Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '98 Vette with 50k on the clock. (e-mail if interested ;) ) I was just wondering, besides the killer looks of this vehicle (SSR), what made you go with it? How has it treated you guys and gals? What are your honest pros and cons on the SSR? Any responses would be awesome, thanks!

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Looks sold me, but after driving it, there is nothing to compare it too, it is fast (fast enough) it rides great, it is downright fun and sexy( oh here we are back to looks)

I have had no mechanical problems. few leaks which were adjusted and fixed. The tink from the driveshaft, non mechanical but annoying. Great all weather ride.and easy to personalize, but could be expensive depending on what you want, there is not alot out there yet.
I will never get rid of my SSR!

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,065 Posts
SSRFORSURE,

Boy, have you asked for the dissertation on this one.......... I'll give my 2 cents quick and get out of the way.

This vehicle attracts attention wherever you go. There is NO incognito.

They have real personality (tinks, quirks and whatever aside...) that make them unique. Kinda like the personality that the early 60's vettes had.

We love ours. Lots of "pros" and I chalk up the "cons" to the personality of the vehicle.

Drive one for more than a couple blocks and notice the stares. Put the top down at a stoplight. Stop at Home Depot and park next to the other "trucks". Load up a weeks groceries in the back. Do a 55 to 85 passing maneuver. Smile at the 350Z owner that wishes he was driving it.

It's all good. It's all about how you feel when you drive one.

You'll be hooked soon............

Best Regards,

Addicted

·
Registered
480 Posts
:seeya I too had a Vette several years ago but when I bought my 05 SSR last December, I sold a 97 BMW 540I Sport. I was tired of cars and wanted a truck. I also test drove the new C5 but as I said I already owned a Vette and it didn't do anything for me. Way to many of them on the roads for my taste. The SSR is a great vehicle and from 2005 and on they have made some big improvements. You're going to love it. It's special and makes you feel special driving it. It has plenty of power, comfort and the styling just won't quit. It has a little of this and a little of that and is the best vehicle I have ever owned. Maybe not so much with quality, although the quality of my 05 is great, but with the pure joy of driving it, looking at it and just a good all around feeling of owning it. It gets a ton of attention and if I was not such a happily married man, man could I have some fun. It's a chick magnate. You should get $12,000 -15,000 off of sticker. Shop it hard before you buy and use the info from our site for your best deal. Consider the orange Anniversary model that might be coming out. That is if you like orange. I am an Aqua Blur man myself. Good luck and don't fret, it's a good decision to own one and who knows over the years it might even appreciate in value once they stop making them. It's going to be a classic! Maybe.

·
Registered
643 Posts
My 2-Cents

Congratulations, and welcome! Not only have you chosen the best vehicle, but this is also the best car forum! You'll get all the advice you ever need. As for me:
Pros - The most attention I've ever had in any vehicle (and I've owned/and or driven just about everything with wheels). The biggest trunk of any sports car.
The most comfortable seats. The hands-down best value!
Cons - The most attention I've ever had in any vehicle (I can't pull it out of the garage without people stopping and wanting to talk about it). The biggest trunk of any sports car (at shows all my friends want to put their stuff in my trunk because it won't fit in theirs). The most comfortable seats ( once I'm behind the wheel I don't want to get out - I'm thinking of putting a flat screen tv on my garage wall). The hands-down best value (I'm tempted to buy another one just because they're such a good deal).

Good Luck, and Drive Safe!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Sell the Vette

My wife sold her 95 Vette - soft top - for her 04 SSR and hasn't regretted it a single day. I got rid of my Dodge Ram for my 05 SSR and haven't regretted it a single day. All the above posted pros apply - they're just almost too much fun! :yesnod

·
Registered
5 Posts
SSR's Are Great Get one!!

SSR kid & I Have two SSR's we love them!! You will to. Hope you get one. Your SSR friend, SSR kid & Joys SSr

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It sounds awesome, guys and gals. What kind of modifications have y'all done so far to your SSR? I'm thinking of going for a purple or a black truck. I want to put ghost flames on her. Any pics of this? I was also wondering what to replace as far as exhaust, wheels, or anything else y'all might think could be modded. Afterall I'm a Vette guy at heart... and there was so much I never got to do to it. Alright... anyone?

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Well I've had mine a few weeks; what did I get rid of? A black 2004 350Z Touring Coupe with burnt orange interior with 2.700 miles. I saw one sitting for several months out by my Z dealer. One day I stopped to look at it out of curiosity, all of a sudden one of the sales vultures rushed out to talk to me about the vehicle. He asked me if I would like to drive it. I said sure. At the time I'm not sure I even knew it was a hardtop convertible; I also had no idea it had a vette engine. After about two months of researching the SSR. checking out the prices of the 05's. going to more dealers than I care to mention and waiting for GM to break down the price some more I made the move. Oh and also after spending countless hours of being a voyeur on this site and asking questions and doing a lot of PM's to the knowledgable members of ths site another SSR Fanatic was born. I own (with pride I must add) a 2006 SSR Smokin Asphalt to go with my 2006 Black HHR and my Black 2004 Infiniti QX 56.

I have only one regret about owning my SSR​

Chicago During The Winter​

·
Registered
21 Posts
Have a 99 C5 Corvette with only 11K miles which I bought new...can't get the wife to go anywhere in it!! ... "to low, to noisy, can't get in/out, no space for stuff, yada yada" We both like the new 05 SSR and we are driving it a bunch! The 6 speed is way cool. I haven't been brave enough to drive it in Michigan snow yet, however...any recommendations for snow tires/wheels? I will sell the C5 in the spring for sure.

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
S..t Eatin Grin

:ssr Well I think everyone coverd just about every reason to buy or not to buy an SSR.
My only regret is Michigan during the winter along with SS My R.

I fell in love with the SSR at the Auto Show and said then that I would have one. My reasons are simple the style, flare,excitement and fun of the SSR. I have never been a huge car fan but this ride as changed my outlook on life as well as cars.
I have been a huge fan of the vette's also. I could have bought a vette but the SSR fullied all my needs and still does today.

It is a head turning, thumbs up people meeting machine. The ear to ear S..t eatin grin that comes along with it make's your mouth hurt from smiling so damn much.

I have had very little trouble with my SSR and that makes the experience of owning one all the more better. Now all I have to do is move to warmer climate so I can drive it all year. :ssr

I plan on someday having a vette along with the SSR :thumbs

·
Registered
615 Posts
SSR4SURE said:
I have a '98 Vette with 50k on the clock. (e-mail if interested ;) ) I was just wondering, besides the killer looks of this vehicle (SSR), what made you go with it? How has it treated you guys and gals? What are your honest pros and cons on the SSR? Any responses would be awesome, thanks!
I would say after being here for awhile 95% pro's and 5% con's. It is like drivng a dual quad 409 63 Impala, heavy-toquey-fast. Plan to be interrogated by Men, Women and Kids about your ride. All age groups of both sexes are attacted to the machine. Top down cruising, makes it worth every dollar. Better than average ***.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Best vehicle purchased so far

Hands down the best truck I bought. No regrets. For some reason, its attracts lots of comments from females. I've talked to more women asking about my truck than any vehicle I've owned (don't tell my wife). :rolleyes:

You'll be one of only maybe 20,000+ in the world after they shut down the Leasing plant in 06.

Has quarks but nothing to cry about. Read "the SSR experience" and you will get a good review and modification overview. Do a search on this site.

Right now you can get good pricing on 05 SSRs, just check around and get the best price. That being said, I did not haggle for mine because, I felt its the best thing one earth and the sales guy knew that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I own both a 99 C5 Hardtop and just bought a 03 SSR, i would rather drive the SSR everyday than the C5. The only draw back is the lack of power, i wish they had put the ls1 in when they started making them back in 03, but the car has killer looks and it still a fun ride. :cheers

·
Banned
183 Posts
I traded my 2004 Corvette Coupe with 5000 miles on it. Im not sorry at all. Just dont expect the SSR to be as "rigid" as the C5 with the top off. Im totally in love with my trucklet its really awsome and it has more utility just in case you need it. BUY ONE. The LS2 engine is just awsome.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I do not compare my 2000 Corvette and my 2004 SSR.

They are apples and oranges.

Monday thur Saturday I have a really good time going to work and job sites.

Sundays and longggggg road trips are the greatest with my Corvette friends.

Life is short
Drive a Hot Rod

Skip :flag

·
Registered
98 Posts
Dont buy it; or else.....

The cons for me are many:

10. Having to talk to the 60 year old woman asking questions when Im at the grocery store.

9. Having to pop the hood for the 18 year old at Target.

8. Voice getting tired of saying "Thanks" while driving it.

7. Voice getting tired of saying "No, its a Chevy".

6. Asking small childern and women to please step back as Im backing out of my space at the post office.

5. "No its not a Hemi"

4. "Yes thats like a big trunk in the back"

3. Having to "get on it" for a dad and son while departing the gas station

2. Causing a rear end collision in the opposit lane of traffic.

1. Cleaning the hand and nose prints off the windows each day.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts