Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When should the first oil change be done. My truck was sitting at the dealer almost a year prior to purchase.
My computer oil life is still high in the 80%.
Since its a new LS2 motor, should it be done very early - 1000 miles or so?
Or should I just wait until the oil life gets down below 25%, which will take awhile.
I've read somewhere the first oil change should be done early to clean out the "break in" oil and junk that might be floating around during the first 500. Fact or Fiction?

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Maybe I'm an oil "Fanatic" but I would have made them change the oil before I drove it off the lot. If it's been setting on the lot for almost a year, I'd rather waste an oil change than to chance it. But then I use only Mobil one and check it weekly. Am I paranoid????:skep

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
If I bought an SSR that had been sitting on the lot for almost a year I'd have ask the dealer to change it before I took ownership (and I'd watch them do it). That's one of the reasons I bought an 06 instead of an 05. I just didn't like the idea of a vehicle sitting that long. If I were you I'd get it changed dealer or no dealer. My .02.

:banghead :banghead :banghead​

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
woohoo said:
Maybe I'm an oil "Fanatic" but I would have made them change the oil before I drove it off the lot. If it's been setting on the lot for almost a year, I'd rather waste an oil change than to chance it. But then I use only Mobil one and check it weekly. Am I paranoid????:skep

YES You are!!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Synthetics like Mobil 1 degrade far slower than conventional oil, and should be okay after a year of very infrequent engine use. You could change it for peace of mind -- it's a relatively inexpensive thing to do.

You can be sure, if sitting on a dealer's lot for a year caused a problem, GM would have paid the dealer to change it than risk paying for a oil related warranty concern later.

Besides, a lot of dealers give you one oil change for free.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Donnysan said:
Synthetics like Mobil 1 degrade far slower than conventional oil, and should be okay after a year of very infrequent engine use. You could change it for peace of mind -- it's a relatively inexpensive thing to do.
While I agree they do degrade slower, they still degrade over time due to oxidation, which shortens oil life and promotes carbon deposits. Oxidized lubricants can create and react with contaminates such as fuel and water to produce corrosive by-products. Though Mobil 1 does perform very well in oxidation tests, as can be seen on the Thin Film Oxygen Uptake test on this indepenent lab test on my website:
Comparative Motor Oil Test,
Mobil, AMSOIL and the owner's manual state to change the oil annually.

Given your car has sat for a year, I'd suggest you ask the dealer to change the oil now.

I personally change the oil and filter in all my vehicles at about 1,000 miles to get the initial impurities out. After that, I would follow the oil life monitoring system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts