Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled out of my driveway this AM and got about 200 feet down the road when I felt the tire down. Right rear and deader'n a door nail. Called the dealer "Roadside Assistance" number and they came out and towed it to the dealership. Called me and said there was a nail in it and that there may be some sidewall damage to it. Waiting on the call back. Kind of helpless feeling without a spare. :eek :( :nodno

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Assisitance

Oh yeah - the service was great. The driver even dropped me off at work. Couple of wise @$$ coworkers outside having a cig asked me if the dealer was repo-ing already.

They called back - plugged the nail hole and determined there was no side wall damage - $15.60 and I'll pick it up after lunch.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
It's a sad club to be in. :cry The last 20 years I don't think I've had, oh maybe 3-4 flats. The last 4 months of SSR ownership, I've had two. It's not that you don't have a spare that's bad. You don't even have a jack or lug wrench either.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Plug, patch or replace???

Had a problem with a "puncture" the first week of ownership last fall. :yawn

Took the truck to my friendly Goodyear dealer who carefully inspected and then pronounced the sidewall was fine but then suggested if it was his he'd not plug it but either replace (preferred) or patch the inside (which we did because there was no replacement tire readily (like within 2 hours) available.... This guy is a real pro (all the local Porsche guys with their 19 and 20 inch wheels come to him because he has both a tire machine and balancer from a company called Corgi that is supposed to be what Ferrarri and Porsche use at the factory> no wheel damage<) and was able to re-balance the wheel without problem and used amazing weights all at no charge for a ride around the block!

I spoke to three GM dealership's service managers this afternoon and none were too hot on removing the tire from the rim to repair with a patch (all had bogus excuses> one finally admitted they were really worried about damaging the rim and their equipment liley would not dismount the 19 inch wheel<). Each wanted to just plug which I am not convinced is the appropriate way to repair this sort of a tire and expect to have a full service life!

Does anyone have any guidelines as to how to properly repair these tires when there has been NO sidewalk damage if you want to get the full life out of the tire
?

drc :thumbs

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Just a can of goop and a 12v electric air compressor.
It should have at least a lug wrench and jack as well.

I had the opprotunity to remove the wheel to take it to the tire shop, and couldn't because the tools weren't there.

R

·
0 Posts
Spare needed

I guess I am Boy Scout oriented So the first thing I would do is buy a spare and jack. I can't believe there is no spare. With all the educated engineers on this project and they can't figure out where to put a spare?? Do they expect ya'll to just drive around the neighborhood? However, this is an easy fix

·
Premium Member
9,218 Posts
Not really so easy - I looked into it, and the only logical combination would be a 19" wheel with a larger diameter tire. The larger tire mounted on the front would require extremely careful driving - it's 1" more in diameter, which would mean potential problems with the tire rubbing the fender on anything except a very shallow turn.

You can't run a front wheel and tire on the rear because of the smaller diameter - the Torsen locking rear end won't be happy - potential for serious differential problems. I will probably have the wheels off to paint the calipers this fall, and I'll try a front wheel on the rear. If it has enough clearance not to rub on any critical parts it wouldn't require a spacer.

I must admit I was a little nervous driving to the west coast from North Carolina with no spare, but no problems. Next major trip will be to Vegas and San Francisco, and back along the coastal highway, with fingers crossed. (Haven't told my wife yet that there is no spare - don't want to ruin the joy of carefree driving.)

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Why all the worry? corvettes have the same deal. The flat tire repair kit is more than adequate. Familiarize yourself with it and the manual and you will be fine.

·
Registered
277 Posts
cruzned said:
Why all the worry? corvettes have the same deal. The flat tire repair kit is more than adequate. Familiarize yourself with it and the manual and you will be fine.
Not quite, Corvettes have run flat tires and will run good enough to get to a tire shop. We have normal go flat tires and a nail is all you need. Of course, if it's a nail leak, and we catch it in time, the repair kit will save us. But break the tire from the rim and we are done and will need towed away.

R

·
0 Posts
run flat tires??

Are there such animals as run flat tires for the SSR? I had a diesel Bus Motorhome and we didn't have a spare and that always concerned me. It didn't concern the dealer but it wasn't him and his family on the road. I would rather have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. Oh by the way of cellular phones...maybe in your part of the country you have service everywher but in Arkansas.... where you will need it most you won't have any.

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
No only are there complications with the Torsen, but the ABS would be an issue with the different diameters. The Z06 Corvette did not have run flat tires and used the same inflator kit that the SSR has.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I agree with Freezer, all my corvette friends have inflation kits, no run flats, however some have converted over to run flats and said they are too loud and rougher ride too!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Flat Tire

Run flats are only available in limited sizes and mostly to fit the Corvette. They are not cheap (already put a set on my Vette) and they do ride a bit more harsh and noisier than conventional tires.

I too think SSR would have been great for "run flats" but I think it would have added too much to the cost structure (tire cost and the required sensor).

It would have also made the truck ride more like a truck.......probably not what most folks want.

Regarding tire repair, here's some simple rules:

1) if puncture is on sidewall or within two inches of sidewall.....get new tire.

2) if puncture is in middle area of tire, go with inside patch not "plug". Only patch tire once. Patch can withstand much more heat and speed over plug. These tires can only be patched once.

3) Go to someone who can handle custom wheels. Most Goodyear shops can do it these days with the new Hunter machines.

Good Luck. Regards, CARNUT

·
Registered
2 Posts
Runflats

All C5 Corvettes that have the runflats DO NOT have the tire kit. Only the ZO6 has it provided with the car. The runflats are supposed to run up to 200 miles on a flat. Enough distance to get you to a dealer, gas station or tire store. I have a tire jack ordered from Germany that is supposed to fit under the rocker panel for lifting the car. I made the lifting adapters that go inside the lift sockets out of hockey pucks and eye bolts. My next search will be for a tire compressor and patch kit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts