) why didn't they put the radio controls on the left side of the wheel? seems like i hardly have my right hand on the wheel (have to shift, don't I?)
1a) They designed the steering wheel setup when all they had was an automatics to drive ;)
2) seals seals seals. it's been raining almost nonstop since i picked her up and anytime you open anything, water pours out
2a) I haven't driven in real rain so not sure how much water pours out :confused
3) NOISE - how do i get these pillows people have talked about to quiet down the road noise?
3)a Ahh mine is a wee bit loud but to me its all fits in with the Roadster's sounds...
4) rough idle? anyone else with the 6 spd notice that the gearshifter REALLY dances around? the worst part about it is that it makes a clicking noise (which I THINK is the pleather around it sticking/rubbing as it jiggles back and forth) that I REALLY need to get rid of... incredibly annoying sound
4)a Never drove a Six Speed yet... darn it :(
5) overall i love the new engine and tranny, but the exhaust doesn't sound quite as cool as the earlier model year i test drove last year
5)a That is true... I found that the 03 - 04s sounds a wee bit more "throatier" ! :jester
6) not the most comfortable seats when you're 6'3"
6)a I am 6'2" and I drove in it 6 hours straight and I found the seats to be fairly comfortable. :thumbs
7) i feel like I paid $1900 for heated seats!!!
7)a You got much more than heated seats for $1,900.00 :yesnod

still a big smile on my face :)
I still have a big smile on my face too :)
will take some more as soon as the rain stops!!!
-Wes
Hope the rains stops soon! Good luck with your new black beauty! :flag

·
Registered
133 Posts
What would contribute to the 5.3 litre sounding somewhat more throatier than the 6 litre?

I have read this several times from several different people!

I luv the sound of my 04!!!

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,714 Posts
2 Reasons make one great sound!

SPEDS said:
What would contribute to the 5.3 litre sounding somewhat more throatier than the 6 litre?

I have read this several times from several different people!

I luv the sound of my 04!!!
The combination of two very distinct things that occurs... SPEDS! :)

• THE SWEET ENGINE REVS!
  • THE MEAN THROATY ROAR OF THE EXHAUST!
Those two combinations make for ONE sweet sound... you have to own an 03 or 04 and then drive an 05 to feel, hear and sense the SWEET differences... :jester

1 - 8 of 8 Posts