Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm a 6 day "newbie" with my Red #1375 but this cheesy hood prop has me concerned already. Is it as flimsy as it looks or does it do a good job of holding the hood open? This may have already been discussed in more detail so pls. let me know if my fears aren't warranted. Is there any type of hydraulic strut available to replace the factory prop? I just thought a car of this quality and price would have had a more "substantial" prop rod. I love my SSR and not trying to nitpick but I'd hate to have that heavy hood fall on me while I'm tinkering around under the hood.

S

·
0 Posts
It may be more of an issue of perception than any kind of actual danger. The prop rod is curved to match the shape of the fender where it has to be stored. It could be that you're more used to seeing straight prop rods, and because you see more deflection than you're used to it seems like a concern.

The design has been tested to the usual requirements, such as a semi passing by at close range going 60 MPH, and wouldn't be out there if it didn't pass.

If you want to try to come up with your own retrofit, bear in mind that it might be necessary to plan for some sort of additional reinforcement on both ends where the hood strut attaches. If you don't, it might be possible that over time you will find cracks in your fenders or that the hood doesn't line up properly.

You might also keep an eye out for a dealer installed accessory package in 2004. Or keep an eye out for future models to see if it becomes a standard factory installation.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
:cheers Thanks Slipangle. You are probably correct. Would hate to see cracks in those fenders for sure, and since I see you are an engineer and live in Michigan, well, 2 + 2=you know....I believe you....Ed:) By the way, others on the forum have mentioned that the four click method on the key fob should lower the windows but has not worked for us. Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Hood prop

After taking my truck to the dealer for an oil change, I noticed the hood prop was slightly bent, as it did not fit back into it's clip as it had previously......I hope that this isn't a precursor to future head injuries.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hood Prop Rod.

NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) wants to be notified of any vehicle that has a defect which could cause a crash or COULD CAUSE INJURY OR DEATH. I think the SSR prop rod falls into that category. I've been to 3 Chevrolet Service Depts. and they agree the rod isn't stable enough to properly support the heavy hood but there's nothing they can do because GM isn't offering any alternatives to solve the problem. I've read on this site of 2 or 3 owners saying their rod has bent allowing the hood to fall. This hood weighs about 3 times that of a normal hood and if you're under the hood "tinkering" and the rod bends allowing the hood to fall you're going to get severely injured or killed. Supposedly the 2004 SSR's will come from the factory with "struts" rather than the rods that were installed on 2003's but GM isn't offering any relief or retrofits for the 2003's. NHTSA's phone # is 1-800-424-9393. There's strength in numbers and if enough 2003 (and 2004 owners that don't have the NEW hood struts installed) owners contact NHTSA about this SAFETY DEFECT then maybe GM will get off their duffs and rectify the problem before one of us is seriously injured or worse. I sincerely feel this is a problem that demands immediate attention on GM's behalf and hope some of you feel the same and will call the NHTSA. Thanks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Rod Clip

I'd love to see a fix for the flimsy rod, but what about the real flimsy clip. That little white thing was broken on half the showroom SSRs I looked at and when I thought to look at mine the first day...sure enough it was broken, too. I suppose GM would replace it, but a new one surely wouldn't last either. Has anyone come up with a better way to stow the prop rod? A strut sounds like a good answer to both issues, but they don't seem to live long either. My Nissan Maxima has one and I now have to hold the hood up with one hand to check the oil. They get weak or lose gas or something. Maybe a 2x4???

D

·
0 Posts
My hood prop seems to be alright. I don't know if it's because it's a 2004 with a heavier rod or just my imagination. I know the hood is a heavy one.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
My hood prop repacement that the dealer accidentaly damaged is in finally! I think struts are in the works for the future. Hope we see a TSB on it soon.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hood Prop

How could GM let a $45,000.00 Auto out in public with such a
Mickey Mouse hood prop??????????????? Mofo

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still Fighting for a Better Hood Prop Rod.

I contacted the Chevrolet Customer Service 800 # back in Feb., explained my unhappiness with the flimsy hood prop rod, the rep. assigned me case #, and said Chevy would investigate. Never ever heard anything back from Chevrolet. In June I E-mailed the GM Link site explaining the matter and telling how my hood prop rod had bent allowing the hood to fall. Luckily I was not under the hood when it fell. GM Link telephoned me and said I should take it to my servicing Chevrolet dealer so they could look at it and install a new hood prop rod that wasn't bent. My local dealer didn't seem the least bit concerned with the matter but did install a new prop rod. When the GM Press Media release came out stating that the new 2005 SSR's would have "gas assisted, self-supporting hood struts" I e-mailed the info. to GM Link showing that GM had a better idea than the flimsy rods installed on the 2003 & 2004 models and that I thought GM should retrofit this new strut system for the 2003 & 2004 owners. Got a call from GM Link 2 wks. ago and the rep. said that GM is investigating the matter and the more SSR owners that complain about the inferior prop rod the better the chance that GM would do something to rectify the problem. There are now 2 complaints filed with the NHTSA about this and the rep said that the more complaints NHTSA gets, the more attention GM execs. will pay to it. Therefore, if any of you think the hood prop rod is a problem pls. let your dealer and NHTSA know about it. There's strength in numbers and all that. You can e-mail NHTSA at www.nhtsa.gov. Thanks. Yeah, I REALLY want those gas-assisted, self-supporting Hood struts ny my 2003 SSR!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Sent mine out this morning. C'mon guys...let's get in touch with them so they can give us a decent hood prop that is safe!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Me too, me too, me too...

Office of Defects Investigation

VOQ Confirmation

Your Complaint Information is successfully submitted.
Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: xxxxxxxx
I decided to file an actual complaint - the falling hood this morning when I was getting ready to check the oil convinced me.

No injuries, no damage (except the mess in my britches), but either Chevrolet adds the pneumatic arms or I will. I added them to my '83 S-10 for about $25 and I can do it to this thing, too.

Diggs

·
Registered
54 Posts
Submitted my complaint!

All SSR owners need to get on board with this one... It's only a matter of time before someone gets hurt. I paid 50K for a beautiful truck, NOT JAWS! I feel that complaining to GM will do little but complaining to a government body is the only way to go... NHTSA will force GM to take action.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hood Prop

I had already filed an "official" complaint form with the NTSB months ago. Never heard back from them, but I didn't expect to, either.

Let's keep on this one, and we all stand a good chance of getting the "05 improvement for free. ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
:rolleyes: Hey.....let's tell them that when we pull out into traffic, that it's a little sluggish, and maybe we can force GM to retrofit the LS2 in our trucks too! :jester

·
Registered
222 Posts
Filed

Jus filed my complaint on the hood support POS. :banghead

What the heck were they thinking??? :confused I know....they weren't!!! :nono

:cool

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
I sent mine today! Hope this gets someone's attention. I added the fact that we take the SSR to car shows and people are always looking under the hood and what a serious accident it would be, if the prop gave way. It may not be as big a deal if it is an owner because accidents happen that way a lot but when it comes to public safety well they make take notice.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts