Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not having a spare tire and If I should get a flat tire while traveling In the open country, The last thing I would not want to have happen, Is to have my R loaded onto a trailer with It being so low to the ground especially with the front spoiler. I can just Imagine a person hooking a chain onto the R and thinking It can be pulled onto the trailer without doing front end damage.Has anyone used the spray cans for temporarley putting air Into the tire and being able to get to the next town to have the tire fixed. I do not plan on having a spare tire. If this Is something that would work, It seems that alot of SSR owners would want to carry a can with them when they travel. Thanks Donny Two Shoes

·
Premium Member
9,563 Posts
Your SSR.. should have a compressor and fix a flat soultion behind the drivers seat... that said a lot of us have chose to carry a real spare...a tailblazer.. spare fits just fine.. easily bought at most salvage yards..do a search for more information

·
Premium Member
9,296 Posts
Not having a spare tire and If I should get a flat tire while traveling In the open country, The last thing I would not want to have happen, Is to have my R loaded onto a trailer with It being so low to the ground especially with the front spoiler. I can just Imagine a person hooking a chain onto the R and thinking It can be pulled onto the trailer without doing front end damage.Has anyone used the spray cans for temporarley putting air Into the tire and being able to get to the next town to have the tire fixed. I do not plan on having a spare tire. If this Is something that would work, It seems that alot of SSR owners would want to carry a can with them when they travel. Thanks Donny Two Shoes
Donny, I would recommend staying away from the goop. If you stop with the puncture at the top, the only way the goop can work is for it to work its way around the inside of the tire by rolling the truck. Hard to do while you're trying to get air into it. If the puncture is towards the outer edge of the tire, the goop might not get there at all.

Next issue is that the goop is a latex rubber, and gets extremely sticky as it dries. Most shops won't repair a tire that has been gooped.

I keep a small tire repair kit in the truck. It consists of a round rasp to clean out the damaged area, some glue, rubber plugs and an installation tool to push the rubber plug into the puncture and seal it. Back in the old days of being a service station flunkie, we used those plugs for permanent repairs, and they generally held up nicely.

You just need to get some air into the tire so you can find the puncture if it isn't obvious. I keep a small jack and a torque handle and socket in the truck, because it is quite easy to find a hole with the tire removed. Much more difficult with the tire still installed.

That reminds me that I should get a fresh repair kit - the original one is 10 plus years old, and has never been used. The glue is still sealed so should be fine, but for the 10 bucks or so, I'll get a fresh kit this spring.

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
also remember all the cans and plugs won't fix a large hole.
I have the OEM compressor and goop, a Plug kit and a spare so I should have it covered.
I keep the spare, Plug kit in the bed along with the jack, lugnut wrench and a few other items all stored in the spare.
Future project will be mounting the spare under the bed.

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
Flaash ...EXCELLENT ADVICE !!! When I worked at Bud's Tire, the guys workin' in the shop absolutely hated to see a flat come in with that "GOOP" in it. I did away with my Spare, it just took up too much room when the wife and I was traveling. Since her recent Heart Attack, we'll probably only make a couple of trips in 2018. But ... I will be getting a Repair Kit and I do carry a Floor Jack plus exploring the possibility of a TrailBlazer wheel. tennesseecozydog :ssr and hopefully a :purple: one is in my future.

So Donny, take the Flaash Man's advice.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,997 Posts
If you discover the low tire or a nail while parked, you can save the tire...... If, on the other hand, you have the cruise control set at 75 when the tire gets low on air, you're screwed. The first indication will be when the torque converter unlocks because of the tire drag. By the time you get stopped, the sidewall is junk. Trust me, I know...... happened to me about 30 years ago.....

I do carry my plugging tool and compressor with me when I travel, though.

Wish we had factory TPMS......

Regards,

Mike

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,734 Posts
Donny, I would recommend staying away from the goop. If you stop with the puncture at the top, the only way the goop can work is for it to work its way around the inside of the tire by rolling the truck. Hard to do while you're trying to get air into it. If the puncture is towards the outer edge of the tire, the goop might not get there at all.

Next issue is that the goop is a latex rubber, and gets extremely sticky as it dries. Most shops won't repair a tire that has been gooped.

I keep a small tire repair kit in the truck. It consists of a round rasp to clean out the damaged area, some glue, rubber plugs and an installation tool to push the rubber plug into the puncture and seal it. Back in the old days of being a service station flunkie, we used those plugs for permanent repairs, and they generally held up nicely.

You just need to get some air into the tire so you can find the puncture if it isn't obvious. I keep a small jack and a torque handle and socket in the truck, because it is quite easy to find a hole with the tire removed. Much more difficult with the tire still installed.

That reminds me that I should get a fresh repair kit - the original one is 10 plus years old, and has never been used. The glue is still sealed so should be fine, but for the 10 bucks or so, I'll get a fresh kit this spring.
I replaced my oem glue soon after I purchased my R and after I noticed that the date on the glue bottle had expired. The direct replacement from GM parts that I ordered is not the same size as the original, but it will work.

Dave

·
Premium Member
19,614 Posts
Wife’s birthday tomorrow and she gets a cold today . The oldest son his wife and I were going to take her to dinner Saturday , hope she feels better in the morning . Fed her some hot bbq pork won ton soup. And sent that lil sickie to bed

·
Registered
339 Posts
I added a spare and in addition to my compressor carried a kit that I made up which included: chocks, gloves, Gojo, tarp, ATD-7462 2 ton scissor jack, plywood board for under jack, Torin Extendable lug wrench, tire plug kit.

Never had to use spare or kit, but the options were there.:smile2:

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Temp Tire

I carry my temp tire under the truck in the back. It is called Mike's Spare Tire Kit. It comes with install instructions, neat little jack, lug socket, extension, ratchet, and hubcap tool in a nice carry case. I added a 12v. jack and impact wrench. I hope I never need it.

Jack

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,907 Posts
:agree with Mike in Az. Happened on a rear on our way to Kerryville Int'l. The Low Profile tires don't give much of a chance to realize a tire has gone flat. By the time I was able to pull off the Fwy, the sidewall was toasted. Thanks that Commet was following us ! They carried Mike's Spare Kit. On the way home from Denison Int'l, picked up a screw in the tread, but was long enough to angle over and destroy the sidewall from the INside of the tire. Can of Goop would Not have helped in either case. Good the screw gave me time to make it home before going completely flat. After the first flat, I added Mike's Spare Kit. Haven't had to use it, but it's there now, just in case I or anyone else needs it. Also, the trunk space is wide open for enough stuff for a 3 to 4 week trip ! Bonus !!! Hope this helps..... (have over 128K on the clock and only 2 issues, I think that's pretty good)

Reactions: shakatak

·
Premium Member
9,563 Posts
I also have installed Mike's kit , for a couple of years for long trips I got the correct spare and put it in the bed, also found a Jeep outside spare cover and covered the Jeep logo with the Chevy bowtie ...looked ok in the bed..
Still have that if anyone needs it

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,344 Posts
I have the first production unit of Mike's Spare Tire Kit which was installed on my way to Maggie Valley in 2009 (the beginning of my Road trip to Kerrville). I have used it several times but have also found that the TPMS I installed has allowed me to run with a slow leak and use the pump to refill on short stops until I get where I can safely change the tire or get it repaired. Two of the best purchases I have made for safe travels.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
I have the first production unit of Mike's Spare Tire Kit which was installed on my way to Maggie Valley in 2009 (the beginning of my Road trip to Kerrville). I have used it several times but have also found that the TPMS I installed has allowed me to run with a slow leak and use the pump to refill on short stops until I get where I can safely change the tire or get it repaired. Two of the best purchases I have made for safe travels.
Curious as to what brand/type TPMS you installed. I would presume an internal to the wheel application at the stem?? For my Harley, I use the FOBO application. Works pretty good, and not all that un-appealing screwed onto the valve stem. But would not look that cool (to me) hanging out at an angle from the mag wheels on an R.:frown2:

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,344 Posts
Curious as to what brand/type TPMS you installed. I would presume an internal to the wheel application at the stem?? For my Harley, I use the FOBO application. Works pretty good, and not all that un-appealing screwed onto the valve stem. But would not look that cool (to me) hanging out at an angle from the mag wheels on an R.:frown2:
I like the Orange Electronic P409 system, though there are others here who have expressed that they have had issues with it. I bought it on Amazon and found that when the wheel batteries start to die it is better to just buy a new kit than to try for replacement wheel units. About $100 for the kit. 4 wheels and it provides temp and pressure of all wheels all the time.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
I like the Orange Electronic P409 system, though there are others here who have expressed that they have had issues with it. I bought it on Amazon and found that when the wheel batteries start to die it is better to just buy a new kit than to try for replacement wheel units. About $100 for the kit. 4 wheels and it provides temp and pressure of all wheels all the time.
Thanks for the feedback, I went to the site for Orange Electronics, but after viewing it, I was still not sure of just how the (sensors) were installed. Is this setup in fact (internal to the wheel) meaning there is no indication of a monitoring system.............or is it (external) meaning it is screwed onto the valve stem and shows up.??????????????????????:|

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,344 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, I went to the site for Orange Electronics, but after viewing it, I was still not sure of just how the (sensors) were installed. Is this setup in fact (internal to the wheel) meaning there is no indication of a monitoring system.............or is it (external) meaning it is screwed onto the valve stem and shows up.??????????????????????:|
Internal but uses provided metal valve stems so there is some indication of change.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
:smile2:

"I bought it on Amazon and found that when the wheel batteries start to die it is better to just buy a new kit than to try for replacement wheel units. About $100 for the kit."

Forgot to ask about the extent of the battery life.........My FOBO units on the Harley vary in battery life (less than a year mostly), but swapping out batteries is quick and easy.

Not so much for these you are using. So, how often do you find yourself popping for a new kit.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Thank goodness I have never had A flat. I, however do carry a universal donut spare and bottle jack in the rear compartment.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts