Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is the first reaction you had when you saw the SSR for the first time? What stands out the most in your mind?

To me it looked like a wasp. I loved it. Never saw anything else like it, and there's still nothing on the road to beat it, foreign or domestic....and probably won't be for a long time. :flag

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,073 Posts
First look was one with the top down. Loved the front half of the truck. The rear deck looks too long. Still wish there was a way to make the back end look shorter.......

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,371 Posts
I think it looks like 2 completly different vehicles! Two for the price of one.

1. Top Up-------Street Rod :ssr

2. Top Down---Roadster :ssr

Scott 0168

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Only saw it on TV and totally feel in love with the hot rod look of a pickup!! I think the top was up but they said it was a vert and sealed it!!! Still Lovin' it.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Certainly wasn't love at first sight . . . .

My absolute first thought: "Holy crap, GM must have fired all their designers. I used to have a pickup that looked like that ! ! "

But the look wears on yah......then I saw one with the top down.....then I saw that they were taking $12K off the price....then I saw what they were allowing for my old '01 Silverado......I fell in love. ;)

I agree a shorter butt would make them look a lot more like a roadster, but since I use mine as a work truck, I would prefer an additional foot on the back (to make it easier to haul 10' sections of metal, instead of counter-weighting them all the time).

As a matter of fact, now that I've upset everybody, I think GM could sell a ton of these if they'd eliminate the convertible aspect (would free up another foot behind the driver and make the body a foot longer in back). Construction folk would buy them up like hotcakes. :)

I know, I know.....here it comes ! ! :rolleyes:

Gary (WearyEagle)

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
First reaction..? I hoped my wife did not catch me staring. Then when I went over to her and keep looking at her.. well for gawd's sake, her top was down,.. I knew she was asking for the attention. What else could I do.

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,146 Posts
First saw one on display a couple years ago at the Daytona races. My first reaction was "Wow, Now thats me!" Second was "Can I fit in one"

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Topless Caught my Eye!!!

Went to Dealer Showroom shopping for a 3rd Vette......

Sat in the SSR, put the Top Down......:ssr

Sat in the Vette.......

SSR Won!:)

RickSSR :cool

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Saw a pencil drawing in Fortune magazine in '98 or '99 - knew I was getting one right then! (Assuming that GM had the B&!!$ to actually build it!)

Didn't see a real SSR until I flew to Montana and was lead into the Service Bay at Karl Tyler Chevy to see my Slingshot Roadster...

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
right on

kwhopper89 said:
Saw a pencil drawing in Fortune magazine in '98 or '99 - knew I was getting one right then! (Assuming that GM had the B&!!$ to actually build it!)

Didn't see a real SSR until I flew to Montana and was lead into the Service Bay at Karl Tyler Chevy to see my Slingshot Roadster...
Ditto for me: saw the drawing, started saving my nickels then. Knew I had to have one if it meant selling plasma for the money.

In 2003, I bought a 99 cent model of one at Walgreens, and took it to the dealership asking "when are these coming in?". Dealer had no literature, had never seen an SSR, and asked if they could keep the model in case other customers asked.

Bought mine sight unseen over the internet, had only seen 1 from a block away on a trailer before that. No test drive, no nuthin. Just that flash of pure adrenaline and lust you get from love at first sight.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Saw it in a magazine in 2000. I wanted it then. In 2001 I bought a Z28 because no one knew if and when it would come out. I saw my first one in person in Nov 2003 while trying to negotiate down from 5k over sticker. I visited about 17 dealerships between NJ and Virginia in early 2003 and the first one a lot of those dealers saw was when I drove mine onto their lot to show it off in Dec 2003-Jan 2004.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ture Lust at first sight...

When I first saw the concept model, I knew right then that I had to have this when it came out... looked for it a long time, then saw the first ones at the auto shows in 2002 and again in 2003, and then just had to have one... so Jan 03 this year, the dream came true... Got my very own SSR. All smiles since then and total fulfillment...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Saw the concept, thought "too bad they'll never build it"
They said they would, never saw one ( 03 )
An 04 showed up at the dealer's, "too bad I'll never afford one"
Dealer says "I think we can make this work"
I can own it, oh goody goody goody ....
I do own it, yeeeehaaa

·
Premium Member
31,289 Posts
Just like the commercial!

hotrodgirl said:
Stopped dead in my tracks, mouth dropped open and I said Holy ****
But you at least didn't get your mouth washed out with soap! :jester

I can't remember the first time I saw it - probably an issue of Autoweek magzine showcasing the original concept. Ever since I was dead set on buying one.

B

·
0 Posts
1st one

My 1st one was sitting on the dealers floor since Dec 03 (2117). Usual markup of $10,000 over sticker. I went in on Friday the 13th February 2004. to buy a new work truck. Manager came up to me, said if you want I can sell SSr to you at sticker. Made the mistake of test driving it. The rest is history. The only hard part was convincing myself my 03 silverado SS supercharged was going to have to be my work truck. It didn't long long thou. :thumbs :ssr :seeya

Goes to show that friday the 13th is a lucky day.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts