Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the SSR out in the plowed snow today. Mostly compacted snow with the typical slush filled intersections. I was amazed how well the rear driver did. Not so much as a slip, however the traction control message was getting a workout.
I guess TC systems have come a long way. A friend of mine had a 5 series BMW in the late 90's and he told me the TC in that was worthless.
At least I need not to fear if I don't have my wife's FX at my use or until i get to SC for good.

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
Fiveoh said:
Had the SSR out in the plowed snow today. Mostly compacted snow with the typical slush filled intersections. I was amazed how well the rear driver did. Not so much as a slip, however the traction control message was getting a workout.
I guess TC systems have come a long way. A friend of mine had a 5 series BMW in the late 90's and he told me the TC in that was worthless.
At least I need not to fear if I don't have my wife's FX at my use or until i get to SC for good.
Nice. I'll file that info away just in case I get relo'd again. Just be careful out there with all the other driver gawking - you are top down right??

In the meantime, sunny and 75 degrees here.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Fiveoh said:
The TC in the SSR is even a big step up from my 2001 Z28. When the Camaro starts slipping it seems like the only thing it does is kick the accelerator back at you....like you're having a fight with it. The SSR reduces the engine power without kicking back the accelerator. The thing that I had to get used to with the SSR is that if you hit the gas and the TC kicks in you can find yourself being thrown forward a little bit.....mostly becuase you are expecting to be pushed back in your seat because you think you are going to accelerate....yet the truck is slowing down like you are braking, so you lean forward like you are braking hard. Sort of scared me the first time it happened.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Driving in the snow and ice. Makes me cringe just thinking about it (all of that salt on the roads). The biggest fear here on the roads is getting sunburned. Gotta have the sunblock in the glove compartment. I have to turn that traction control off at the stoplights when a ricer pulls up...

·
Registered
213 Posts
I find that I am the only SSR about here in my area of Ohio since many folks don't drive theirs year round. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
rj5620 said:
I find that I am the only SSR about here in my area of Ohio since many folks don't drive theirs year round. :)
Richard,

Just so you know, I'm out there with you. I just bought a new 05 Yellow SSR 6 speed and I've been driving it in the Cincinnati area too. Several trips to the car wash so far!! I live in Blue Ash. My other car is a convertible Corvette, so if it snows too much I guess I'll stay home!!

I haven't seen any others this winter either.

Griff

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
Griffs SSR said:
Richard,

Just so you know, I'm out there with you. I just bought a new 05 Yellow SSR 6 speed and I've been driving it in the Cincinnati area too. Several trips to the car wash so far!! I live in Blue Ash. My other car is a convertible Corvette, so if it snows too much I guess I'll stay home!!

I haven't seen any others this winter either.

Griff

CAR WASH ! :eek

Read your Manual Please... Ooohh Lordy Missy Please pass me the smellin salts..

·
Registered
9 Posts
No, not the automatic car wash.....only manual, meaning a sponge in one hand and a spray hose in the other. I've never used an auto wash for any of my vehicles, and would never consider one for my SSR. I know better.

But I do appreciate your concern and warning to others!!

Griff

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
The automatic car wash is the only way mine gets cleaned twice a year :glol :glol

·
Yes, I have an ATTITUDE !
1,678 Posts
WOW_FCTR said:
The automatic car wash is the only way mine gets cleaned twice a year :glol :glol
You mean you let yours sit out in the RAIN !!:eek :eek :eek :eek

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Devastator said:
You mean you let yours sit out in the RAIN !!:eek :eek :eek :eek
Rain, sun, snow,wind, hot, cold.....and the house I just moved into seems to be right in the flight line of Canadian Geese......hey can you Canadians take back your geese? :jester :glol

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mines a daily driver as well.... I find turning the TC off when it's slick out is a whole lot better than having it go on and off all the time, gives me the control not the sensors. As far as washing it..... well she's got a pretty good two tone on her at the moment:eek , but once the roads clear again it will go to the showers. I'll blast the underside and engine after the second spring rain.(when the road salt is gone) No garage jewelry for me.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
mikepowell said:
....well sorta:rolleyes:
I couldn't park black beauty:eek
gotta drive:flag
p.s. how do you like my parking job?:jester

Eventhough I've been driving in the snow...I haven't tried to pull that kind of a stunt, yet :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts