Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wrong info about - Fix for cut in pad where top goes in 06 model

Update (9/26/05) 4:30 PM East coast time:

I took my car into the dealer and looked at the pad again.

I made a mistake. The 06 has the same pad. The flat spot I saw in the pad is the same as in our 03s,04s, and 05s. I mistook that as to where the cut was on my car and the others I saw at HomeComing. So, bottom line is that they still haven't done anything about the cuts in the pad for the 06s or older cars.

I'm still getting it replaced but its just going to do it again. I'll let Chevy worry about the replacements.

Sorry about that.

Carl

So the information below about a fix is wrong.

I don't know how else to explain it, but awhile ago there was a thread about a problem when the top is opened you get cuts being made in the pad at the corners in the bottom of compartment from the top being lowered into it. You normally wouldn't see the cuts unless you stop in the lowering cycle and look down into the compartment. You might have two diagonal cuts in the corners of the pad.

I replied during the thread that at HomeComing that had I brought this to some of the Tech's attention and that they said that they weren't aware about it.

This weekend I was able to look at an 06 model and I see where they have changed the pad and now have two spaces in the pad for where the top goes and it shouldn't cut into the pad any more. When I showed the cuts in my car at HomeComing we checked other SSRs that were there including an 05 and they had the same cuts, including the 05 too.

Since there were 06's at the HomeComing I should of had the Tech's look at an 06 to see if there was any fixes for the cuts but at the time I didn't think about it because they seemed totally unaware of the problem. Apparently Chevy knew of the problem and they fixed it in the 06's. So if you go to your dealer with the cut problem make sure you tell them you want the latest pad with the fixed pad from the 06 model.

Carl

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hello Carl,
Thanks, I didnt know about the cuts until another memeber here mentioned it.
Sure enough my 03 had huge cuts in them. I had the dealer replace the pad last week.

Since then I bought 2 cheap black rubber mouse pads and put them on each side to protect my top and the new pad. They do not move because of the rubber backing. Just my quick fix ;)

Cheers !
Pretzel~

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good idea for a fix

After talking to the Techs at HomeComing I wasn't going to bring it into the dealer for a replacement because I knew that it would not solve the problem and the new pad would just get cuts like the old one.

The Tech's said they could adjust the top so it didn't lower down as much and cut the pad. But I thought why let the dealer start playing with that? Probably they would just screw up and make the top rattle now because it's not supported as well as when it was lower and cut the pad.

I thought I'd wait until something came out about a fix. When I saw the 06 I thought, great they got the fix now, so I'll bring it in. I didn't realize the spots I looked at weren't in the right location and there was no fix with the 06 until I brought it to the dealer. There I realized my mistake, but too late, so I might as well get a new pad anyway.

I was thinking about doing my own fix and your's is just what I was looking for. I thought about putting something where the cuts are being made but I just couldn't think of the right material. Originally, I thought of some sort of tape, or a piece of an old inner tube, but your idea of an old mouse pad is great, and it doesn't move.

Once I have mine replaced I'll try it and hopefully save the new pad from any cuts.

Thanks
Carl

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.