Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leonard Chevrolet did an excellent job, too. The parts they ordered came in Tuesday prior to Thanksgiving (one week from the day I had her over for their tech to check out the issues -- 1-2 shift belt sueal, drive shaft, and those idiots at Schein Chevrolet who installed '04 guages in qan '05 SSR.)

First, I am EXTREMELY pleased that the correct gauges are in, and work. To give you some idea of the annoying, frustrating time I had with Schein, my selling dealer, they received, and sent back THREE sets of '05 gauges, each time telling me that "somebody stole something out of the box" or "a part was missing." There was no part missing, what they didn't understand was everthing they needed to install was ALREADY on my SSR, and all they had to do was remove the '04 gauge pod, plug in the '05 pod, and it was done. I guess the instructions refer to a sensor of some kind, and they thought there was supposed to be one in the box.

Now, let me put this in perspective. My '05 was in Schein's inventory for one full year. I can cut them some slack, that their techs or make ready people may not have been trained that there was a difference between the '04 and '05 SSR gauge package. But, it's reasonable that whoever installed the gauges would notice THAT THEY DIDN'T WORK, don't you think? Oh, the voltmeter worked, but the other two gauges, other than lighting up and doing that little startup routine, sat pegged to the left deader n a doornail. I noticed they didn't work on the test drive. Nobody at the dealership, not the saleman, service department, dealer, whoever, noticed the gauges were wrong and didn't work. I even had to argue with the service writer and show him in the owner's manual they were the wrong gauges, and even then he kept thinking they were IC gauges, not the auxiliary ones. Yeesh.

The alternator, as has been posted before, is a different design than the factory installed alternator. It's clutched and disengages under WOT, similar to the one on my Marauder. I can see the voltmeter jump when it disengages, then reingages. It makes an audible click as well. The weathe has been crap, so iI haven't heard any spooling sounds,

The drive shaft has been replaced as well, and the tink is gone. Yes, I realise it will probably reappear, but for now, I can enjoy tink-free motoring. :)

There are at least three other SSR's in the Birmingham area. So, if you live in central or northern AL, where do you take your SSR for service?

BTW, the only SSR Leonard has in inventory is an 05 Red, reg-taged at $41,300 from a sticker of $49,074, plus a $6,000 rebate or low financing.

·
Banned
183 Posts
Well I had this same problem when I got my cluster on ebay. Mind you I only paid $178 for my new cluster but I also saw in the manual where it said to install a Sensor-ASM to the front bumper with an enclosed clip. All that was there was a plastic clip but no sensor. Someone here thankfully said that it was already pre installed on 2005 models. I could see how your dealer could think something was missing however. My Dealer wanted to charge 4 hours labor to install the cluster so I just did it myself. It really was not that bad, removing the carpet padding was the worst part of it really.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IllinoisSSR said:
Well I had this same problem when I got my cluster on ebay. Mind you I only paid $178 for my new cluster but I also saw in the manual where it said to install a Sensor-ASM to the front bumper with an enclosed clip. All was there clip and all but no sensor. Someone here thankfully said that it was already pre installed on 2005 models. I could see how your dealer could think something was missing however.
I could forgive them the error if they had sense enough to check with Chevrolet >before< sending back gauge pod number 2 and 3.

Also, the tech at Leonard had no similar problem, since he had installed other '05 pods. See, that's my point. Schein is into the '06 model year, yet their experience with SSR's is so slight that a year after a truck is in their possession, they still can't solve small stuff like auxiliary gauges.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts