·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
what year, what size motor?

Reactions: Marty

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Oh my, I remember when I purchase my stock 5.3 SSR. Nice cruiser.

With the weight of these gorgeous trucks they really feel right at around 500 HP to the tire.

Have fun.

Regards,

Jerry

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Ls 2

My stock '05 with 6 speed and 456 cruises real nice.

It does not take a lot of push to get it from 75 to 110 on the interstate.

I assume that is south of 350 to the rears?

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
A total of 4 hp at the wheel with a high lift cam upgrade. Definitely gotta get some headers
You most certainly have something going on and it's not the exhaust system! Did you change the valve springs with the cam change - it's mandatory to do that. You should be seeing 25-30 hp even with a stock exhaust system. Headers may give you another 5-10 hp. That combo should pull strong to 6000 rpm and beyond!

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You most certainly have something going on and it's not the exhaust system! Did you change the valve springs with the cam change - it's mandatory to do that. You should be seeing 25-30 hp even with a stock exhaust system. Headers may give you another 5-10 hp. That combo should pull strong to 6000 rpm and beyond!
On the invoice, it has springs, retainers, and pushrods with the kit. It's a Texas Speed Highlift 216/220 600/600 cam.
the total cost of it all was about 3,200.00

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,483 Posts
On the invoice, it has springs, retainers, and pushrods with the kit. It's a Texas Speed Highlift 216/220 600/600 cam.
the total cost of it all was about 3,200.00
I don't know, but, 4 HP increase doesn't sound right!!! Maybe modern computer controls are the culprit???? I know someone who had a "Thumper" cam installed in a late model------but I don't hear any "Thumping"!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nick

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know, but, 4 HP increase doesn't sound right!!! Maybe modern computer controls are the culprit???? I know someone who had a "Thumper" cam installed in a late model------but I don't hear any "Thumping"!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nick
It is louder and I can certainly feel a gain in torque. It doesn't have an aggressive idle like a pro-stock or funny car. But it does have a modest loppy idle.

Just before the manager showed me the dyno results he took a deep breath and seemed a bit disappointed that he didn't have something better to tell me. So, he went on with techno-babble and assured me I would feel more of a difference than shown on paper. And to top it all off, they left two dyno sensors connected to the truck. Now I'm wondering if the dyno may have malfunctioned. These guys are not typically sloppy and forgetful. But now I feel like something happened and they are just not talking about it.

·
Registered
904 Posts
A total of 4 hp at the wheel with a high lift cam upgrade. Definitely gotta get some headers
First thing I would find out is what is going on, Lingenfelter got a one off cam they tried and it worked so a friend that worked there at the time had them get one for my 5.3 and it made 60 hp to the crank, I agree with the others you have something going on, You should at least 25 hp with just a stock cam and rocker change

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Both dyno results are from a DynoJet chassis dyno, Not an engine dyno. After a little research, I've learned that are many things can affect the output results. Atmospheric conditions, strapped down too tight and so on. They say horsepower can only be calculated not measured.

Once again, thanks to all for your input.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,143 Posts
I would think you would see a bigger gain than 4 horse power. What was used to tune the truck after the cam change? Something doesn't sound right with the results.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,323 Posts
Soooooooo, I am really confused here. You state you spent gobs of money to install a new cam and lifter package, they dyno it and say that you got a measly 4HP gain. Not trying to be mean but you could simply have installed a foam air filter and gotten that for $15.

When I look at the dyno chart you posted, there is only a .3 difference in temp and humidity shows it changed 2%, basically a very similar run. The HP increase shows it was a 24 gain and a torque increase of almost 15. The chart is displaying SAE numbers which is more stringent, and a line averaging or smoothing was used at a scale of 5 to better show the output.

I take it that the dyno was a before and after installation on your truck correct? If not I apologize, but the bottom area of the document was cut off and I am just trying to put my hands around this like everyone else. Even without a proper tune, after doing a top end installation with performance parts it should give you more than 4, maybe computer is fighting the upgrade and that is why you have a light and poor performance?

Regardless, why is it beings stated you only got 4 out of the mod when the chart seems to show more like 24?
I know I am getting more gray by the minute but what am I missing here?
Are you stating that you only have 4 more HP than a new fresh engine in comparison?
If that is the case, then your engine was probably worn out before the cam swap and running a really low HP.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts