Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably just me but the flat square threaded nuts that (supposedly) slide into the 2 siderails are kicking my butt! - :crying:

Am I doing this wrong? I removed the plastic end clip (near tailgate) but the nuts seem too big to go into the rails. These are the nuts that receive the screws that tighten down the cargo crossbar. Do I need another part or is there a fix? Can they be filed down to slide in easier? Can they be installed at the other end of the 2 rails? (Near to the front end). Thx for any direction. - :nerd:

================
David :black:

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,570 Posts
I have not movedd mine in years but seems to me that I found them to be rectangles (not squares) and they fit one way but are too wide the other way. Try rotating 90 degrees. They are also not flat so make sure they are in with the thread off the bottom of the track. This allows the short bolt to reach the thread. It may not be long enough if the nut is upside down. This is just my recollection so please correct me if I am wrong.

Reactions: Warrior=='06

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,328 Posts
When I put in the carpet kit I had to slip the passengers side in from the front. With the Tupperware liner they would go in from the back but not with the carpet kit installed and only on the passengers side.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
I have not movedd mine in years but seems to me that I found them to be rectangles (not squares) and they fit one way but are too wide the other way. Try rotating 90 degrees. They are also not flat so make sure they are in with the thread off the bottom of the track. This allows the short bolt to reach the thread. It may not be long enough if the nut is upside down. This is just my recollection so please correct me if I am wrong.
:|

I totally agree with this explanation of how they are inserted and work. I don't understand the carpet problem. Mine already had full carpeting on sides and floor. Once you remove the plastic end piece, those slightly curved nuts should slide right into the rail as described above.:wink2:

·
Tech Support/Research
1,735 Posts
Cargo Area Side Rail Nuts

You might have to loosen (but not remove) all of the Torx head fasteners that secure the side rails to the bed and move the rails away from the bed slightly so you will have enough room to slide the flat nuts in, and yes, on a carpeted truck it's often easier to do this from the front.

The same fastener loosening process also applies to installing the plastic end caps on the rails if there is not enough room to slide them in with the rails secured.

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 6 replies above are a good example of why this Forum is the best (& friendliest) on the net. - 0:)

Thanks guys for the direction. As soon as the rain lets up a bit you'll find me in the garage!! - :thumbs

==============

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,016 Posts
The 6 replies above are a good example of why this Forum is the best (& friendliest) on the net. - 0:)

Thanks guys for the direction. As soon as the rain lets up a bit you'll find me in the garage!! - :thumbs

==============
Is it Raining in your Garage?
I can recommend a good Roofer!!
>:)

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't be Hatin', Greg

Is it Raining in your Garage?
I can recommend a good Roofer!!
>:)
===========================================
Yep, I really want to thank you 6 guys who gave me helpful direction!! -- But as you can see there's always one in every crowd!!! - >:)

Greg, are you going to be able to make the Ship Channel Cruise later this month?!?!!? Ya gotta go, buddy! - :yellow: :banana

<■>■<■> - Oh and BTW, what is the # of that roofer??!?!! - :blush-anim-cl: :glol - Have a safe fun 4th, my friend. - :flag

=================
2018-06-09-13-03-19--1175537910.png

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
===========================================
Yep, I really want to thank you 6 guys who gave me helpful direction!! -- But as you can see there's always one in every crowd!!! - >:)

Greg, are you going to be able to make the Ship Channel Cruise later this month?!?!!? Ya gotta go, buddy! - :yellow: :banana

<■>■<■> - Oh and BTW, what is the # of that roofer??!?!! - :blush-anim-cl: :glol - Have a safe fun 4th, my friend. - :flag

=================
View attachment 526643
David did you try a bigger hammer? :laugh::laugh::laugh: Loosen the track at the end to move it a tad bit away from the curve the bed should do the trick.

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
David did you try a bigger hammer? :laugh::laugh::laugh: Loosen the track at the end to move it a tad bit away from the curve the bed should do the trick.
=================================

Okay Bill, so once I loosen the track that's when I bring out "my BIG hammer??!?!!" - :grin2:

You guys are a hoot. Thanks for the good tips and the laughs!! - :smile2:

===============

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Even with My Carpet installed, my flat, rectangular nuts slide into the side rails easily and the shorter D rings fit too hold my hard Saddlebags in place. No modifications were needed. I do however, if anyone has spare ones, need six of the flat headed bolts that slip into the bottom rails and hold the hard Saddlebags in place. I have the Plastic Nuts for the inside of them , but not the rail bolts. Anyone have those or have an idea where too find them?

Thanks

·
Tech Support/Research
1,735 Posts
Saddlebag Retainer Bolts

Even with My Carpet installed, my flat, rectangular nuts slide into the side rails easily and the shorter D rings fit too hold my hard Saddlebags in place. No modifications were needed. I do however, if anyone has spare ones, need six of the flat headed bolts that slip into the bottom rails and hold the hard Saddlebags in place. I have the Plastic Nuts for the inside of them , but not the rail bolts. Anyone have those or have an idea where too find them?

Thanks
Look here: http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f99/ssr-hard-saddle-storage-boxes-no-hardware-no-problem-44455/

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So is it easier to slide the rectangular nuts in from the tailgate end or the cab end of the side rails? - :nerd:

===========

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,328 Posts
On my 04 with the plastic tub it was easier to go from the tail gate end. When I put the carpet kit in the drivers side still went in from the tail gate end but the passengers side it was easier to go from the cab side. So there is that useless information from my truck anyway. I think if they get over tightened they are hard to get in from the tailgate end but easier from the cab end.

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On my 04 with the plastic tub it was easier to go from the tail gate end. When I put the carpet kit in the drivers side still went in from the tail gate end but the passengers side it was easier to go from the cab side. So there is that useless information from my truck anyway. I think if they get over tightened they are hard to get in from the tailgate end but easier from the cab end.
==========================================
No, actually St. Louie I do apreciate your input. My bed is carpeted so I guess I'll just try both to see the easiest way to achieve the results I'm looking for.

★★★ - Does anyone recall what TORX size is needed to loosen the side rails up just a bit?

===============

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Wish mine had the bar and net.Only thing mine is missing. Have to remedy that quickly.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts