Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - so yesterday afternoon I had a doctor's appointment and took the afternoon off - my girl got off work at 3 and cancelled on another commitment and we hit the road. While I was picking her up at her office, heh, a top-down Redline SSR went thru her parking lot (anyone here? this is at the medical park basically on the corner of Rolling and Braddock in Spgfd/Burke, VA - I waved a thumbs up from the sidewalk but you didn't see me)

Anyways - Koons Chevy in Tyson's Corner, not the greatest place to buy a car as their salespeople are pretty vulturey, but they had 2 05s on the lot, both the same - Aqua Blur with chrome wheels and everything else. The sales guy I'd dealt with before and he was nice enough - let us take the truck for a half hour or so...

So I took it back thru the twisties to Wolf Trap, where I proceeded to toss it around the parking lot with great zeal. No donuts or anything, but I whipped it around a tad on the aggro side...

My girl loves the exhaust note and the sound of gunning it and letting it idle back down popping and spitting, and that's about it - everything else she could take or leave. (You want to trade in your Vette for that?)

As for my take, well, I'm disappointed that I didn't fall totally in love with it all over again. The ride is smooth, the engine is powerful and the looks are good, plus putting the top down is everything it ever was. But, there's something about it that didn't grab me this time around, and I can't put my finger on it.

Last time I bought an SSR i was coming from a C5 Corvette - the SSR was a stellar improvement in driving comfort, to me. This time I'd be supplanting a C6 - much tougher switch to make, IMHO. The SSR feels so way up in the air and has considerable body roll, which I know is normal for a truck, but takes away a lot of the hot-rod feel. The whole time I was trying to make my seat lower.

Gawd I'm just not sure anymore. I see C6s all the time, really miss the total unique feeling I got with an SSR that I saw another of once every few months at best. And every time I see any sort of classic or hotrod I think of the SSR fondly. But then I hop back into my C6 and wonder if anything feels as slick to drive. It's not that I want to get rid of the C6, it's just that I started missing the SSR, and can't afford two cars...

*sigh* man, why couldn't it just have been a slam-dunk like I thought it was going to be?

Note: The one I drove had the driveshaft tink upon acceleration - only once that I can remember, but it was loud and prominent.

Also - I could have sworn they lightened up the steering on the 05s - this one was as heavy to steer as my 04 - I'd much rather a lighter steering feel, myself.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Man, you are trying to split hairs. Kinda like comparing a F-15C to a F-16, I mean they both are flat out superior. I mean what other cars are on the market both domestic or foreign that can compete with either the SSR or the C6, for power, styling, price, reliabilty etc. IMHO none.

Maybe the girl friend can get a parttime job????:jester

·
Registered
96 Posts
I vote for the SSR. I live in Ashburn and have only seen 3 in my local driving.

I have an Aqua Blur 05 automatic and it gets stares from everyone both on the road and when it is parked. I have had many people want to know who did my "custom paint". I have mdoified the intake opening and added a K&N filter, I have a set of Dynatech headers soon to be intalled and I think it is on it way to giving me the performance I am looking for. My only kinda regret is not getting the 6 speed, but since my age and traffic conditions in daily driving I choose the automatic.

I LOVE MY TRUCK\CONVERTABLE\RODSTER and would not trade it on any vehicle at this point.

Just my 2 cents, but go on and get one so you can join me in Ashburn at the Chick-Fil-A at Dulles Town Center on Friday nights in the spring so I am not the ONLY SSR to show up.

·
Registered
190 Posts
MrSchlegSSR said:
I vote for the SSR. I live in Ashburn and have only seen 3 in my local driving.

I have an Aqua Blur 05 automatic and it gets stares from everyone both on the road and when it is parked. I have had many people want to know who did my "custom paint". I have mdoified the intake opening and added a K&N filter, I have a set of Dynatech headers soon to be intalled and I think it is on it way to giving me the performance I am looking for. My only kinda regret is not getting the 6 speed, but since my age and traffic conditions in daily driving I choose the automatic.

I LOVE MY TRUCK\CONVERTABLE\RODSTER and would not trade it on any vehicle at this point.

Just my 2 cents, but go on and get one so you can join me in Ashburn at the Chick-Fil-A at Dulles Town Center on Friday nights in the spring so I am not the ONLY SSR to show up.

I agree totally. I could not have agreed more. I too went back and forth between the Z06 and the SSR. I love the SSr and will be the first to admitt the Z06 is cool and much faster but down the road you can always get that Z06 but you can not say that about the SSR...
By the way i too used to live in Loudoun Co. Va... Work for Alcatel in herndon, Va.:seeya

1 - 5 of 5 Posts