Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
My First Permagrin !
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone .
I’m going on my first road trip ,NJ to NC to Georgia, and possibly Florida. My truck is as ready as can be , all fluids have been changed, new battery and ignition switch ,new tires it’s just me that’s been holding back . I’m trying not to overthink everything but my OCD side always wins the battle . I’ve put together some tools and extra ignition switch , oil, water. So I’m wondering what extra stuff /tools have you needed too bring along for the ride ? Thanks , Dave

·
Premium Member
2,708 Posts
:smile2:

Hopefully, you can enjoy a trouble free trip. One of the extra (just in case) items I would include would be the (fuse jumper) setup. Don't have the exact details in front of me, but there are posts on here that address the problem that can come up and this jumper deal can get ya going again until fuse box repairs can be made later.:wink2:

I carry one myself along with the printed instructions as to which fuses are involved.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,764 Posts
A roll of gorilla tape or duct tape and a gallon of clean water. Also make sure you have good wiper blades and I would hit the windshield before I left with some Rain X. When I drive one of my older cars I have an emergency tool bag with a lot of little stuff in it like wire, crimpers, ends, fuses, hose clamps, splice tubes, bolts nuts, washers.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,808 Posts
Hi Everyone .
I’m going on my first road trip ,NJ to NC to Georgia, and possibly Florida. My truck is as ready as can be , all fluids have been changed, new battery and ignition switch ,new tires it’s just me that’s been holding back . I’m trying not to overthink everything but my OCD side always wins the battle . I’ve put together some tools and extra ignition switch , oil, water. So I’m wondering what extra stuff /tools have you needed too bring along for the ride ? Thanks , Dave
Take your computer or a phone with access to this site so if you get in a bind you can call for help and let us know where you are and what your problem is.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Oh one other thing take a look at the heater hoses and how they are routed. Some had a problem with them resting on the upper shock mount and can rub through. My 05 did this and Dictator said it happened to others as well. I was lucky and it happened close to home when mine busted open. It can be hard to see because the over flow tank is hiding them.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,641 Posts
Tools and all that are a good idea but you should also have a phone, credit card and towing insurance because most things will not be worked on, on the side of the road. Even a simple thing like a flat. Good luck and safe motoring.

Reactions: Jersey red

·
My First Permagrin !
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the info .
Im just not used to traveling and probably just overthinking every detail .
Up until 5 years ago I wouldn't think twice and go , now is a different story .
I'm leaving out of NJ on Friday 1/4/19 and heading to Raleigh NC . around 8 hr trip.
staying there till Sunday 1/6/19 heading to Perry Ga . Around 7 hr trip .
If all goes well I might keep going South toward Tampa Florida end of January then onto Lake worth Florida .
I have family and Friends along the way , and hope to meet up with as many of my new SSR family as I can arrange .

Thanks again. Dave

·
Daily Driver
8,980 Posts
Im just not used to traveling and probably just overthinking every detail .
Yeah, you probably are. If something happens it probably wouldn't be one of the things you planned for anyway. But don't feel bad, we all do it to some extent because damn few people know how to fix this thing they've never heard of, and only vaguely remember seeing one back onto a moving trailer in the commercial.

So relax and enjoy the trip, you'll cope with anything that comes up. Worrying about things that don't happen is like having to pay for a meal you didn't get to eat.
So as mentioned a AAA card, and a phone to call them, is smart.
Also a change of underwear, and a pocket full of Benjamins can't hurt. :cheers

·
Premium Member
4,265 Posts
Enjoy the drive.

You have an '05 automobile. It's not a '55 hot rod.

Nothing is expected to go wrong. Sounds like you have covered all your bases. Do you have a jack and wrench and block and spare tire? Other wise I would say you are good to go.

The engine is not exotic nor is the transmission. You changed fluids etc..

Just enjoy the drive.

Dave

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Dave, sounds like fun. As Bruce says, if something does go wrong, it likely won't be something you're prepared for. Just have the cell, AAA card and cash. I've done several long distance road trips the past few years in my R. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it across country today. Oh wait... maybe I'd wait for the some warmer weather. It's 15 degrees here and the roads are ice packed right now. Enjoy your trip!!!!

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,641 Posts
Keep an eye on the weather going and coming home . When I bought mine I thought I could drive it home from Texas no problem but got caught in whiteout conditions snow storm in Nebraska. The SSR being so low and the wide tires and power, doesn't do so good on snow and ice. Spent an extra day there and it all melted off and made it home nicely. Have a good trip.

Reactions: Jersey red

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Like Auggie when I went out to California to get my 05 I didn't think anything about wipers and the seller didn't because he didn't drive it in the rain out there. I got hit with rain on everyday of the return trip home except one. Luckily the wipers are standard stuff on the 05. Got a pair of blades at a truck stop for $3 each. Enjoy the trip.

·
My First Permagrin !
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have mikes spare tire kit , AAA , credit cards, cell phone, some cash . The weather is in the 40-50 and possibly rain so she will get a bath on the way . I’m on no real time schedule so it makes it easier to watch the weather and take it from there . Today and tomorrow is start to pack . Thanks again for all the input and well wishes. Dave

·
Premium Member
40,859 Posts
Dave don't get yourself all worked up, sounds like your in good shape, your biggest concern is all the idiots on the road. Now relax and go on your road trip and enjoy yourself, your chevy will be just fine. Take some pictures and let follow you on your road trip. Enjoy!

:black:
:purple:
Krazy Ed

·
Registered
6 Posts
This will sound a little crazy, but my first trip in my 04 was somewhat unique. I found it in Anchorage Alaska, and after trying to arrange shipment to my home in Phoenix with no success I decided to drive it home.
I changed the oil and aligned the front end and balanced the tires, grabbed my bag and passport and headed out. 46 hours later @(2600) miles I was in Tacoma Washington at my son's house Got her all cleaned up and left for Phoenix. Got home about 20 hours later. Approx. 4500 miles averaged 20.8 miles per gallon. The only problem I had was getting around the people looking at it at several stops in Alaska and Yukon Territory. There are not many SSR's on the alcan highway

I have made many trips up and down that route and this one was definitely the most enjoyable

When I bought her she had 15,600 miles on her ,now has just shy of 23000

Added Mike's cooling fan and air dam otherwise she is all stock mechanically I enjoy driving more each time I take her out

·
Slingshot Rules!
77,444 Posts
I have mikes spare tire kit , AAA , credit cards, cell phone, some cash . The weather is in the 40-50 and possibly rain so she will get a bath on the way . I’m on no real time schedule so it makes it easier to watch the weather and take it from there . Today and tomorrow is start to pack . Thanks again for all the input and well wishes. Dave
Good Luck and Safe Trip, Dave.

While you're out and about looking for good weather, swing by Southern Arizona and I'll buy Lunch.

! :banana ! :cheers ! :banana ! :cheers ! :banana !

1 - 20 of 81 Posts