Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just left the muffler clinic where the TOY had the new Magna Flow muffler and Mike's tips put on. It is real happy with the results, it can breathe better, it has more pep and it's voice is more Masculine. It is really anxious to get to Daytona for Jeremy to tweek it's heart. To be continued.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,171 Posts
Did you split the Y pipe and install the #12568 Muffler with the X pipe inside?

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,941 Posts
Just left the muffler clinic where the TOY had the new Magna Flow muffler and Mike's tips put on. It is real happy with the results, it can breathe better, it has more pep and it's voice is more Masculine. It is really anxious to get to Daytona for Jeremy to tweek it's heart. To be continued.
Curious to know if you still get the drone at 1800 rpm or around there when cruising.
The Corsa cat back system fully eliminates the drone, has a nice bark when the foot gets heavy, OEM quiet at cruising but it is a bit pricey.
I'm pretty satisfied with the OEM sound except for the drone. If I'm going to upgrade, I want no drone at any cruise speed and a happy passenger.
Greg

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,171 Posts
Yes just like Dr Auggie ordered.
Two questions.
1. Does it sound PURTY?
2. Does the low end impress you?

Wait until you get the tune.

Reactions: Jersey red

·
Daily Driver
8,948 Posts
Curious to know if you still get the drone at 1800 rpm or around there when cruising.
Every small block chevy I've owned had the 1800-2000 rpm loud spot. 350 with a blower and open headers to a smog 305 single exhaust, they all do it for some reason, but don't all drone.

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Corsa cat back system fully eliminates the drone, has a nice bark when the foot gets heavy, OEM quiet at cruising but it is a bit pricey.
I'm pretty satisfied with the OEM sound except for the drone. If I'm going to upgrade, I want no drone at any cruise speed and a happy passenger.
Greg
Have not driven it at highway speeds yet. The weather has been so crappy, will try it out this weekend. Couldn't really open it up because of wet roads.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,171 Posts
Greg
Had mine on for several years now. No drone. Purrs like a kitten at normal RPM and then sounds like a hotrod and pins you back in the seat when you hit the loud pedal. No drone on the highway. The big problem with a Catback system is you take nice flowing exhaust manifolds and try to stuff all the exhaust into one small pipe and muffler and it really chokes the power. By splitting the Y pipe it allows the engine to breathe and scavenges the exhaust through the muffler where the X pipe balances everything out and makes a lot of power. Closest thing to true duals and half the cost. Works for me.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Did the "true dual" conversion on my '04. Split the Y=pipe and used the magnaflow 12568 with stock tips.

My takeaway:
A tad quieter than stock with a nice tone.
The 1700 rpm drone is still there but not offensive.
Maybe a bit more torque on the bottom end but not much.
Wish it was a little louder and deeper tone.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,171 Posts
Muffler, two pipes, hanger, welding, and attaching Mikes tips 400 ,I don't think that was too bad.

I did mine in two trips. First one was Split the Y pipe, two pipes, muffler, and re-attach the tail pipes for $350.00. Next time I had old tips taken off and Mikes Tips welded on for $40.00. About the same. If they didn't tell you that muffler is all stainless steel and guaranteed for life. Works for me.

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
Did the "true dual" conversion on my '04. Split the Y=pipe and used the magnaflow 12568 with stock tips.

My takeaway:
A tad quieter than stock with a nice tone.
The 1700 rpm drone is still there but not offensive.
Maybe a bit more torque on the bottom end but not much.
Wish it was a little louder and deeper tone.
I agree with slightly quieter than stock, but have not noticed the "drone". I too could stand for a little louder and deeper......as to cost, I brought my source the Magna Flow muffler and the install and elimination of the Y pipe combined cost me $200. He didn't have to deal with any real mods rearward of the muffler as I kept the tips already there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts